Wiki Posts
Search

BKK - Ibrik by the River versus Old Bangkok Inn - Room info pls

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta
BKK - Ibrik by the River versus Old Bangkok Inn - Room info pls

Searched here and Trip Advisor and Fodors......(eyeballs crossed/brain fried).

Couple of questions - we really prefer a small hotel experience and are narrowing down our choices for 5 nights in Bangkok in January.

Ibrik by the River - Sunshine Room is available - has anyone stayed in it? Have read conflicting information - some say it's too small, some say spacious - any opinions?

Old Bangkok Inn - think I would prefer the Lemongrass Room (garden) but it's not available - the other available rooms (Jasmine, Orchid) are described as "lofts" - sometimes that can describe two small rooms with a steep staircase - anyone stayed in either of those rooms? Also on the website it looks likes the bed is pushed against one wall in the Jasmine room??

Other choices still are La Residence and I've emailed Atom at Chakrabongse Villas so many times now I'm embarrassed and considering a new email address - but unfortunately they are full.

At this point my head says La Residence (nice big studio suite with balcony in a fairly accessible location) but my heart says Ibrik by the River (I can picture myself sitting on the terrace watching the world go by). My biggest concern with Ibrik is that it's a somewhat challenging location for a first time Asia/Bangkok visitor. Having said that we're very experienced travelers and enjoy an adventure.

Any comments would be appreciated!
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by ElizabethS
Searched here and Trip Advisor and Fodors......(eyeballs crossed/brain fried).

Couple of questions - we really prefer a small hotel experience and are narrowing down our choices for 5 nights in Bangkok in January.

Ibrik by the River - Sunshine Room is available - has anyone stayed in it? Have read conflicting information - some say it's too small, some say spacious - any opinions?

Old Bangkok Inn - think I would prefer the Lemongrass Room (garden) but it's not available - the other available rooms (Jasmine, Orchid) are described as "lofts" - sometimes that can describe two small rooms with a steep staircase - anyone stayed in either of those rooms? Also on the website it looks likes the bed is pushed against one wall in the Jasmine room??

Other choices still are La Residence and I've emailed Atom at Chakrabongse Villas so many times now I'm embarrassed and considering a new email address - but unfortunately they are full.

At this point my head says La Residence (nice big studio suite with balcony in a fairly accessible location) but my heart says Ibrik by the River (I can picture myself sitting on the terrace watching the world go by). My biggest concern with Ibrik is that it's a somewhat challenging location for a first time Asia/Bangkok visitor. Having said that we're very experienced travelers and enjoy an adventure.

Any comments would be appreciated!
We had planned on staying at Arun Residence, we had the roof garden suite reserved, but plans changed.

We have not stayed there, but it looks just fantastic. Worth a look, IMO.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElizabethS

We are staying at both of these places next month if you can wait...
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta
Just when I think I've stopped looking at new places - blammm - the Arun Residence link happens!

It looks lovely - I've emailed them for availability. It actually might be the better river location for us a I think it's more accessible.

Will post a review here no matter where we stay.

Also to the poster who is staying at OBI and Ibrik next month - any comments would be great - thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Ibrik by the River is small and hard to find. We were in the sunshine room and it was nice. The staff wasn't too helpful and spoke very limited english (including forgetting a wake up call).

The Old Bangkok Inn was great. :-: :-:
Simply fantastic. Joey and his mother run a very nice boutique hotel aimed at tourists. They are super helpful and go out of their way to ensure that you get what you want from your stay in Bangkok. The staff is eager to help and give reccomendations. Plus, I think the location is a bit more convenient.

I think the Old Bangkok Inn is a wonderful value for a small boutique hotel and don't hesitate to recommend it or stay there again.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
by the river

I like to stay by the river in BKK, and would choose a hotel accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.