Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DirtyDan
Moderator Note: this wiki contains a summary of the most frequent recommendations made in this thread, by active FlyerTalkers, based on personal experiences. Listed businesses are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk. Advertising is prohibited, and FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced. All spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

At-a-Glance Guide to FlyerTalkers' Favorite Bangkok Tailor Shops

Introduction

Appointments are strongly recommended for all tailor shops. Reputable shops are busy, and may find it difficult if not impossible to accommodate walk-ins, especially if they are first-time customers.

Detailed information about prices, quality, turnaround, etc., can be found within the thread or on the tailors' websites. Please feel free to post questions in the thread if you'd like specific feedback from other FlyerTalkers.

Shops Most Frequently Discussed in the Thread

Key: women's tailoring services available
Key: authentic luxury-brand fabrics, specialized workmanship, and/or more expensive overall, turnaround may be longer
Key: offers Thai or Asian styles as well as traditional western styles

Raja's Fashions
Tel +66 2 253 8379 or +66 2 253 8389 (Raja and Bobby, proprietors - father and son)
Area: Sukhumvit/Nana

Tailor on Ten
Tel +66 84 877 1543 (Alex or Ben, proprietors)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Tramp (no website) ♀ ♢♢
Tel +66 2 630-6649 or +66 89 816-6143 (Mr Kyi, proprietor - pronounced Kee)
Area: River/Bangrak

Rajawongse Clothier
Tel +66 xxx (Jesse or Victor, proprietors - father and son)

Universal Tailors ♀ ♢
Tel +66 816112313 (Mr RONNIE, proprietor)
Area: Silom Soi 18

Pinky Tailor ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Mr Pinky, proprietor)
Area: Ploenchit/Wireless

July Tailor ♢♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Sompop, proprietor)
Area: Silom/Saladaeng

Hermann Suits
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Narin Couture ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Narin, proprietor)

Cotton House (no website) ♀♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor) - specifically for women's clothing
Area: River/Bangkrak

New International Boutique House (aka Nick's) ♀
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)

Tanika Tailor ♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 (0) 2 229 4416
Area: Sukhumvit & Silom

Other Shops Mentioned in this Thread

• Milan or Inter-Milan
  • Mr Song or A. Song Tailor
  • Tanika
  • Art's
  • Crown
  • Lucky Man Fashions
  • Max's
  • Moon River
  • Nickerman's
  • Alex Fashions
  • Euro Boutique
  • James Fashions
  • Majestic Tailors
  • Versace's
  • World Group
  • Embassy Tailor

Last edit (DD): Removed ♀ from ToT - confirmed with shop.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are encouraged to update or add missing info to this wiki.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Tailors

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Rule of thumb is:

1) If there are touts outside the shop, forget it.

2) If you are asked to pay in full or leave a large deposit before the first fitting, knock it back. 30%-50% of the final price would be the most you would want to deposit.

3) If there are signs outside offering suits with two pairs of trousers for 99/199 USD/EUR, walk away. Proper shops don't need to advertise door-buster prices in foreign currency to do business.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Agree completely with Forumpersona999. Re #3, watch particularly for sandwich boards on the sidewalk.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by stallion114
I am going to be in BKK in a couple days and had been planning on getting a suit and some shirts made from one of the suggested tailors.
After reading the Bangkok tailors thread in its entirety I am now worried about the process.

My issue is I know nothing about suits, or proper fitting of them. With such limited knowledge am I just going to be throwing away money?

Also I wear a suit maybe 5 days a year, I work in construction at power plants/industrial settings and most days I wear levis with a polo/button down.

Are the casual shirts a worthwhile purchase? It looks like I can buy them from Rajas for $30/pop which is about what I pay now in the US for on sale shirts.
The casual shirts are definitely a worthwhile purchase. For $30 you can get a shirt that fits you well and it will last. I don't know the sort of fit you get for a pre-made shirt but these will fit you well. Rajawongse make good, cheap shirts. Once you get your shirts custom made you probably won't want to buy in a store again. You won't be throwing money away if you go for a suit or two either. Jesse and Victor know all about fitting you, so you don't need to worry about that! They will make you a nicely fitted, reasonable quality polyester/wool blend suit that will look ok too. There are claims that you would be buying a 50/50 wool cashmere suit from Italy or England however this is untrue. Interestingly nobody seems to be able to name the fabric! If you do go there, please report back with the exact details of the fabric that you bought, as in name of producer, collection, supers count etc as so far it is a mystery!

