Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok for 5 days and Phuket for 5 ? Yay or Nay ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Hello: We're a group of 8 friends mainly in the late 40's thru 60's and we plan on visiting Thailand late August. Ideally we would like to stay in only 2 hotels. One in Bangkok and trying to figure out which island (e.g.Phuket, Koh Chang, Koh Samui) we can stay on as our base and do day trips to the other islands. Is that even possible ? 1st time visitors so any advice will be appreciated.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by fhbrooklyn
Hello: We're a group of 8 friends mainly in the late 40's thru 60's and we plan on visiting Thailand late August. Ideally we would like to stay in only 2 hotels. One in Bangkok and trying to figure out which island (e.g.Phuket, Koh Chang, Koh Samui) we can stay on as our base and do day trips to the other islands. Is that even possible ? 1st time visitors so any advice will be appreciated.
I think 5 days in BKK is ok. I don’t really enjoy Phuket, so I’d investigate the other islands. I’ve done Chang Mai, which was decent, certainly more laid back. Chang Rai always seemed interesting, but I never made it there.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Are you looking for somewhere laid back or having a party atmosphere on the beach?
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
for a group with all first timers, a split between Bangkok and Phuket will be ideal.
Bangkok offers many interesting places for sightseeing, markets, places to explore Thai life, entertainment venues etc.
Phuket has some nice beaches, opportunities for day trips (Phangnga Bay with James Bond Island and Koh Phanee, Big Buddha, Laem Promthep Sunset, old Phuket town or diving/snorkeling trips) and also nightlife
other islands have less opportunities

you just need to consider the split; either 5:5 or 4:6 depending on the interests of the group
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by BinSabai
for a group with all first timers, a split between Bangkok and Phuket will be ideal.
Bangkok offers many interesting places for sightseeing, markets, places to explore Thai life, entertainment venues etc.
Phuket has some nice beaches, opportunities for day trips (Phangnga Bay with James Bond Island and Koh Phanee, Big Buddha, Laem Promthep Sunset, old Phuket town or diving/snorkeling trips) and also nightlife
BinSabai offers good advice. There are frequent flights between Bangkok (BKK and DMK) and Phuket, reasonably priced if booked a couple of weeks in advance. Phuket has many hotels at various price points. Phuket has international flights, so flying into Bangkok and departing from Phuket may also be possible. ✈️
BinSabai and fhbrooklyn like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:28 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I would echo BinSabai's excellent advice as well, especially for first time visitors. If you are after a mix of city and beach life, that is a solid proposition. I would also suggest to weigh the interests of the group before deciding on 5:5 or 4:6 days in Phuket's favour.
BinSabai and fhbrooklyn like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:59 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S

you just need to consider the split; either 5:5 or 4:6 depending on the interests of the group
Yes Phuket has a lot of nightlife etc. Personally I do not like Phuket as I am a lot laid back and would prefer Krabi. Maybe spend a couple of days in Krabi and then take the tour around the islands for a couple of days and then take the ferry to Phuket and fly back to BKK from Phuket?
fhbrooklyn likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Are you looking for somewhere laid back or having a party atmosphere on the beach?
"Something laid back but I'm really trying to figure out if we can do day trips to other islands if we stay in Phuket"

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I would echo BinSabai's excellent advice as well, especially for first time visitors. If you are after a mix of city and beach life, that is a solid proposition. I would also suggest to weigh the interests of the group before deciding on 5:5 or 4:6 days in Phuket's favour.
Thank you for this !

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 21, 2023 at 4:46 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM
"Something laid back but I'm really trying to figure out if we can do day trips to other islands if we stay in Phuket"
You can do day trips to other islands, such as Phi Phi Islands, but it will be a long day.
fhbrooklyn likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Thank you for this !
You are very welcome. Having seen other comments on this thread I may just add that Phuket is much more than cheap Russian nightlife. When we go, we go for private pool villas, and for that there are good options. Having said that, I would not disregard the suggestion of Krabi either, which is another favourite of ours - but logistically it might not be as convenient
fhbrooklyn likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
My suggestion would be to head up to Khao Lak. You have accessibility to Phang Nha and then can add the Similans or if it's scenery you are looking for then Khao Sok is a great place. More of a laid back easy going vibe there and only just over an hour to KL from the airport.
fhbrooklyn likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Yes Phuket has a lot of nightlife etc. Personally I do not like Phuket as I am a lot laid back and would prefer Krabi. Maybe spend a couple of days in Krabi and then take the tour around the islands for a couple of days and then take the ferry to Phuket and fly back to BKK from Phuket?
well Phuket is a large island and Patong is the center of the nightlife; but there are many other areas and beaches, which are very laid back
fhbrooklyn, SKT-DK and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
well Phuket is a large island and Patong is the center of the nightlife; but there are many other areas and beaches, which are very laid back
Have to agree Patong is its own entity with a very different vibe to the rest of the Island which should not be judged based on just Patong alone.
BinSabai, SKT-DK and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by shoven
Have to agree Patong is its own entity with a very different vibe to the rest of the Island which should not be judged based on just Patong alone.
indeed
and even Patong has quiet corners...if you just stay at your resort and at the beach, you would not even know that there is a huge nightlife, which is actually concentrated on Bhangla road and the adjacent area
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Having seen other comments on this thread I may just add that Phuket is much more than cheap Russian nightlife. When we go, we go for private pool villas, and for that there are good options. Having said that, I would not disregard the suggestion of Krabi either, which is another favourite of ours - but logistically it might not be as convenient
Yes, there's a full range of experiences on Phuket. I would never stay in Patong. Mai Khao, Bang Tao, and Surin, are very nice and pretty low key. Other areas as well.

The big advantage to Phuket is the international airport and the large number of flights. Krabi is nice but there are not many flights and it can be difficult to coordinate with an international arrival or departure at BKK, resulting in the loss of a full day to travel.
SKT-DK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.