Reload this Page >

Destinations

Asia

Thailand

Bangkok Tailors

Bangkok Tailors

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 22, 17, 8:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DirtyDan
Wiki Link
Moderator Note: this wiki contains a summary of the most frequent recommendations made in this thread, by active FlyerTalkers, based on personal experiences. Listed businesses are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk. Advertising is prohibited, and FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced. All spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

At-a-Glance Guide to FlyerTalkers' Favorite Bangkok Tailor Shops

Introduction

Appointments are strongly recommended for all tailor shops. Reputable shops are busy, and may find it difficult if not impossible to accommodate walk-ins, especially if they are first-time customers.

Detailed information about prices, quality, turnaround, etc., can be found within the thread or on the tailors' websites. Please feel free to post questions in the thread if you'd like specific feedback from other FlyerTalkers.

Shops Most Frequently Discussed in the Thread

Key: women's tailoring services available
Key: authentic luxury-brand fabrics, specialized workmanship, and/or more expensive overall, turnaround may be longer
Key: offers Thai or Asian styles as well as traditional western styles

Raja's Fashions
Tel +66 2 253 8379 or +66 2 253 8389 (Raja and Bobby, proprietors - father and son)
Area: Sukhumvit/Nana

Tailor on Ten
Tel +66 84 877 1543 (Alex or Ben, proprietors)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Tramp (no website) ♀ ♢♢
Tel +66 2 630-6649 or +66 89 816-6143 (Mr Kyi, proprietor - pronounced Kee)
Area: River/Bangrak

Rajawongse Clothier
Tel +66 xxx (Jesse or Victor, proprietors - father and son)

Universal Tailors ♀ ♢
Tel +66 816112313 (Mr RONNIE, proprietor)
Area: Silom Soi 18

Pinky Tailor ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Mr Pinky, proprietor)
Area: Ploenchit/Wireless

July Tailor ♢♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Sompop, proprietor)
Area: Silom/Saladaeng

Hermann Suits
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Narin Couture ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Narin, proprietor)

Cotton House (no website) ♀♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor) - specifically for women's clothing
Area: River/Bangkrak

New International Boutique House (aka Nick's) ♀
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)

Tanika Tailor ♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 (0) 2 229 4416
Area: Sukhumvit & Silom

Other Shops Mentioned in this Thread

• Milan or Inter-Milan
  • Mr Song or A. Song Tailor
  • Tanika
  • Art's
  • Crown
  • Lucky Man Fashions
  • Max's
  • Moon River
  • Nickerman's
  • Alex Fashions
  • Euro Boutique
  • James Fashions
  • Majestic Tailors
  • Versace's
  • World Group
  • Embassy Tailor

Last edit (DD): Removed ♀ from ToT - confirmed with shop.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are encouraged to update or add missing info to this wiki.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 11, 14, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
... if I have clothing made in Bangkok and shipped back to the US, what are the associated customs duties/tariffs/taxes/whatever they are called?
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad View Post
You're not likely to find a lot of help on that here, other than personal experiences.
Oh, ye of little faith, aBroadAbroad!!

First, I will say that I have had numerous suits made here and shipped to me in the U.S. by FedEx with no duty being imposed. The tailors are generally quite experienced at how to package and label the items so that duty won't be a problem.

For the official rules, however, here are the current relevant HTS pages from the U.S. International Trade Commission.

Do I declare this as "unaccompanied goods" when returning to the US or is it just a completely separate thing?
I've always treated it as a completely separate thing and not put it on the Customs form when I arrive back in the U.S. I do not know, however, if that is consistent with the current state of the law.
Old Dec 12, 14, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My question is: Since there are so many of us travelers and Thai residents, shouldn't this thread also talk about how to find good fabric at reasonable prices, and where the best factories are to bypass the tailor. We all know they are contracting out the work anyway. This would just keep their commission in your pockets... which I would guess makes up 60=70% of the total cost.

Thoughts?

Two, or more, significant challenges. Finding acceptable fabric, then finding the best job-shop; job-shops specialize as well, so there are different job-shops for pants, shirts, jackets, etc. Job-shops are typically located down the soi's in the general neighborhood of the tailor - typically one shop-house wide on the ground floor with 10 - 30 workers, although these can be quite far away as well. Even within a job-shop, workers specialize/focus on certain activities: cutting, hand-sewing, zippers, machine work, etc.

I've purchased fabric at Pahurat ( the gigantic fabric market in what some call Little India ), then had a job-shop in my neighborhood which specializes in pants, fashion knock-off Gap khakis. I gave them an original, they told me how much fabric to buy, made one sample which we modified slightly, then they made six more copies. But it was a lot of work on my part.
Old Dec 12, 14, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
First, I will say that I have had numerous suits made here and shipped to me in the U.S. by FedEx with no duty being imposed. The tailors are generally quite experienced at how to package and label the items so that duty won't be a problem.
Thanks, great to hear! Interestingly, I'd read on numerous sites that FedEx was actually the worst when it comes to being strict about CBP inspection and duties; everyone suggested USPS (by way of an international postal service first).

