New Bangkok Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Bangkok Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:51 pm

Programs: aa
From what I have read so far, it will not be any more convenient to get to the riverside area. At least not until they get all the new transportation systems in place. We will arrive in December on JAL and plan on the old airport still. I asked some of my family outside of BKK last week about the sept date for the new airport and they just laughed.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recent stories....

http://www.bangkokpost.net/breaking_....php?id=111871

First commercial flight lands on Suvarnabhmi Airport

The first commercial test flight from Don Muang Airport to Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airportof of Thai Airways International (THAI), the national flag carrier, landed successfully on the new airport Saturday morning as scheduled.

The THAI's Boeing 747-400 aircraft, TG181 flight, carrying Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, other cabinet members, senior government officials and other passengers, historically landed on Suvarnabhumi Airport's runway at 08:09 a.m.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/29Jul2006_news02.php

SUVARNABHUMI / MINISTER'S REACTION TO REPORT

AoT confident airport will be safe for September opening

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) has attended to risk areas at Suvarnabhumi airport and is confident that it will be safe for the commercial opening set for Sept 28, caretaker Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal said yesterday.

He was commenting on a report by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) on the eve of a test run for 21 local flights today.

The ICAO report identified 93 risk areas, including a lack of safety at the ends of runways.

Mr Pongsak said the risks the ICAO had identified were based on information that was not up-to-date.

To boost public confidence in the airport's safety, the Aviation Department would confer with the ICAO again with the latest available information.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/280706_Ne...006_news01.php

Airport has 'high risk' areas

Int'l civil aviation body questions its readiness

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK & SARITDET MARUKATAT

The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has questioned the readiness of Suvarnabhumi airport for its official opening on Sept 28.

The ICAO report, based on its information collected and observations made between last month and early this month, identifies 29 high-risk areas - or about one-third of the 93 items on its checklist.

Forty-three are rated as medium-risk and the rest low-risk.

It defines a high-risk item as one which "will most probably not be possible to resolve" before the opening date and could delay the opening plan.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems like things went pretty well yesterday...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/30Jul2006_news01.php

Carnival atmosphere on test day

Small hiccups cause minor inconvenience, but security systems at airport performed well, says Thaksin

Suvarnabhumi airport resembled a shopping and entertainment hub yesterday, throwing a fun fair extravaganza to welcome passengers of the first commercial test flights and airport visitors amid some infrastructural hiccups.

More than 10,000 people packed the airport, drawn by heavily discounted merchandise on offer at shopping stalls contracted to operate in the airport.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I'm flying HKG-CMB via BKK in late September. I hope the airport is open then I'd love to see what it looks like anything has to be an improvement on Old BKK.

Does anyone know will "King Power" still have a monopoly on everything at the airport
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
Does anyone know will "King Power" still have a monopoly on everything at the airport
Yes. (Seriously.)
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:22 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I can see I'll be as likely to spend my money on Duty Free in the new airport then as I was in the old airport in BKK in that case (as in, not at all). I guess they don't see the success that airports like SIN have had in having *good* prices for things in the airport - I know it's one place I'm happy to do my duty free shopping!
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
I can see I'll be as likely to spend my money on Duty Free in the new airport then as I was in the old airport in BKK in that case (as in, not at all). I guess they don't see the success that airports like SIN have had in having *good* prices for things in the airport - I know it's one place I'm happy to do my duty free shopping!
Yup. And you can also get a decent bite to eat without paying too much of a premium, unlike BKK, otherwise a city of amazing food (IMHO better than Singapore), where the best option is a KFC and even they yank up their prices a few hundred percent compared to the city. Incredibly shortsighted, but obviously the folks behind King Power are making such a killing that they can pull a few strings...
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:47 pm
Suspended

from TTG Asia

Airport confusion

September 28 deadline has trade scrambling to be ready

By Mark Bode and Sirima Eamtako

BANGKOK – A resolve by the Thai government to stick to its latest opening date for Suvarnabhumi Airport, September 28, has forced industry players into a last-minute scramble.

During a tour of the new airport on Saturday, TTG Asia was told by the Airports of Thailand (AoT) airlines had to be ready for the shift from Don Muang, which would close regardless of their preparedness.

