Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

BKK overnight transit... will this work??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK overnight transit... will this work??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Plat, SwissBel Gold
The point is...

Originally Posted by Soju
Definitely, I'd go for the Novotel over Louis Tavern in that case. But if someone really didn't want to leave the airport it is an option.

Getting sleep...How much longer an event and moving bags etc....I wouldn't go to the Novi, just curl up some place.. There is lots of room in the seats at the TG transit desk. The arrive at 5 or 530 and the placfe is quite until then!
figure, on the good side it will be 1.5 hours from plane to novi and maby 2 to you bed sleep 4 hours and back to the airport for the ops 7am HKT.....Look, go have a massage, (I would do that again) eat some food , have a drink use the shower at the TG lounge (if your status will get you there) and next thing you'll be in HKT... Look, a TG tix to HKT in C is about 40 or so USD more and that will get you into the lounge! Gotta love Chang Massage.....
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:36 pm
AAK

Programs: LH SEN, EBG Silver, QF Silver
I used the Louis Tavern rooms earlier this year in the old Airport, and I would not recommend them at all, unless they are vastly improved in the new airport.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Here's an update...

I called the number mentioned here for the Louis Tavern Dayrooms and was told that they did not take reservations. I called back and asked about a pre-paid booking and that didn't work either. I talked to my travel agent and all that she was able to dig up was that they didn't take reservations.

She forwarded a request to my hotel in Phuket (and included the Louis Tavern phone number) and voila! a reservation. So... apparently I have a room booked for the evening of my arrival and I even have a confirmation number. The odd thing is that the note from the hotel says that the booking is for the facility in concourse A. I thought that concourse A only had a Louis Tavern CIP lounge.

I will say that when I was there on 13/11 the facility looked a bit more extensive than just a lounge. Does anyone here know if the concourse A lounge has rooms? Anyone heading through in the next few days care to scope it out?

I'd hate to walk all the way over to G just to find out that there really are rooms in A.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:05 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
I also didn't see any rooms on concourse A when I walked by the LT lounge earlier this month. What day are you arriving? I'll probably be going out on a TG flight this Friday and will have a look then if I have time.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

I also didn't see any rooms on concourse A when I walked by the LT lounge earlier this month. What day are you arriving? I'll probably be going out on a TG flight this Friday and will have a look then if I have time.
I'm coming in Thursday night and will probably decide on which concourse to try first based on which gate UA837 arrives at.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:22 am

Realizing that AndrewP has long since figured it out, but just thought I'd post the situation for anyone else who may be using the dayrooms. They do have rooms now open on Concourse A. You need to go to the Louis Tavern Lounge on Concourse A, Level 3, and book your room there. They said the rooms are upstairs. I didn't actually use a room, just asked in case I wanted to use one in the future. TG tends to use gates on Concourse C a lot for international flights, so if you're arriving there, and wanting a dayroom, would recommend first going up the escalators to Level 3 once you get to the Concourse A/B/C/D intersection. Then a bit of a walk down Concourse A to the L.T. Lounge. Certainly much faster than going all the way over to Concourse G and then being told there are no rooms there.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We arrive TG SYD-BKK at 11pm December 25, and leave for Hanoi at 7.50am so do not want to waste time leaving airport, doing immigration, and ALSO incurring 1000 THB Tax!

Anyone got any idea which terminal SYD flight arrives at, and which one Hanoi usually leaves from?

Any from all the posts above no-one has posted the room RATES!!!

Does anyone have any idea on these for a 6 hour overnight block?

I'd be happy to paypal someone the dough if they are in the area before December 25 and would assist by pre-paying the room in cash or card for us. At least we know we have a room locked in then and can head right to it and catch some sleep.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
We arrive TG SYD-BKK at 11pm December 25, and leave for Hanoi at 7.50am so do not want to waste time leaving airport, doing immigration, and ALSO incurring 1000 THB Tax!

Anyone got any idea which terminal SYD flight arrives at, and which one Hanoi usually leaves from?

Any from all the posts above no-one has posted the room RATES!!!

Does anyone have any idea on these for a 6 hour overnight block?

I'd be happy to paypal someone the dough if they are in the area before December 25 and would assist by pre-paying the room in cash or card for us. At least we know we have a room locked in then and can head right to it and catch some sleep.
The rates are astronomical at the Louis Tavern even if you factor in the 1000 Baht airport tax you are better to go into town! IMO!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Sorry not to follow-up on this as I've been far to busy doing nothing in Phuket.

As Soju mentioned there are, indeed, dayrooms in the Concourse A LT lounge. The rooms are surprisingly large and surprisingly nice. Our room had a private bath and I'm assuming that all of the others are the same.

We'll be using the same facility on our return trip tomorrow night.

Everything worked out fine with our reservation, but it wasn't all as stress-free as we had hoped. I didn't realize that we would have to stand in line with the international pax at BKK to get our domestic BPs and didn't allow nearly enough time. We finally broke out of the line and begged the TG agent at the OZ desk to issue our BPs. She took care of us and we ran to the gate at the end of the A concourse.... just barely made it.

