Wiki Posts
Search

New Bangkok Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
New Bangkok Airport

I just reserved a late November BKK trip. I recalled hearing that a new airport was supposed to open in the near future. A google search suggests the much delayed airport will open Sept. 28 th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport

Does anyone have a definitive update? I am going on to HKT. Will the new airport have a hotel for short stays?

Will domestic flights leave from the new airport or will one have to travel to the old airprt for domestic connections?
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:29 pm

About the only thing you can count on is that they aren't likely to make that opening date.

-David
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Uncivil, personal attack posts deleted.

Thread moved to the appropriate forum, since not United-related

cblaisd
Moderator, United

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 9, 2006 at 11:40 pm Reason: Spelling/typo
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My friend works for TG and last time I talked to him (which was way back in Jan) he said that it won't open till 2007......(you know Thai people too much corpution)
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
This thread in the TG forum has the latest publicly available info on when Suvarnabhumi will open. At the moment, the first commercial flights are scheduled for late July; they're just test flights on TG and some LCC's from elsewhere in Thailand. Standards testing and IATA certification has begun, I understand. The biggest open issues have been cracks in the runways and terminal tile floors. The biggest question will be, can the Thais actually pull it off? (Recall, the switch from Kai Tak to Chek Lap Kok was not exactly a smooth one in the early days.)

The September 28th date continues to hold, at least for now, and the government is basically ordering all airlines to operate all flights through Suvarnabhumi from that date, like it or not. At this point, the opening date is a political football, with "caretaker" PM Thaksin Shinawatra pushing firmly to open by September 28, which just happens to be a few days before the on-again-off-again general election in which he evidently hopes to mount a comeback as a "can do" kinda guy. TG is doing the government's bidding, and the foreign airlines are politely avoiding confrontation (though they may be putting behind-the-scenes pressure on IATA to withhold certification). The September 28, 2006 date is also 365 days after the first-ever flights into Suvarnabhumi, so it's a bit of facing-saving for the officials who pushed to take that ceremonial flight a year ago.

Since it doesn't look like Don Muang will (be able to) handle the peak Thailand travel season in December-January, an opening something between September 28 and the Loy Kratong festival in late November seems likely, however well- or ill-advised it may be. My guess is ff100 will be flying through Suvanabhumi, though my guess is as good as anyone's.

Whenever it opens, both domestic and international flights will operate through Suvarnabhumi, so no cross-town connections for flights to HKT. (That would be a huge PITA for all the Scandinavian travelers and others who winter on Phuket, so Phuket's tourism industry would never permit it.) Accor is slated to open a Novotel at the new airport, but there's no telling when that will be ready for guests.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:58 am

- Sept 28th is in fact the currently scheduled date. Yes, it has been postponed several times before. Not such a shock since they've been working on this for 35 years already. So, plan on it, but be ready to change plans.

- The Airport code will temporarily be NBK, allowing for some promotional domestic flights later this month. This will change to BKK the day that flights are diverted from Don Muang.

- Don Muang will not remain open for scheduled flights. Maybe some cargo, some military; in the future it could possibly be used for LCC's, though it seems unlikely.

- Suvarnabhumi is pronounced with the "i" at the end as silent.

- There is no information readily available regarding transit hotels. In fact, the official Airports of Thailand site makes no reference to the new airport at all.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:45 am

My personal predictions, based on no concrete info whatsoever, but some experience of Thai face-saving and business practices, are:

- The airport will open on Sept 28, 2006, but on some sort of limited basis. Not sure how they'll do it, but I could see eg. only TG and subsidiaries shifting at first, and even they might fly only select (international?) flights. As a reference point, when SZB migrated to KUL in Malaysia, MH moved all int'l flights but kept most domestic flights at SZB until forced out.
- The first few days or weeks will be a massive clusterf***, especially if they are foolish enough to attempt an overnight big-bang migration. Both at HKG and SZB/KUL, baggage handling and cargo ops were particularly badly affected.

If I can help it I'll be steering well clear of Bangkok in October...

Last edited by jpatokal; Jul 10, 2006 at 6:53 am
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
We will be flying to BKK in September, arriving on the 28th (AY), flying out again on 10/3 (TG) and 10/10 (AY) -- be interesting to see if we will use the old or new airport or both...

Cheers,
T.

