Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

4 days in Thailand?? What to do??

4 days in Thailand?? What to do??

Old Nov 20, 2004, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA MM
Hua Hin

I like Phuket, but I wouldn't want to fly there for a really short visit - it's not just the flight time but as we all know the hassle of security, etc.

I think Hua Hin has great beaches. I don't know anything about visiting for a day, but there are 3 good hotels - the Sofitel, Marriott and Hyatt Regency.

Hua Hin is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Bangkok. There's also a train, but I know nothing about that.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Tritgr
I like Phuket, but I wouldn't want to fly there for a really short visit - it's not just the flight time but as we all know the hassle of security, etc.
I found the domestic Thai flights really low stress. No removing of shoes, and pretty easy flight overall. The airport is a bit away from a lot of Phuket, but for actual beaches (and not "entertainment"), Phuket is much nicer than Pattaya/Jomtien
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:41 am

Hi there!
and Sawasdee kha/ Krup

If you are not into shopping.. but would love to learn culture and lay back on the beach try this option:

Try Koh Chang : (Koh = Island) : :-: :-: :-:
Ramayana Koh Chang Resort
Stay at a Cosy Resort where you also have private beach.
The resort can arrange you a Limo as well upon the request

Phuket or Krabi. :-: :-: :-: Why stay in Bangkok when you have more desire for the beach then. But you should visit the Royal Grand Palace in Bangkok if you have time. It is a must (or at least almost) place to see in Thailand.

I do agree with other member here.. saying that you should visit Ayuthaya. Take a cruise if you want.

Enjoy your staying ! and have a lovely time here.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:38 pm
Lux

Originally Posted by lallyr
Any advice on close by Beaches?
Rather than worrying about buses and whatnot, how about catching a plane down to Koh Samui? Only about a 40 minute flight, the very good
Bangkok Airways flys there more than a dozen times a day, and if you book in advance (if it's not peak season) you can get some good prices on their website. The airport is only a few minutes from the beach, indeed you could probably hire a moped outside the remarkable airport and make your own way there.

If you are in Bangkok, it would be a shame not to check out the view from the Banyan Tree rooftop bar. If you're into cool bars, Bed Supperclub is worth a look; I recently visited Jim Thompson's house and was fascinated. Good luck!

Edited to add that Pattaya and Phuket are, from what I hear, big poop holes.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:50 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Lux
If you are in Bangkok, it would be a shame not to check out the view from the Banyan Tree rooftop bar. If you're into cool bars, Bed Supperclub is worth a look; I recently visited Jim Thompson's house and was fascinated. Good luck!
Mmm.. from the Banyan Tree? I think Banya Tree got a competitor now. Try State Tower. (Sirocco & Distil) At the end of Silom Rd. You will fall in love with it. Much better view... and more choices for your drinks. (www.thedomebkk.com)And for ladies, I would like to recommend Cosmopolitant. ^ ^ mmm n their Champagne Rose is lovely as well. Have fun!

Last edited by ThaiSilk; Nov 24, 2004 at 8:59 pm
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
So what is there to do in Koh Samui? I think i will consider going there.

And can anyone recommend some decent accomodation for around $50-70 per night in central BKK.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 5:47 am

So what is there to do in Koh Samui? I think i will consider going there.
Let's see. You could laze on the beach, or laze on the beach, or laze on the beach. For a change of pace, you can go for a swim off the beach, drink a beer by the beach and dine in a restaurant by the beach.

Scuba diving is the most popular actually-involves-work-kinda activity in the area, but you'll need to head a few klicks out by boat to Koh Tao or the Angthong Marine Park for decent visibility. But now it's monsoon season in Samui and many operations are closed, with tropical storm Muifa bearing down as I type...
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Let's see. You could laze on the beach, or laze on the beach, or laze on the beach. For a change of pace, you can go for a swim off the beach, drink a beer by the beach and dine in a restaurant by the beach.
Hey you stole my holiday plan !
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

so where is Koh Samui? Can i get a flight to there? So is it definately better then Phuket?

Does Thai fly there?

I will be travelling on my own so i dont want somewhere where there is only me on a beach. As that would be perfect for a few hours but not for days.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
so where is Koh Samui? Can i get a flight to there? So is it definately better then Phuket?

Does Thai fly there?

I will be travelling on my own so i dont want somewhere where there is only me on a beach. As that would be perfect for a few hours but not for days.
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...005010002.html

Getting There

By Plane -- Up to 17 flights depart daily from Bangkok on Bangkok Airways (tel. 02265-5555 in Bangkok), pretty much one every 40 minutes between 6:20am and 7:20pm. Two daily flights from Phuket (Bangkok Airways Phuket office; tel. 07622-5033), and another daily from the U-Tapao airport near Pattaya (Bangkok Airways Pattaya office; tel. 03841-1965) connect these major beach destinations, with additional Bangkok airways flights connecting the northern cities through Bangkok. From Singapore, Silk Air (tel. 02236-5301-3 in Bangkok) flies daily and Bangkok Airways (tel. 07742-2512 in Samui) three or four times each week.

Koh Samui Airport is a little slice of heaven -- open-air pavilions with thatch roofs surrounded by gardens and palms. For airport information call tel. 07742-5012. If you're staying at a larger resort, airport minivan shuttles can be arranged when you book your room. There's also a convenient minivan service. Book your ticket at the transportation counter upon arrival and you'll get door-to-door service for 100B ($2.50). If you depart Koh Samui via the airport, there's an additional 150B ($3.40) airport tax that's usually added to your ticket charge.

If unable to book a flight directly to the island, Thai Airways operates two daily flights to the nearby mainland at Surat Thani (tel. 02525-2084 for domestic reservations in Bangkok). From the airport, it's a shuttle to the town of Surat Thani and then connecting ferry to the island (see Songserm Travel below).
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What are the fares like from BKK to Koh Samui?

Can anyone recommend decent priced hotels there?

So if i land in BKK and then book a flight from there will that be ok? or is it advisable to book in advance?

Thanks again guys and gals ^
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:01 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC

So if i land in BKK and then book a flight from there will that be ok? or is it advisable to book in advance?

Thanks again guys and gals ^
You can book online at http://www.bangkokair.com/

Regular round trip fare is about 6500 baht, although you can get a 2000 baht one-way fare on selected flights:

BKK-USM
PG111 06:00
PG197 20:20

USM-BKK
PG106 06:00
PG198 22:00
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:02 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
consider Krabi

Krabi is another excellent place to consider for a short trip.. Ao Nang is a short ride from aiport and has cheap places to stay, a lot less developed that Phuket.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Bangkok Air

I looked at going to Koh Samui earlier this year. I disliked the fact that Bangkok Air owns (or manages) the airport, so the prices are 2-4x more expensive than most other domestic Thai flights. You can buy there, but you will be spending more on Samui than other places.

As someone who has actually been to Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Pattaya/Jomtiem, I would vote for Phuket. It is fairly developed, but easy to get to.

You can get some good rates on Priceline for a 5 star there. Last I heard was about $70 including tax and fee. I stayed at a nice 3 star place for $30 or so a night.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What if i just turn up in Phuket and try and get a hotel? Is that advisable?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.