Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DirtyDan
Moderator Note: this wiki contains a summary of the most frequent recommendations made in this thread, by active FlyerTalkers, based on personal experiences. Listed businesses are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk. Advertising is prohibited, and FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced. All spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

At-a-Glance Guide to FlyerTalkers' Favorite Bangkok Tailor Shops

Introduction

Appointments are strongly recommended for all tailor shops. Reputable shops are busy, and may find it difficult if not impossible to accommodate walk-ins, especially if they are first-time customers.

Detailed information about prices, quality, turnaround, etc., can be found within the thread or on the tailors' websites. Please feel free to post questions in the thread if you'd like specific feedback from other FlyerTalkers.

Shops Most Frequently Discussed in the Thread

Key: women's tailoring services available
Key: authentic luxury-brand fabrics, specialized workmanship, and/or more expensive overall, turnaround may be longer
Key: offers Thai or Asian styles as well as traditional western styles

Raja's Fashions
Tel +66 2 253 8379 or +66 2 253 8389 (Raja and Bobby, proprietors - father and son)
Area: Sukhumvit/Nana

Tailor on Ten
Tel +66 84 877 1543 (Alex or Ben, proprietors)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Tramp (no website) ♀ ♢♢
Tel +66 2 630-6649 or +66 89 816-6143 (Mr Kyi, proprietor - pronounced Kee)
Area: River/Bangrak

Rajawongse Clothier
Tel +66 xxx (Jesse or Victor, proprietors - father and son)

Universal Tailors ♀ ♢
Tel +66 816112313 (Mr RONNIE, proprietor)
Area: Silom Soi 18

Pinky Tailor ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Mr Pinky, proprietor)
Area: Ploenchit/Wireless

July Tailor ♢♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Sompop, proprietor)
Area: Silom/Saladaeng

Hermann Suits
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Narin Couture ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Narin, proprietor)

Cotton House (no website) ♀♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor) - specifically for women's clothing
Area: River/Bangkrak

New International Boutique House (aka Nick's) ♀
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)

Tanika Tailor ♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 (0) 2 229 4416
Area: Sukhumvit & Silom

Other Shops Mentioned in this Thread

• Milan or Inter-Milan
  • Mr Song or A. Song Tailor
  • Tanika
  • Art's
  • Crown
  • Lucky Man Fashions
  • Max's
  • Moon River
  • Nickerman's
  • Alex Fashions
  • Euro Boutique
  • James Fashions
  • Majestic Tailors
  • Versace's
  • World Group
  • Embassy Tailor

Last edit (DD): Removed ♀ from ToT - confirmed with shop.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are encouraged to update or add missing info to this wiki.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Tailors

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:35 am

You do not have to try 400 tailor shops to understand what is going on - you can live here a few years, talk to people who know what they are talking about, try several places in different ranges at different times and get your assessment. It's as much as you can do, unless of course you want to make it your life's mission and waste a huge amount of money on sub-par clothes. No thanks. I've had stuff made at the ones I mention, plus Raja, Rajawongse, Empire, Duly, Pinky, Forchong, the ones in Amarin Plaza and the Grand Hyatt, etc etc and many others.

There is no great difference in quality between the vast majority, they are not artisans or artists, they are money machines for gullible tourists. The tourists leave and can't really take anything back - so they are perfect customers. Plus, most men have no idea what they are buying. My short list of Tanika, Narin and TOT is pretty much researched - though I'm not saying you can't get ok stuff at Pinky or July or Duly or what have you. Empire are not bad as well. I know for a fact that no-one will do anything "semi-canvassed", the term is nonsense here, and for full canvass it's really only the first two. TOT will tell you this upfront if you ask them - they are honest about it. Sorry but those 1000 baht "Egyptian cotton" shirts that people are getting are garbage. Real fabrics are more expensive in Thailand than in Europe, as any decent tailor will admit. So ask your run of the mill guy to show you the selvedge bade on the roll if it's "genuine Italian blah blah." Nine times out of ten, you'll get an evasion and a wink. It's Chinese. Sorry, but it is. Not that Chinese fabrics are all bad - I have a few myself and they're quite ok. But not Thomas Mason, Monti, Piana etc. For that, you'll have to go to TOT and Tanka, and it's 4,800 to 8000 baht, no discussions. That's actually a good deal, and it's the one genuine bargain you can score in a Bangkok tailor shop. Narin has these too, but I find his measurements and cutting for shirts is just awful. Duly have nice fabrics, but there is no tailor in-shop so you are just being measured, not so to speak "bespoked." They'll fit ok, but not great.