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I've always treated it as a completely separate thing and not put it on the Customs form when I arrive back in the U.S. I do not know, however, if that is consistent with the current state of the law.
Yes, I am leaning in this direction. What is confusing is on the customs declaration form it says:

If you are a U.S. resident, print the total value of all goods (including commercial merchandise) you or any family members traveling with you have purchased or acquired abroad (including gifts for someone else, but not items mailed to the United States)
What I can't figure out is whether the "items mailed to the United States" reference is applicable across the board, or whether it is serving as a modifier on "gifts for someone else." That is, is it saying that anything you're having mailed doesn't need to be declared, or only gifts for someone else that you've mailed? I'm thinking it's the former, but it's not entirely clear.
Old Dec 12, 14, 9:13 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
What I can't figure out is whether the "items mailed to the United States" reference is applicable across the board, or whether it is serving as a modifier on "gifts for someone else." That is, is it saying that anything you're having mailed doesn't need to be declared, or only gifts for someone else that you've mailed? I'm thinking it's the former, but it's not entirely clear.
You are WAY over-thinking this. If the goods are shipped FedEx/UPS, and if duty is due, it will be collected as part of the freight charges.
Put yourself in the hands of the shop they have a lot of experience in this area.

SunLover
Old Dec 12, 14, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by SunLover View Post
You are WAY over-thinking this. If the goods are shipped FedEx/UPS, and if duty is due, it will be collected as part of the freight charges.
Put yourself in the hands of the shop they have a lot of experience in this area.
I figured as such; I'm just particularly paranoid about CBP stuff because I don't want to lose Global Entry for a wrong declaration.
Old Dec 19, 14, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
It has taken me more than a year to finally bring myself to post my horrific experience in Bangkok. I will do so shortly but in the interim I encourage anyone who is planning to purchase a custom suit in Bangkok to heed the common sense advice which I have linked [redacted]

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Dec 21, 14 at 4:02 pm Reason: Bare link removed; feel free to revise with included excerpts from external site pursuant to ft rules
Old Dec 20, 14, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
It has taken me more than a year to finally bring myself to post my horrific experience in Bangkok. I will do so shortly but in the interim I encourage anyone who is planning to purchase a custom suit in Bangkok to heed the common sense advice which I have linked [redacted]
You say Bangkok here but is the post you have written not about a tailor on Nathan Road in Kowloon, HK?

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Dec 21, 14 at 4:03 pm
Old Dec 21, 14, 2:41 pm

When I was in Bangkok three weeks ago I was told there was a one week sale of buy two get one free from Thai Fashion place (apparently the ad was ran on Thai Fashion TV or something) and it's usually only available for locals but that one week it was opened for visitors.

The following is a pic of a map that shows where this "Thai Fashion" store is, circled as stop 2. When I got there of course the guy said they use the same manufacturer as Armani...He also showed me a suit and said it was cashmere, honestly it didn't feel like the cashmere here in the states.

Was this just another scam or has someone heard about this? The reason I ask is that two people told me about this place on the same day both gave me the same story that it's the last day yet I met both of them in completely different places.
Old Dec 31, 14, 6:03 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm not familiar with that shop, but IMHO, most if not all "usually only for locals, but today...!" sort of deals are scams.
Old Jan 4, 15, 11:28 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Why would a shop open to foreigners only for one week? Sounds like a sleazy sales tactic to me.

Another good thing to keep in mind is if the tailor is only ever available for locals, you'd better be shaped like a Thai or the cut of your pants will not hang on you properly. This "fact" is one gleaned from friends that both live here and those couple friends that have made the mistake of buying 3for2 deals when travelling here.
Old Feb 9, 15, 9:19 am

Contact info for NIBH?

I have been reading the Wiki and am interested in having some suits made in April when I am in Bangkok. From looking at the website and reviews I am interested in NIBJ (Nick's International Boutique House). However, the contact form on the website results in an error message. Does anyone have a working email address for them?

Also, I see many people here talking about Tailor on Ten and the Wiki says they do women's suits, but their website doesn't really have any examples of that. Can anyone confirm they do women's tailoring?
Old Feb 9, 15, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Endor View Post
Also, I see many people here talking about Tailor on Ten and the Wiki says they do women's suits, but their website doesn't really have any examples of that. Can anyone confirm they do women's tailoring?
I've seen it mentioned in passing as part of third-party discussions of ToT. Probably best just to email and ask about what you're specifically looking for; they are very responsive in my experience. Though if a place doesn't do a lot of women's work (or any specific type of work for that matter), I'd have to wonder how good they are at it.
Old Feb 10, 15, 11:16 am

Posting a response to my own question - Tailor on Ten confirmed they do not do womens wear via a question I posted on Trip Advisor. I think the Wiki needs to be updated to indicate that.

Still looking for anyone with experience with NIBH. Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 15, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Queen Thai Silk on Sukhumvit near the Sofitel do outstanding women's work, and pretty much women's work only.

It ain't cheap, but it is very well done.
Old Feb 11, 15, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT something or other
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
Posting a response to my own question - Tailor on Ten confirmed they do not do womens wear via a question I posted on Trip Advisor. I think the Wiki needs to be updated to indicate that.

Still looking for anyone with experience with NIBH. Thanks.
If this means you are looking for a tailor for women's clothes, I have two recommendations - Cotton House, listed in the wiki, is great - classic women's office suits in gabardine and other suitings and casual and dressy dresses, pants and jackets of all kinds. Pinky's (search the thread, don't have the address handy - Nana or Ploen Chit BTS) has lovely fabric but less imagination - they made several terrific sheath dresses based on one I had brought with me as a model.

Search this Thread