They are safe choice. As an alternative if you want truly high quality tailor but expensive, with imported fabrics (non Chinese) go to Tanika's.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Thanks Mikaron.
I will go with a few shirts for sure.
Still not sold on the suit, partially because like I said I only wear one a handful of times a year, and already own 4 of them which is way more then I need already.

A well fitting casual shirt would be a great deal at $30.

I will report back when I get them.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I screwed up.
I typed in Rajas on google thinking that was the name and ended up going to Rajas fashions which was recomended in the other thread but not where I was planning on going. Turns out it is 2 middle eastern guys that look a lot like the rajowese website I had looked at days earlier. Plus they had pictures of generals on the wall so I thought I was at the place.

Anyway prices were higher then what was quoted here because I was at the wrong shop.

I ended up paying 6000 bht for 5 shirts + 2000 bht to ship because he could not make them in time.

8000 bht for 5 shirts is way more ($38/shirt, $51 w/shipping) then I wanted to pay and I am pretty pissed about it.

The first fitting was pretty close to perfect according to bobby. I was trusting his judgement. I will say it was the best fitting shirt I have ever had but mostly because I have an 18" neck, 6' 190 so any 18" neck dress shirt I buy is always way to big and long everywhere else.

Live and learn I suppose. In the end I only spent $255 so if they turn out ok I wont lose any sleep.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Mkaron
They will make you a nicely fitted, reasonable quality polyester/wool blend suit that will look ok too. There are claims that you would be buying a 50/50 wool cashmere suit from Italy or England however this is untrue. Interestingly nobody seems to be able to name the fabric!
Once again this poster alleges that the fabric being sold is not what it is represented to be. S/he even claims to have done the testing to establish the truth of the allegation, claiming that it is very easy to do.

Yes, I have done this. That is why I am so adamant what I am saying is true! I didn't just dream this up! It is a very easy thing to do
Yet, despite repeated requests for information on, and the results of, the test(s) which s/he allegedly did, the poster simply ignores the requests. Again, I will say. If, Mkaron, you have actually performed the tests (as you claim) which you say prove that the material is a polyester blend, I know that I want to see it; and I'm sure that many other FT BKK suit buyers would be interested, too.

Caveat emptor. When someone says that they have information proving the truth/validity of his/her claim but refuses to provide it, that usually means that the claim is not true.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One place I have used with good success and who delivers quite high quality is Narin Couture at 180 Sukhumvit (bewteen Soi 8 and 10). Worth checking out if you want to get something made that is quality. Pricing will depend on fabric, however if you estimate ~1800 THB for a shirt and ~18000 for a suit you will be in good shape:
http://www.narin-couture.com/home.html
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by stallion114
Live and learn I suppose. In the end I only spent $255 so if they turn out ok I wont lose any sleep.
Not sure what exactly you're complaining about :-). You walked in the wrong shop but by chance ended up in one of the best ones in Bangkok. The first fitting went (almost) perfectly and you're getting the final result shipped home. I've been a customer of Raja's for 15 years now and still have some shirts from 1997 that I still wear today. If that's not good quality, I don't know what is. I'm happy to pay a little bit more for quality.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to one of the most popular topics in the Thailand destination forum… after about ten years of ongoing discussion, the original Bangkok Tailors thread had become so large as to be difficult to manage, requiring a split.

Posts from prior to 2013 can now be found in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...hlight=Tailors thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jan 3, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:17 am

Bangkok Tailors

Just got back from a trip to Bangkok and thought I'd share my tailoring experiences...

First off, I should say my standards are reasonably high, so take these comments with that in mind if I appear to be being picky! I use one of the better known higher-end shirtmakers in HK (for my nice shirts) as well as a smaller/ocal/cheaper HK shirtmaker (for everday!), and my suits/trousers come from a London tailor who is Saville-row trained but works from a small workshop in the backstreets out of the centre (i.e. high quality but very keen prices).

I was mainly looking for shirts in Bangkok, with half an eye on some trousers - being only there for a few days made a making a (decent!) suit not an option, but I was curious to try one of the better tailors in town in case a future longer visit might make a suit feasible. Someone I know who lived in Bangkok for a while suggested I try Narin, Tanika, and Milan, the first two being the only bangkok tailors who could (and regularly do) produce a floating canvassed jacket in house (having owned a couple of canvassed suits, they're worth the extra over fused, in my opinion). Milan being a cheaper option as a comparison. Narin was out of the question - I asked and they couldn't work with my timescales. Milan could, were quite reasonably priced - however, while the pattern selection was good, their fabric quality was average at best and the workmanship on their shirts was a bit rough (i.e. poorer than my cheaper HK shirtmaker, where I pay USD40-50 per shirt). Suiting cloth selection was also not great.