ChocolateFasctory - the dreaded pocket flaring. Well, that's pants being too tight without drape and proper modeling. Most Bangkok "bespoke" is actually M to M using pre-made lasts ; so they just measure you and stamp that onto a model they already have. So it can "fit" and not fit at the same time. Contrary to popular myth, guys today wear stuff that is way too tight because they think it's fashionable. Especially shirts and pants ( jackets should be closely fitted ). Contrary to popular myth, it looks cheap and awful. Get them to let out the sides at the hips a little and see if the pant falls properly with one break just over the shoe. If not, you have to start again I'm afraid. Don't rely on Thai tailors for style advice, God help you - look up the pants sections on sites like Permanent Style or Parisian Gentleman. There is also the latter's take on Bangkok tailors by the way, which everyone should read carefully - but I can't post the link
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by faustus
You do not have to try 400 tailor shops to understand what is going on - you can live here a few years, talk to people who know what they are talking about, try several places in different ranges at different times and get your assessment. It's as much as you can do, unless of course you want to make it your life's mission and waste a huge amount of money on sub-par clothes. No thanks. I've had stuff made at the ones I mention, plus Raja, Rajawongse, Empire, Duly, Pinky, Forchong, the ones in Amarin Plaza and the Grand Hyatt, etc etc and many others.

There is no great difference in quality between the vast majority, they are not artisans or artists, they are money machines for gullible tourists. The tourists leave and can't really take anything back - so they are perfect customers. Plus, most men have no idea what they are buying. My short list of Tanika, Narin and TOT is pretty much researched - though I'm not saying you can't get ok stuff at Pinky or July or Duly or what have you. Empire are not bad as well. I know for a fact that no-one will do anything "semi-canvassed", the term is nonsense here, and for full canvass it's really only the first two. TOT will tell you this upfront if you ask them - they are honest about it. Sorry but those 1000 baht "Egyptian cotton" shirts that people are getting are garbage. Real fabrics are more expensive in Thailand than in Europe, as any decent tailor will admit. So ask your run of the mill guy to show you the selvedge bade on the roll if it's "genuine Italian blah blah." Nine times out of ten, you'll get an evasion and a wink. It's Chinese. Sorry, but it is. Not that Chinese fabrics are all bad - I have a few myself and they're quite ok. But not Thomas Mason, Monti, Piana etc. For that, you'll have to go to TOT and Tanka, and it's 4,800 to 8000 baht, no discussions. That's actually a good deal, and it's the one genuine bargain you can score in a Bangkok tailor shop. Narin has these too, but I find his measurements and cutting for shirts is just awful. Duly have nice fabrics, but there is no tailor in-shop so you are just being measured, not so to speak "bespoked." They'll fit ok, but not great.