But during a test of the airport by local carriers that day, airline lounges and offices at Suvarnabhumi were not ready, while roadworks around the airport were moving at a feverish pace.

Board of Airline Representatives (BAR) president, Mr Brian Sinclair-Thompson, said: “What I can say now is that we (international airlines) are not ready to move – the deadline is so unrealistic. But to be certain, we are conducting a survey on all international airlines’ readiness in all areas – offices, lounges, ground handling, operations, etc – to see which airlines are ready to move and which are not ready.”

Mr Sinclair-Thompson said BAR would consult with AoT if it was found a large number of airlines were unable to meet the deadline.

He added: “Airlines have been given a September 28 deadline to start all commercial operations out of Suvarnabhumi Airport. We were told to shift all operations prior to the date. The AoT said it would definitely close down operations at Don Muang on September 28.”

Scandinavian Airlines Ground Services (Thailand) managing director, Mr Axel Blom, said carriers needed a contingency plan in the event they could not meet the deadline, adding they required government support to overcome potential problems that could prevent them from being operational on time.

He said: “We know that it is beyond the authority (AoT) – it’s now the government’s order. The government has also repeatedly told airlines the airport will be ready for operations as of (September 28). We have no other choice but...there should be a contingency plan in case we are not fully ready.”

British Airways and Qantas manager for Thailand, Ms Julianne Rogers, admitted the rush was on to finish her airlines’ lounge on time.

Agents are also concerned. Thai Travel Agents Association (TTAA) president, Mr Anake Srishevachart, told

“I would suggest we slowly transfer operations instead of all moving in one go.”

Thai Travel Agents Association president, Anake Srishevachart

TTG Asia: “TTAA has requested for a site inspection of the new airport for our members, but was told by the AoT they were ‘not ready to accommodate our request’. After several calls, they have finally given us a September 11 date, but it’s too late considering the airport will be opened in two months. We should see it now, so we know what to prepare for our outbound operations. We need to tell customers what to do, where to meet, etc.

“We are confused as we understand the airport is not ready, nevertheless the prime minister has repeatedly insisted it would be ready for the September 28 opening.

“What is important is airlines must be able to complete their offices and lounges before moving to allow smooth operations. If all are not ready, I would suggest we slowly transfer operations instead of all moving in one go.”
Mr Anake said airport transfers were not a concern as two highways, Bang Na-Trat and Bangkok-Chonburi, linked the capital to Suvarnabhumi. Taxi cost to the city centre is expected to be similar to the cost from Don Muang.

Inbound operator, LTU Asia Tours managing director, Mr Raymond Honings, said: “What is more important is the incoming business: where we can park, where guides can welcome clients. There’s no indication as yet how that will function. It’s an area that’s often overlooked. The main focus is on airlines, but people still need to be dropped off and picked up.”

He added: “What I’m concerned about is the road works. The ramp that you need to exit off the elevated highway to get to the airport is not ready yet, and there’s no sign it will be soon. At the moment, you have to leave the elevated highway and travel about 10km to 12km on a heavily congested parallel road to get back on the elevated highway. The other approach on the motorway looks okay to me. The lack of a ramp will also hinder access to and from Pattaya.”

Diethelm Travel Asia COO, Mr Richard Brouwer, said: “For us, it’s more important to know where the ATTA (Association of Thai Travel Agents) parking area is, where the guides will be standing, how many exits will be in place.”

Hoteliers are also preparing. Marriott Resorts & Spas Thailand group general manager, Mr Jonathan Wigley, said his group had identified transfer routes and trained staff accordingly. “We are also changing collateral, website information and any related operation procedures.”

Best Western vice-president international operations, Mr Glenn de Souza, said his staff and agents had told him directional signs needed to be improved, while the parking facilities were not useful for pick-ups and drop-offs. “You also have to take a bus to the taxi stand at the airport.”

Last week, the Thai government slammed an International Civil Aviation Organisation report identifying 29 high-risk areas on a 93-item checklist, insisting the airport would be ready on time.