That left Tanika. After a good chat with the lady front of house (who is clearly a tailor herself, not a saleswoman, and very competent - a safe pair of hands which is what you want in a tailor!), I placed an order for some shirts and a few pairs of trousers.

Shirts first. They have a good range of good quality fabric in the shop - while not super extensive, I could easily have walked away with 10 or so nice patterns. Fabric is generic "english or italian" but nice quality. They have swatch books there as well - with more time you can order other fabrics in but I didn't go into that. Not having time to have a fitting, I brought in a well-fitting HK shirt for them to use. They made a very accurate copy and also incorporated some minor fit adjustments which were done well. I'm extremely happy with the outcome. Construction is excellent, shell buttons are used as standard, the interlinings are nice, the stitching is extremely neat and well finished. The only minor point is that they seem to have used a slightly lower number of stitches per inch than either of my HK shirts, which makes the stitching slighly more noticeable on the collars/cuffs, but this is a very minor point. Altogether, top marks! I paid THB2500 per shirt, which puts them bang slap in the middle of my two HK shirtmakers, and a fair price (i.e. the shirts are better quality, largely due to the fabric, than my cheaper HK shirts, but not as nice as my nice HK shirts, for which I pay roughly 25-50% more for branded and nice fabric).

Trousers. The in house fabric selection is good, no blends here, just decent quality wool with some higher end stuff too (some Loro Piana in stock, they can also get other fabrics in via swatch books - again, I didn't go into this). I ended up with a couple of pairs at THB5000, and one gorgeous thick flannel at THB6000. This is a little less than half the price of my London tailor. I had one fitting. The outcome for the price was very good. The fit is generally very good though there are a couple of minor points that need addressing (this is me being picky, though, and having the benefit of numerous pairs of extremely well fitting trousers - with hindsight, I should have taken a pair with me to be copied!). Construction again is excellent and these are well finished with neat stitching. Again, being picky, the trousers are entire machine stitched, where as my london trousers feature relatively extensive hand stitching, which is relatively easy to spot (e.g. around the pockets/fly). In short, though, excellent value and I'm happy. Goes to show you generally get what you pay for.

Other thoughts... Tanika's suits are all floating canvass. The price I was quoted (THB39000 for a decent fabric) seem a little on the high side, especially compared to the trousers, and also in comparison with what I current pay and what I know you can get in HK (e.g. that's about USD1200, which is what the best HK tailors charge). That said, they clearly know what they're doing - the work-in-progress in the shop looked excellent, and the general construction and style of the jackets was very similar to what I've seem in London (e.g. also compared to Narin, whose suits I've seen being worn and who have a more continental european look). They do their own tailoring out the back. They have some nice women's clothing in progress in the shop. Did I mention that the lady is a safe pair of hands?! I should also say that their service was excellent, they pulled out all the stops to make the clothes in time (and I was aware that my schedule was extremely tight).

In summary, highly recommended if looking for an higher-end tailor in Bangkok. If pushed though, I'd say that HK is still probably a better place to get clothes made, if only for the choice on offer.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
Anyone know if tailors in Bangkok will be open on Sunday of the weekend of the water festival?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by joelbra
Anyone know if tailors in Bangkok will be open on Sunday of the weekend of the water festival?
Nothing will be open.

As for tailors, I just went back to Narin Couture on Sukhumvit Soi 10. I am very pleased with their work. It is equivalent to what some much pricier NY tailors I have used produced. Def the only guy I will go to in BKK.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
As for tailors, I just went back to Narin Couture on Sukhumvit Soi 10. I am very pleased with their work. It is equivalent to what some much pricier NY tailors I have used produced. Def the only guy I will go to in BKK.
That's a great recommendation. Could you give any sample prices?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by joelbra
That's a great recommendation. Could you give any sample prices?
varies highly by what you want. The low end for a jacket will be around $3-500 USD. They do the work to your specs so if you want higher end fabric, fully canvassed etc...it can push towards 1k USD for a jacket. Fluent in English, French and Thai, just stop in and chat with him, should be able to feel out what you want. Two sport coats and a white dinner jacket just arrived from BKK yesterday...again, very pleased.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
How much should I expect to pay for a suit + one shirt with average to good quality and fabrics in Bangkok? It'll be my first tailored suit, and I suppose my standards aren't incredibly high. It won't be used professionally, only for a few special occasions, Christmas etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.