ChocolateFasctory - the dreaded pocket flaring. Well, that's pants being too tight without drape and proper modeling. Most Bangkok "bespoke" is actually M to M using pre-made lasts ; so they just measure you and stamp that onto a model they already have. So it can "fit" and not fit at the same time. Contrary to popular myth, guys today wear stuff that is way too tight because they think it's fashionable. Especially shirts and pants ( jackets should be closely fitted ). Contrary to popular myth, it looks cheap and awful. Get them to let out the sides at the hips a little and see if the pant falls properly with one break just over the shoe. If not, you have to start again I'm afraid. Don't rely on Thai tailors for style advice, God help you - look up the pants sections on sites like Permanent Style or Parisian Gentleman. There is also the latter's take on Bangkok tailors by the way, which everyone should read carefully - but I can't post the link
Everything you write i can agree. I have been to Tanika and TOT few times. I would suggest that if you don't know what drape or canvas means, Go to TOT. You can get good overall and honest experience albeit they only make fused jackets. It's a good starting point to the sartorial journey. Their "house style" is quite slim and short with narrow lapels but can accomodate to different needs and style. I think they can cut nice pattern and are interested about your satisfaction. Tanika can make canvassed suit but they aren't cheap in any means. Shirts, jackets, suits. You can get better value in Europe in my opinion. You also need way better sartorial knowledge to interact with Tanika. Tanika pushed for hotel delivery for both of my suits skipping the final fitting. I had two fittings in both occasion. There were time constraints of course but i wasn't satisfied the last time. Also emails went unanswered when i brought up the issues with pictures.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
So my shirt from Peninsula Tailors is beginning to look really worn out, clearly poor quality. I also don't like the collar as it keeps "flapping" to the sides.
However, I am still VERY happy with the fit (I think I had three or four fittings). I have had some off-the-shelf shirts (Ralph Lauren, Boss) altered and while they're ok and the quality is much better, the fit isn't as good.

Basically, I'd like to measure the shirt and get a new one with a different collar (button-down, maybe) and better quality.
Many years ago, I ordered from https://www.tailorstore.com using body measurements and the results were... ok. To be honest, they were probably not so great because I didn't know how a shirt should fit.
However, I have read reviews that they're only good with body measurements, not shirt measurements - since they just use the measurements as a ballpark figure and don't use the exact measurements.

Any idea where I might be able to order a shirt based on the one I have? I'm willing to spend up to 120$ for the shirt, roughly.
I'm actually flying to Hong Kong tomorrow, but I'll arrive Friday evening and leave again Sunday morning. Not sure if that would help? Maybe take the old shirt to a tailor there and have them ship the new shirt?
How can I make sure the fabric is high quality? Thanks.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Someone mentioned TOT and honesty. Well, I'd add trustworthy.

I had half a dozen shirts made last year with TOT. I was in a bit of hurry, so after the second visit and fitting I had them mail the ready shirts to me (I paid for the mailing) When the shirts arrived (took a while) I wasn't happy with the fit - sent them an e-mail with a few pics. They acknowledged their mistake, made and sent the shirts again at no charge. I offered them to return the original ones, they said just keep them.

It took a long time (afterwards I learned that they actually made my shirts several times as they didn't pass their internal quality control !!) but well worth it. They are not your "1000฿" shirts, but you get quality.

I appreciate companies that own up their mistakes and make good on it. I also like that they have in-house (literally) tailors, seamstresses, etc, who are paid monthly wage - so they are not under huge pressure to churn out the maximum number of garments, but can do quality work, even if it takes time.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Has anyone here had shirts made by TOT solely based on shirt measurements, i.e. without a fitting in their store?
Old May 6, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Has anyone here had shirts made by TOT solely based on shirt measurements, i.e. without a fitting in their store?
Not applicable to just TOT, but to any tailor, forget it. Sending them a shirt that already fits well would be better.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Red259
Is BKK the best place for a tailored suit in SE Asia? I am likely to visit vietnam and Hong Kong as well as maybe the Philippines. Not sure the best spot/country for a tailored suit at a great price. I wasn't planning on this but I do really need to buy like two suits really bad and I was planning on being in the region anyway. I would want a tailor who can accept western credit cards if possible.
No, Bangkok does not have many really top notch tailors, contrary to what a lot of people think. Almost all Bangkok suits will be fused, made from blocks, non-canvassed, not really bespoke - good fabrics, yes, but more expensive than pretty much anywhere on earth. Canvassed suits here are the same price as HK. It's not good value, by and large. Go to Hong Kong if you have to do it in SE Asia, because at least there the quality is a couple of notches higher for only a moderately greater expense.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:03 pm

What is the average going price of these "bespoke" suits from TOT and/or Tanika? Also, what is the turnaround time? If I was in BKK for 6 days, would that be enough time to do the fittings and have my suit in-hand when I leave?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by generic808
What is the average going price of these "bespoke" suits from TOT and/or Tanika? Also, what is the turnaround time? If I was in BKK for 6 days, would that be enough time to do the fittings and have my suit in-hand when I leave?
Welcome to Flyertalk!

