Reload this Page >

Bank account in Thailand

Bank account in Thailand

Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:17 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Bank account in Thailand

I'm planning to spend much of the next few winters in Thailand.

I know that opening a bank account in Thailand for non residents is difficult.

Anyone have the details on proper way to approach this?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:17 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
When I moved to BKK last year, I think only Bangkok Bank had an option of opening a bank account for non-residents without a Work Permit (account and local access ATM card only, other services like internet banking require a work permit). All other banks required a work permit before opening an account. More info about the Bangkok Bank account can be found at:
http://www.bbl.co.th/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...rs/default.htm

http://www.bbl.co.th/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...+Questions.htm

If you have a work permit, I've been told its a breeze opening an account (at least compared to getting the work permit). That said, I've gone exactly 1 year as of today without having a local bank account even after getting my work permit.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:01 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Unless you absolutely need to open an account in Thailand I would suggest you try to avoid it. As a non-Thai it is difficult to understand some of the rules etc. and there are always different rules for foreigners. My wife is Thai and she used to work at SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) and they are a pretty good operation and if I had to work with any Thai bank that would be the one but www.scb.co.th
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can open a regular savings account, and get an ATM card, at most of the main banks in Thailand with a passport and on a 30-day waived tourist visa and cash or travelers cheques. (no internet banking access available, ime) I can confirm recent (last week) personal success at Bangkok Bank, but many others have reported success at most of the other banks, including Siam Commercial and Krung Thai.

These two forums have sub-forums addressing financial concerns:

Bangkok Tonight Money Matters Forum

Thai Visa related forum

Last edited by transpac; Jul 28, 2004 at 7:34 pm
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Great info.. I knew the flyertalkers would come through in the end!

I've got a bunch more questions... thanks again!
Old Aug 29, 2004, 6:54 pm

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
bank account

I was told it was impossible to open a bank account when I approached the desks at the main branches of the banks in bangkok (TFB, BKK Bank, Siam). Go to the secondary branches, and they will open the account for you easily. I opened mine in Bangkapi. You just need passport and 100B.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:21 pm
Suspended

You can open an account at Bangkok Bank 3rd floor BKK without an issue, I still have my bank

Good Luck!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Fairly trouble free opening my account with only a passport and a few thousand baht.

I pick up my Electron card in a week.

Thanks to all that replied.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:27 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Fairly trouble free opening my account with only a passport and a few thousand baht.

I pick up my Electron card in a week.

Thanks to all that replied.
Hi can you tell us which bank and which branch ?
Thanks

Last edited by JackR; Nov 7, 2004 at 3:53 am
Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:27 am

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
For info, I opened a resident bank account at Bangkok Bank, Uttaradit Branch (250km southeast of Chiang Mai, not the most international minded destination in Thailand !)
It helped to have a copy of the Q&A of the BKK bank 's own webpage giving a freefone number (1333) to call in case of questions. The bank officer caled the number after having said 'no' and came back saying 'yes'. I was isued with a bank book and an atm card valid only in Thailand but for 200 bahts extra I could have had one affiliated with the VISA/Master logo.
All in all it took 20 minutes !
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:00 am

Programs: UA MP Gold
Nobody has mentioned Kasikornbank yet. They used to be called Thai Farmers Bank. They didn't ask for a work permit when I opened my savings account but this was quite a few years ago (2001).

I went to the branch on Rama 4 Road close to (but not inside) the Tesco Lotus and Carrefour superstores.

Btw, if you need to change money - either way, (changing Thai baht into hard currency is a pain in the neck for example - most banks will simply turn you down, lots of paperwork too) hassle free and for a slightly better rate as well, here's a tip: Go to the World Trade Center (now called Central Plaza or something). Cross the street to where the huge Big C is. Walk past it toward Pratunam/Phetburi road. Just past the second footbridge turn right. Take the next left (there should be a Kasikornbank ahead on your right). Just before you reach the bank turn left. The corner store on your right is called "Superrich" (very subtle, I know).

It will be a little intimidating at first. Go to the counter and tell them exactly what you want. If you can speak at least a modicum of Thai (especially the numbers, you know, nueng roi (=100), song roi, sarm roi, si roi, ha (go up while saying it) roi, hok roi, jet roi, paed (say it slowly) roi, gau roi, nueng pan (=1000), song pan, and so on...) it will be helpful (or take someone you speaks Thai). You will have to wait a few minutes while they put your money together. They will probably call your order number in Thai - or the amount you exchanged, and you won't understand , but that's ok, it'll be sorted out eventually. You will not get cheated here but count the money anyway. You can check the rate before at the Kasikorn branch. Superrich has always beaten it.

I hope this helped.

Guido

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.