Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thailand 101: What to do for a week?

Thailand 101: What to do for a week?

Old Jun 9, 04, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Be sure to check out Chatuchuk market and take a tuntuk ride!
Old Jun 9, 04, 11:01 pm

Skip the tuktuks... the drivers will either cheat you or drive you to their favorite massage parlor/jewelry shop, during the ride you'll be choking on exhaust all the way, and if you get in an accident they'll need a spatula to scrape your remains off the streets.
Old Jun 18, 04, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by blueDC
I don't know how long the train takes but the flight is barely an hour and since there are so many discount airlines in Thailand, the trip from BKK-CNX will cost about $15 each way. As with most airline tickets, the earlier you buy, the cheaper they are and at least for Thai Airways and AirAsia, you can purchase the tickets online. I think if you consider the amount of time saved for that distance (500 miles?), flying is the way to go.
I second that emotion. Domestic airfare in Thailand is absurdly cheap compared to US fares. If you're only going for a week, I'd agree that faster air travel is the way to get around.

BTW, re getting into the city from BKK: keep in mind that a regular taxi (from the taxi stand outside arrivals) is fine for 2 people with a moderate amount of luggage, but too small for most larger parties. Taxis tend to be compacts (Toyota Corolla) w/relatively little trunk space.

When my family of 4 went last December, we went to one of the car service desks inside. Yes, it is more expensive (2-3x). Yes, you could split a larger party into 2 regular cabs & save money. On the other hand, you don't have to wait in line (that's "on line" to you New Yorkers ), and the total cost is still peanuts.

Either way, do avoid the touts who come up to you, and not just at the airport. Politely deflecting such come-ons is a key tactic for successful travel in the country, which is a wonderful place overall.

Finally, for escapes to the west coast, don't overlook Krabi province, especially Railay Beach (Hat Railay). It shares Phuket's natural beauty, but is (I am advised -- haven't been to Phuket myself) less costly in general.
Old Jun 18, 04, 2:32 pm

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
IMPORTANT
Learn how to say: MAI OW

Mai Ow means "I don't want it". It will work well for you at all the tourist spots when the tuk tuk and tout guys approach you.
Old Jun 18, 04, 3:35 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Taxis

"BTW, re getting into the city from BKK: keep in mind that a regular taxi (from the taxi stand outside arrivals) is fine for 2 people with a moderate amount of luggage, but too small for most larger parties"

The reason that the trunk (boot) is so small is the oversized propane tank installed in most taxis. This reduces pollution, but also reduces available luggage space. One can stuff 2 large and one small bag in the trunk and up to three in the front seat. Be sure to use the seat belt for the luggage so that it does not tip over onto the driver. More than two bags with 3 people requires the use of one of the regular sedans that the touts try to sell for 600 baht. Remember a smile and negotiation will normally result in lesser costs. Be sure that, if taking a meter taxi (sign says "taxi meter") that the meter is turned on.
Old Jun 21, 04, 7:34 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
airaisa.com , nokair.com and tiger airways and http://www.onetwo-go.com/main.html
are the low cost asia airlines i know about - i've seen the planes and i would probably fly them

atlanta hotel for old world charm
http://www.theatlantahotel.bizland.com/
it also serves great food - veggie , the biggest range in the world

don't buy anything at the weekend (chatuchak) market it's now too expensive - cheaper in town , try the world trade center (also fake desinger stuff) ,
hire a long tail and go down the little rivers of the main river.
visit the old capital - 10 bht on the train.
(any nobody there)

floating market - (go early) flower markets (go early)

talk to buddhist monks - some temples hold "monk chat" sessions.

lot noi = too expensive / make good price
Paang = expensive

use these terms will get you better than flinging about on the calculators

get a suit made,

i've been to thailand about 8-10 times and it's diff to recomend a place that changes soo often..

if you want to go train to chiang mai only do one way and get the late fast train so you arrive early morning and have a view of the mountains in the morni mist

book ahead for trains - as you can only do it at the stations plan ahead..
and if you are going out don't go anywhere the tourists go - whats the point...