ToT is quite transparent about its pricing and lists its prices online:
https://www.tailoronten.com/pages/prices

Most suits will likely be in the 18000-24000THB range.

If your schedule is flexible, 6 days should generally be sufficient, but I strongly suggest contacting them as early as possible, and maybe try to plan for one day "buffer" at the end.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by faustus
So ask your run of the mill guy to show you the selvedge bade on the roll if it's "genuine Italian blah blah."
Can you explain "selvedge bade" please? I don't understand, and the internet isn't helping.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Can you explain "selvedge bade" please? I don't understand, and the internet isn't helping.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selvage
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:15 pm

Suit fabrics Bangkok tailors

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.

I was in Bangkok 2 days ago and will be there again in 2 weeks for another 3 weeks.

Previously, I have inquired many reports about the quality of various tailors in BKK in this but other forums. Now I had the opportunity to get an idea of ​​the tailor at Tanika. In addition to the professional appearance, friendliness, etc., I was also shown fabrics from various manufacturers. It started with fabrics from manufacturers that I never heard of until finally manufacturers like Zegna or Loro Piana. What surprised me then were the prices given to me for the fabrics, which contradict what I read in the forums. A standard suit was available for 25,000 thb. Zegna and Loro Piana suits were offered for 59,000thb. Another fabric I liked very much, which is a flannel wool from the manufacturer Cavani, which works with Australian wool and comes from Italy. Tanika wants 39,000thb for the suit with this Cavani Fabric. Since I am very skeptical about all tailors in BKK, I tried to find out more about the manufacturer Cavani on the Internet. Unfortunately without success. I found other tailors on the net who also offer Cavani or a suit manufacturer from the UK (low cost). However, not a single entry from a manufacturer for fabrics from Italy.
Now you can hear a lot of good things from Tanika, but on the other hand you also read that the fabrics with which many tailors in BKK work are printed with logos of the big brands, but are actually Chinese or Thai fabrics that are inferior and namely sometimes look good but then don't last long. I don't assume anything about Tanika, but I want to get to the point analytically. I will visit Tanika again in 2 weeks. It would be great if you knew more about Cavani than I do.
What experiences have you had with Tanika?
Are there doubts that the fabrics are of high quality?
Is there a tailor that you can recommend more (eg Perrys?)
Or would you rather leave it behind?

I want to be honest, I've never had a tailored suit. So far I've bought off-the-shelf Zegna or Canali suits that were either as expensive as the 39,000 bht or a little more expensive. Of course, I went to the tailor with the suit and had to adapt it and am and was very satisfied with the quality. Now almost as much to pay, without guarantee that it is good wool, etc. ... and that at the low personnel costs in Thailand, I find the price a bit excessive. What do you say: is it worth the money or risk? Thank you very much
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by AndiMarcus
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.

I was in Bangkok 2 days ago and will be there again in 2 weeks for another 3 weeks.

