Wiki Posts
Search

Overnighting at new BKK airport?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Overnighting at new BKK airport?

Will arrive 11/09 late night (11pm) at the new airport in BKK and transit out the very next morning (9am). I don't think going into town for a few hours is a good idea.

Any suggestions???
Are there any *A lounges, or pay lounges that are open?
Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
There are "day-rooms" which have just opened and are quite expensive:
Standard Room
4 Hours: 2,000 THB
6 Hours: 3,000 THB
8 Hours: 4,000 THB
10 Hours: 5,000 THB
12 Hours: 6,000 THB

Suite
4 Hours: 3,200 THB
6 Hours: 4,800 THB
8 Hours: 6,400 THB
10 Hours: 8,000 THB
12 Hours: 9,600 THB

More here.

And there's a guest house with a pool about 5 km from the airport in Bangpli which only charges 350 Baht for an A/C room (500 Baht for a "superior" room): Sananwan Palace
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:04 am

There is a Novotel at the airport.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:26 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by wideman
There is a Novotel at the airport.
I've read some dreadful reviews of this new property, mostly concerning incompetent check-ins. I'm arriving late on 11/7, are there any other options somewhat nearby? My flight to Phuket the next day is not until 10:45 the next morning.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:56 pm

Programs: United Premier
Question Question about Sanawan Palace

Originally Posted by billp
And there's a guest house with a pool about 5 km from the airport in Bangpli which only charges 350 Baht for an A/C room (500 Baht for a "superior" room): Sananwan Palace

Has anyone stayed here? What about meals? Is it nicer than the price would indicate? It looks okay in the photo. I will be traveling through BK in November, arriving on a Friday afternoon, spending one night in BK and most of the next day, flying out at 6pm. I liked staying at the Rama Gardens at the old airport, especially enjoying the breakfast and areas for walking, but am a little befuddled by figuring out what is around that I would both enjoy and feel safe at.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:51 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
What about the hotels listed as "Airport - nearby Suvarnabhumi" on Sawadee ?
http://www.sawadee.com/hotels/bangkok.html

How difficult would it be for a first timer to get to those places by taxi ?

Thanks,
Yann
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by RK7
I've read some dreadful reviews of this new property, mostly concerning incompetent check-ins.
RK7 -

Where, please, did you read those reviews?
Since Novotel at BKK airport is valuable for transit travellers, learning more about it would be important.

Thank you.

- Peter
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by yann
What about the hotels listed as "Airport - nearby Suvarnabhumi" on Sawadee ?
http://www.sawadee.com/hotels/bangkok.html
How difficult would it be for a first timer to get to those places by taxi ?
It shouldn't be very difficult or far by taxi, but it is advisable to print out the Thai language directions/address (if available on the website) or ask the hotel to email or fax Thai language instructions as there is no certainty that the taxi driver will know where the hotel is.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:20 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by Dawson
Has anyone stayed here? What about meals? Is it nicer than the price would indicate? It looks okay in the photo. I will be traveling through BK in November, arriving on a Friday afternoon, spending one night in BK and most of the next day, flying out at 6pm. I liked staying at the Rama Gardens at the old airport, especially enjoying the breakfast and areas for walking, but am a little befuddled by figuring out what is around that I would both enjoy and feel safe at.
I wonder if this place is at Lat 13.604714°, Lon 100.715338° viewed on Google Earth. If so, one concern I would have is that it may be on the flight path to/from BKK. For anyone who has stayed at the Comfort Suites at the old BKK, you know that can make for a restless night. Bring earplugs.

On the other hand, the price and distances are right. And it beats going all the way into town when all you want is a couple of hours rest. I wouldn't be too concerned about the price being too low for something decent. Once you're out of tourist central in Thailand, prices like these are pretty representative. The toilet may even be western. The canal may be a bit stinky.

It would be helpful to know if there's a 7/11 or Family Mart close by that sells cheap SIMs, another traveller's essential. The local Mooyin restaurant looks promising since their website is all in Thai. Looks like it's time for a recon trip.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:16 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by rjh
It would be helpful to know if there's a 7/11 or Family Mart close by ...
Not so much an "if" but more of a "which one is closer."
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:01 pm
formerly known as RK7

Originally Posted by Peter4
RK7 -

Where, please, did you read those reviews?
Since Novotel at BKK airport is valuable for transit travellers, learning more about it would be important.Thank you.- Peter
I saw them at Trip Advisor e.g.: My check-in (around 6:00p.m.) was processed smoothly, but check-out at 6:00a.m. was a bit of hassle. There were about a dozen people waiting, in three seperate queues, and I had to wait for 30 min. before my turn came. Some people, afraid of missing their flights, started to shout at the hotel staff.
I've also run across the Grand Inn Come Hotel which does not look quite as opulent as the Novotel, it looks to be fairly close to the new airport.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Thanks for the link to the reviews! I am also wondering if the tunnel from BKK to the hotel is open yet? I hope to avoid the shuttle bus, so I hope it will be done soon. We have reservations at the hotel on November 23 and November 29. I hope someone can update us as th ework progresses and the staff gets used to all the new systems.
Kate
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Thanks!!

Thank you all for the suggestions. ^
Does anyone know if any of the Star Alliance lounges are open 24 hours?
I'm hoping Thai Airways has at least 1 lounge open all night. They have several there, but could not find their hours of operations on the website.
Thanks again.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:02 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by RK7
I've also run across the Grand Inn Come Hotel which does not look quite as opulent as the Novotel, it looks to be fairly close to the new airport.
If the map is to be believed, the hotel is about 1.3km to the west of the western runway, maybe at Lat 13.677790°. Lon 100.722396°. This is one of those areas where Google Earth has low resolution.

The Sanawan Palace hotel, also discussed in this thread, is about 8km further south. Grand Inn Come looks pretty good for THB1150 nett, especially the 24 hour restaurant. Closing early was always a problem with the cheapo airport hotels by old-BKK.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:22 pm
formerly known as RK7

Originally Posted by rjh
If the map is to be believed, the hotel is about 1.3km to the west of the western runway, maybe at Lat 13.677790°. Lon 100.722396°. This is one of those areas where Google Earth has low resolution.

The Sanawan Palace hotel, also discussed in this thread, is about 8km further south. Grand Inn Come looks pretty good for THB1150 nett, especially the 24 hour restaurant. Closing early was always a problem with the cheapo airport hotels by old-BKK.
Thanks, RJH. I think I will try the Grand Inn Come--I mean it can't be more than a 5 minute cab ride, can it? Why pay more for bad service at the Novotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.