Originally Posted by jpatokal
My personal predictions, based on no concrete info whatsoever, but some experience of Thai face-saving and business practices, are:

- The airport will open on Sept 28, 2006, but on some sort of limited basis. Not sure how they'll do it, but I could see eg. only TG and subsidiaries shifting at first, and even they might fly only select (international?) flights. As a reference point, when SZB migrated to KUL in Malaysia, MH moved all int'l flights but kept most domestic flights at SZB until forced out.
- The first few days or weeks will be a massive clusterf***, especially if they are foolish enough to attempt an overnight big-bang migration. Both at HKG and SZB/KUL, baggage handling and cargo ops were particularly badly affected.

If I can help it I'll be steering well clear of Bangkok in October...
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Accor is slated to open a Novotel at the new airport, but there's no telling when that will be ready for guests.
I'm fairly certain this hotel is already open.

I haven't heard anything about any airside transit hotel?

For travel at the end of November I'd expect to transit Suwannapoom, i.e. the new airport.

I'm interested to hear how UA and NW will handle the opening day. With one flight in/out per day, will they land one night at Don Muang, then ferry the plane to Suvarnabhumi overnight for a departure the next morning? I think a few people will miss the flight.

edited to add:

Loy Kratong is Sunday, 5 November 2006; it is not a national holiday.

IATA and ICAO do not have any certification authority, that might be required in order for a new airport to commence operations.

Last edited by transpac; Jul 10, 2006 at 11:20 am
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by transpac
I'm fairly certain this hotel is already open.
Interesting -- Novotel's site for the hotel seems to imply they're up and running, but it also says the airport is expected to open in December 2006! The booking engine seems to accept dates in Sept, but no earlier.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bangkok Post Editorial, 11 July 2006

EDITORIAL

Rush to the flight gates

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his cabinet are taking an enormous gamble with their arbitrary plan to open the new Suvarnabhumi Airport without the full support from every airline, expert and company involved. The prime minister has tried for several years to present the airport as some sort of national treasure, and as a huge achievement of his own administration. Neither of these claims holds water.

By failing to get the agreement of all parties involved, the premier in fact is risking Thailand's reputation. Airport openings always are chaotic and even traumatic. Those who disagree with opening Suvarnabhumi in September will now be able to claim that the government is to blame for everything that goes wrong on opening day......

I put the link back in,

http://www.bangkokpost.com/110706_Ne...006_news15.php

so the full text should be available for a week or so.

Last edited by transpac; Jul 12, 2006 at 11:40 pm
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:45 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Couldn't agree more with the Bangkok Post's editorial. ^ ^
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:31 am

Programs: UA, DL
Today I was picking up my transit hotel voucher from my local Thai airlines office for my flight in early November which involves an overnight. I noticed that they wrote out the voucher for the Amari airport hotel, which is the hotel attached to Don Muang (the old airport). So, I said "but isn't the new airport opening Sept. 28th?" The Thai agent looked at me for a moment, laughed and then said you will be flying in to the old airport. I kept asking and they seemed quite sure that the new airport would not be operational in November. I finally got the instructions for changing on the off chance the new airport is open in Nov. It is pretty interesting that the Thai air employees are banking on the airport not opening in September. They seemed to think it was quite comical that I would even ask about the possibility of it being open. We shall see...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
I have a flight in November , I am betting on the old airport,

But if it is the new airport thats OK too , its basically the same cost Taxi ride , and taxis are dead cheap in BKK,

it was 150 baht , $4 from my hotel to the old airport , plus 60 baht expressway toll , July 13th 4am

So $5.50 total

Rally
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:29 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Early October

Originally Posted by rally
I have a flight in November , I am betting on the old airport,

But if it is the new airport thats OK too , its basically the same cost Taxi ride , and taxis are dead cheap in BKK,

it was 150 baht , $4 from my hotel to the old airport , plus 60 baht expressway toll , July 13th 4am

So $5.50 total

Rally
Unfortunately I am committed to fly in/out of BKK in early October (in with CX, out with QF). Sounds like a last minute guessing game as to whether the new airport will be open, and if so, which airlines will operate there in the early days.

Will watch with interest...

By the way, the above post seems to indicate that the new BKK will be about the same distance from the city as the old? I am planning on staying Riverside ~ will that be convenient for reaching the new airport?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.