Previously, I have inquired many reports about the quality of various tailors in BKK in this but other forums. Now I had the opportunity to get an idea of ​​the tailor at Tanika. In addition to the professional appearance, friendliness, etc., I was also shown fabrics from various manufacturers. It started with fabrics from manufacturers that I never heard of until finally manufacturers like Zegna or Loro Piana. What surprised me then were the prices given to me for the fabrics, which contradict what I read in the forums. A standard suit was available for 25,000 thb. Zegna and Loro Piana suits were offered for 59,000thb. Another fabric I liked very much, which is a flannel wool from the manufacturer Cavani, which works with Australian wool and comes from Italy. Tanika wants 39,000thb for the suit with this Cavani Fabric. Since I am very skeptical about all tailors in BKK, I tried to find out more about the manufacturer Cavani on the Internet. Unfortunately without success. I found other tailors on the net who also offer Cavani or a suit manufacturer from the UK (low cost). However, not a single entry from a manufacturer for fabrics from Italy.
Now you can hear a lot of good things from Tanika, but on the other hand you also read that the fabrics with which many tailors in BKK work are printed with logos of the big brands, but are actually Chinese or Thai fabrics that are inferior and namely sometimes look good but then don't last long. I don't assume anything about Tanika, but I want to get to the point analytically. I will visit Tanika again in 2 weeks. It would be great if you knew more about Cavani than I do.
What experiences have you had with Tanika?
Are there doubts that the fabrics are of high quality?
Is there a tailor that you can recommend more (eg Perrys?)
Or would you rather leave it behind?

I want to be honest, I've never had a tailored suit. So far I've bought off-the-shelf Zegna or Canali suits that were either as expensive as the 39,000 bht or a little more expensive. Of course, I went to the tailor with the suit and had to adapt it and am and was very satisfied with the quality. Now almost as much to pay, without guarantee that it is good wool, etc. ... and that at the low personnel costs in Thailand, I find the price a bit excessive. What do you say: is it worth the money or risk? Thank you very much
I haven't heard of Cavani fabrics. More importantly than choosing a luxury fabric (Zegna, Loro Piana) i would pay attention to weight and where and when(Summer/Winter/All Year) you are going to wear the suit. Don't choose the lightest and most expensive fabric for your first suit with a new tailor. Every tailoring relationship is a journey that usually gets better when you get to know each other better. Is the prices for full canvas suits? 3 weeks is maybe a too short time. My last double breasted suit is very very nice from them and im not the easiest guy to fit but there were also issues and they insisted to deliver to my hotel due to flight leaving.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by joorinainen
I haven't heard of Cavani fabrics. More importantly than choosing a luxury fabric (Zegna, Loro Piana) i would pay attention to weight and where and when(Summer/Winter/All Year) you are going to wear the suit. Don't choose the lightest and most expensive fabric for your first suit with a new tailor. Every tailoring relationship is a journey that usually gets better when you get to know each other better. Is the prices for full canvas suits? 3 weeks is maybe a too short time. My last double breasted suit is very very nice from them and im not the easiest guy to fit but there were also issues and they insisted to deliver to my hotel due to flight leaving.
thanks for the feedback joorinainen !

I needed the suit for the whole year. and it is good to hear that you have had good experiences with Tanika and also the note regarding the time. Tanika said that it shouldn't be a problem to finish the suit within the 3 weeks, especially since I am relatively well available for the fitting in the meantime. I will write to Tanika and ask if this price includes a full-canvas suit. what just surprised me was the price, which is over 1000 €. I come from Germany and know a tailor there who is not that bad. they ask for a qualitative wool with 150s (half-canvased) about 1000 €. they told me there that it was possible to tailor full canvas, which made the price more expensive, almost twice as expensive. the question i am asking is: do i really need a full canvases suit?
the advantage at the tailor in Germany is that you have a contact person next to you.
What I find a little strange is that the manufacturer (Cavami) that tanika uses and told that this comes from Italy, I can not find this manufacturer listed somewhere. and I think the manufacturer would be listed somewhere if it actually existed. trusting my new tailor is also important to me. if it is wool from Thailand or China that wants to give the impression with Italian names that it would be of higher quality would be a criterion for me for no cooperation.
it may also be that the wool, despite the fact that it is from Asia has great quality, but for me this is the basic requirement for a cooperation that the information at this price is correct. and I chose Tanika for the reason that she seems to have a serious impression. should anyone in the forum have an idea from the manufacturer Cavani I would be very grateful for the feedback.
I will write Tanika reg the manufacture as well as the type of work (full-canvased etc) and let you know.

thanks !
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Why would you buy a suit for 1000€ in BKK? Seriously.

If you already have a tailor in Germany stick to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.