Suvarnabhumi connections

Suvarnabhumi Airport is located 15km on the eastbound Bang Na-Trat Highway, about 25km from Bangkok’s downtown. Five bus routes connect the airport to Bangkok. Taxis are available, and the AoT is conducting bids to have two private limousine operators (one to operate about 40 premium cars and another to operate between 100 and 130 standard cars). Thai Airways International will also provide a limousine service. The Thai Cabinet in June approved a 30 billion baht (US$789.40 million) budget for an elevated express train system from central Bangkok to the new airport. Construction will take about two years and is slated to begin later this year.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found this article re: dayrooms and contract lounges...

link to article

Monday, July 17, 2006
Hotel chief sees room for growth

Miracle Hotel owner spending Bt300 million on 'day rooms', snack bars and lounges at new airport

Aswin Ingkakun, the owner of the Miracle Grand Convention Hotel and Louis' Tavern Hotel, is spending Bt300 million on facilities at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, including hotel rooms, shops, waiting lounges and a hair salon.

Aswin is spending about Bt100 million to open a "day-room" hotel, called The Miracle by Louis' Tavern, which will be located inside the passenger terminal. The hotel will have 80 rooms and is scheduled to open when the airport begins operating at the end of September.

Aswin said the hotel would provide the same services as hotels outside the airport and its room rate would be Bt1,000 for six hours.

Also found this reference site...

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/
Old Aug 7, 2006, 9:58 am

I finally realized why Thaksin's pushing so hard to get the airport open by the end of September -- it'll be election time a few weeks later in October. Here's hoping he's smart enough to open it with some kind of partial face-saving measure instead of going for an almost-certainly-doomed big bang.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
I finally realized why Thaksin's pushing so hard to get the airport open by the end of September -- it'll be election time a few weeks later in October. Here's hoping he's smart enough to open it with some kind of partial face-saving measure instead of going for an almost-certainly-doomed big bang.
This theory has been bouncing around since the last election was voided, and the Election Commision, with Royal Decree, set the new election date for 15 Oct. He's way ahead in the polls. His constituency (rural, lower class) could care less about when the airport opens. Pushing to open the airport sooner rather than later, with the associated problems that are sure to happen, seems like it is all downside for TRT?

Airport opens on 28 Sep. Lot's of minor or even major problems. Democrats say how corruption and mismanagement led to all these problems. TRT is swept from office.

I think the push is on for 28 Sep because it is the one-year anniversary of the ceremonial landing, and the need to get things running before high-season and to just push people to finish the job. Setting a hard date, and pushing for it, is the only way to get the task completed.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
This article has got some tidbits related to the new airport

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/ind...d=54510&nav=20
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:21 am

Yesterday's Nation reported that the government now wants to move some domestic flights already starting on Sep 15, and today's Bangkok Post says that Thai is actually going to do this for a couple of flights a day. Free shuttle buses will be provided for people who need to transfer.

This is actually a fairly smart move if you ask me, hopefully they can work out some bugs in the two weeks before the Big Bang... and if they are willing to deal with two simultaneous airports, it would also seem to hint toward my earlier prediction of a staggered opening of some sort.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Yesterday's Nation reported that the government now wants to move some domestic flights already starting on Sep 15, and today's Bangkok Post says that Thai is actually going to do this for a couple of flights a day. Free shuttle buses will be provided for people who need to transfer.

This is actually a fairly smart move if you ask me, hopefully they can work out some bugs in the two weeks before the Big Bang... and if they are willing to deal with two simultaneous airports, it would also seem to hint toward my earlier prediction of a staggered opening of some sort.

A way dumb move, IMO. Jury is till out...how many bugs can you work out? But we welcome your predictions.

Quote: (Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 August 2006)

Next week, the board members who are responsible in developing Suvarnabhumi Airport will have a discussion on the possibility of this issue. Three alternatives will be discussed, and they include the transfer of all domestic flights, the transfer of flights that do not fly abroad afterward, or no transfer at all until September 28th. During the first two weeks, limousines in Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang will provide free services to the commuters.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Just hope you do not fly into the old airport and your connecting flight is at the new airport

This is going to be a mess , mostly because everyone except these officials know its not ready yet,

but then again they have a month to change the timing again

Rally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.