Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand - Currency Exchange

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:00 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by jtkauai
just interesting how differently men and women handle cash. i wouldn't like to step off the plane without at least 5 $100 bills in my pocket.
I am heading to a couple of smaller Thai islands where I'm told the hotels may be reluctant or not equipped to take credit cards. So I am packing 6000 baht, $500 traveller's cheques, and about $500 cash (US).
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:52 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
I am heading to a couple of smaller Thai islands where I'm told the hotels may be reluctant or not equipped to take credit cards.
Even if most of the hotels in those places don't take credit cards, it is very hard to find a place in Thailand that won't have at least a couple of banks with ATMs (I think the only place I've been in Thailand where I couldn't readliy locate an ATM was on Ko Samet). Out of more than a dozen trips to Thailand, outside of the airport on arrival I think I've used exactly one traveller's cheque, and that was on a weekend where the US Navy had depleted most of the ATMs. If you are worried about cash availability, I would recommend upping the baht count (6000 baht is only about $150 - not much for a few days hotel. meals and activities) before going to the smaller islands and not plan on relying so much on US cash and traveller's cheques. (I do carry a reserve of US cash and a small amount of TCs, but they are for emergencies only.)
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rampo
Even if most of the hotels in those places don't take credit cards, it is very hard to find a place in Thailand that won't have at least a couple of banks with ATMs (I think the only place I've been in Thailand where I couldn't readliy locate an ATM was on Ko Samet). Out of more than a dozen trips to Thailand, outside of the airport on arrival I think I've used exactly one traveller's cheque, and that was on a weekend where the US Navy had depleted most of the ATMs. If you are worried about cash availability, I would recommend upping the baht count (6000 baht is only about $150 - not much for a few days hotel. meals and activities) before going to the smaller islands and not plan on relying so much on US cash and traveller's cheques. (I do carry a reserve of US cash and a small amount of TCs, but they are for emergencies only.)
I am hoping that the $$$'s can be converted more favorably in Thailand....got like 36.9 to the dollar at DFW. I do have a day in Bangkok before island hopping.
The ATM is THE BEST way to go. However, I was in a near panic in Japan in May when the ATM's (I tried a few) would not accept my card and I was down to a few thousand yen. Posters in this thread have reassured me some that I should have no problem in Thailand despite a PIN starting w/ zero (BTW, not sure the PIN was the problem in Japan...it could have been unrelated). Maybe I will add a few baht before crossing the ocean, I just really don't like the exchange rate at the US airports.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In/around Bangkok...

Nearly every bank branch has an exchange counter, accessible from the street, which is typically open at extended hours, maybe 09:00 - 19:00. The major banks also operate exchange booths and kiosks throughout the city. I've found the exchange rates to be universally equal on any given day.

ATM's are plentiful but I would only use an ATM associated with a major bank. There are a lot of skimmers.

If using $100 USD bills, as previously mentioned, try to get 2001 dated or newer. It's just easier. There are a lot of counterfeit 100's (circa 1996) so avoid that year at all costs.

Upon arrival (baggage claim concourse, one floor down from immigration/passport control) they have these exchange machines. I confess that I've never used one but I see lots of people using them. I think you plop in a $20 or $100 and get THB. There is an exchange counter after you clear customs and enter the arrival concourse.

The best exchange rate is for USD traveler's checks, but only if the denomination is $500 or above, as there is a 33 baht fee (30+3) per check cashed. The next best exchange rate is for $50 or $100 USD bills, followed by $5-$20, then $1.

I think today's buying rate is 40.42 THB for a $100 bill and 40.72 THB for a TC.

I would be cautious about where you use a credit card. Hotel, upscale shops and restaurants, OK, but I wouldn't use one to buy a mobile phone at MBK. A friend used his credit card for a moderate purchase at Panthip (a huge PC-oriented shopping mall) and his card was immediately jacked. Plus you pay more with a CC, or less with cash.

Last edited by transpac; Oct 16, 2005 at 11:49 pm
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:34 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by transpac
Upon arrival (baggage claim concourse, one floor down from immigration/passport control) they have these exchange machines. I confess that I've never used one but I see lots of people using them. I think you plop in a $20 or $100 and get THB.
That's correct (and you can exchange other currencies for THB too, not just USD). I haven't really checked how the exchange rate compares with the airport counters, but have found these machines quick and easy to use.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by MovieMan
That's correct (and you can exchange other currencies for THB too, not just USD). I haven't really checked how the exchange rate compares with the airport counters, but have found these machines quick and easy to use.
I used these machines when I landed in BKK last year. 'Quick and easy' is definitely a good description. Make sure you use smaller bills or an odd amount so you get the smaller currency returned, the taxi drivers can't break the large bills.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:56 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Make sure you use smaller bills or an odd amount so you get the smaller currency returned, the taxi drivers can't break the large bills.
As someone pointed out earlier, if you get stuck with only a large bill make sure you give it to the taxi driver to pay at one of the toll booths on the way from the airport. You'll get all the change back.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
I am hoping that the $$$'s can be converted more favorably in Thailand....got like 36.9 to the dollar at DFW. I do have a day in Bangkok before island hopping.
The ATM is THE BEST way to go. However, I was in a near panic in Japan in May when the ATM's (I tried a few) would not accept my card and I was down to a few thousand yen. Posters in this thread have reassured me some that I should have no problem in Thailand despite a PIN starting w/ zero (BTW, not sure the PIN was the problem in Japan...it could have been unrelated). Maybe I will add a few baht before crossing the ocean, I just really don't like the exchange rate at the US airports.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you should bring bring baht to Thailand - I only meant that you should change your dollars/TCs to baht in Thailand before you go to the smaller islands if you are nervous that there won't be ATMs. (If there are no bank ATMs, then there probably won't be money exchange booths either, which means you would have to exchange the dollars at miserly hotel cashier exchange rates.)

ATMS should not be a problem in Thailand AT ALL. I ran into a situation similar to your's in Japan when I went to Rio - very, very few ATMs were hooked up to international networks. Thailand is not at all the same. Before going to the islands you may want to contact the hotels you are thinking about and ask them if ATMs are on island, or you could post the question to some forum like the one at thaivisa.com.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA MP+
7-Eleven's (which are practically on every corner in BKK) will take your 1000B notes... although, usually they want you to buy something first.

It is kind of odd to buy a 6b bottle of water and pay with 1000B, but whatever works!
Old Oct 30, 2005, 6:09 pm

Just returned from BKK today.
Exchange rate at BKK was 39.9 vs 40.5 for cash vs traveler checks for US dollars.

My ATM card (Pulse) worked flawlessly.

Recommendations for getting baht, in order:

1. ATM
2. Traveller Checks conversion
3. Cash conversion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.