It got worse when we made it to Phuket and discovered that our checked luggage had been ransacked at some point in the journey. I'm assuming that it was during the 6 hour overnight layover at BKK. They cut the locks off and went through EVERYTHING. Fortunately we didn't have anything of value (or at least perceived value) in the luggage and didn't lose anything.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:42 pm

Thanks for that update, and nice to hear that the dayrooms are of decent quality as they are a very tempting alternative to me at times. Sorry for not giving you a heads-up on the long queues at the transfer desk. At that time of day I only did it one time back at DM and not yet at Suvarnabhumi, but sounds like it hasn't improved any. At DM, and apparently still the same, the transfer desk doesn't open until 5AM, so all the overnighting passengers queue up before that to get their boarding passes. You have a *A Gold card, do you not? Don't they have a dedicated lane for Royal Silk and another for Royal First? You should have been able to go to the Royal Silk line, unless the passengers were ignoring the designations and TG wasn't properly enforcing it.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Don't they have a dedicated lane for Royal Silk and another for Royal First? You should have been able to go to the Royal Silk line, unless the passengers were ignoring the designations and TG wasn't properly enforcing it.
They have a Royal Silk line and we were in it... it wasn't moving, nor were any of the others.

We approached the international-to-domestic desk at 5:00AM and found a sign saying that the desk would open at 6:00AM. All of the signage in the airport led us to believe that this was the desk where we would get our BPs. We hung out in the lounge until about 6:15 (7:00AM flight) and found out that we had to stand in the line for the international desk to get our domestic BPs. The sad thing is that when we passed the international desk at 5:00AM there was no line.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:27 am

Programs: United Premier
Backpacker's alternative

[QUOTE=andrewp;6728968]Well, I called the Louis Tavern dayroom facility and they still are not accepting reservations. When asked she did say that they were often fully booked overnight. Since my flight gets in late I'm not sure if I want to risk it or not.

I just came through there and found a waiting area ostensibly for Thai customers, but open to anyone in the end of the B concourse towards domestic. I think I went up one or two levels from arrival, but one down from the level where the food and shops are. Follow the signs to the "Business center." Here there were couches and comfortable chairs where you could fully recline and dozens of coffee-shop type stools and desks with free wi-fi internet and electricity. Probably 20 people were sleeping on these couches in reasonable comfort and I enjoyed the internet access all day. So if you get stuck without a dayroom available but don't want to go outside, this would be a reasonable alternative for a comfortable nap since you only have a short stop. I suppose they could be full, but there were a lot of places there to sleep. Anyone else have experience with the Thai lounge couch availability at midnight?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
Here are the rates for the Day Rooms:

Standard Room
4 Hours: 2,000 THB
6 Hours: 3,000 THB
8 Hours: 4,000 THB
10 Hours: 5,000 THB
12 Hours: 6,000 THB

Suite
4 Hours: 3,200 THB
6 Hours: 4,800 THB
8 Hours: 6,400 THB
10 Hours: 8,000 THB
12 Hours: 9,600 THB

There's a small family-run hotel in Bangpli not too far from the airport, the Sananwan Palace. Air-conditioned rooms only cost 300 to 500 Baht and they'll pick you up at the airport if you let them know ahead of time, for an additional 500 Baht. There's a guy staying there right now, who's posted info and pix here, and you can read the thread on Lonely Planet here.

Now I know this isn't up the standard some of you guys insist on with your name-brand luxury hotels, but it seems to be comfortable, it has a pool (my main jet-lag remedy) and you get to experience a bit of "real Thailand" outside the tourist ghettos and 5-star hotels. And no, bathrooms are not commonly shared in Thainland except in absolute rock-bottom budget digs.

Even counting the transportation and the 500 Baht departure tax (yes it's 500 not 1000), it's still much less expensive than the Louis Tavern dayrooms. And they take reservations, too.

I'm going to start a new thread with this info, so it gets noticed.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dawson
I just came through there and found a waiting area ostensibly for Thai customers, but open to anyone in the end of the B concourse towards domestic. I think I went up one or two levels from arrival, but one down from the level where the food and shops are. Follow the signs to the "Business center." Here there were couches and comfortable chairs where you could fully recline and dozens of coffee-shop type stools and desks with free wi-fi internet and electricity. Probably 20 people were sleeping on these couches in reasonable comfort and I enjoyed the internet access all day. So if you get stuck without a dayroom available but don't want to go outside, this would be a reasonable alternative for a comfortable nap since you only have a short stop. I suppose they could be full, but there were a lot of places there to sleep. Anyone else have experience with the Thai lounge couch availability at midnight?
That's the THAI Economy Transit Lounge, open to anyone. Seems a lot of people don't know that it exists. Great place to relax if you don't have any lounge access.

I haven't had a look at it late at night, but back at Don Muang the dinky transit lounge with just standard uncomfortable chairs was fairly busy late at night with passengers who didn't want to pay for a dayroom. So I imagine that the new transit lounge will also be fairly full of these type of passengers late at night.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
Originally Posted by andrewp
- If shower/bath facilities at the transit hotel are shared (or otherwise nasty) use the showers in the D concourse TG Business Lounge. Otherwise just wait in the lounge.
I was at the lounge at end of November. The lounge attendant told me there is no shower facility at the lounge !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.