FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I might even try to watch him again. I always liked the substance of his information with two exceptions, -- 1) everything he eats, and I do mean everything, seems to be spectacular. He never goes to a restaurant and finds it disappointing? Please. 2) That OMG face. Drives me nuts.
I'll read the cliff notes. There's no way I could even watch an episode soundless without hearing that annoying reaction. Just reading this has triggered the sound like a bad song you can't get out of your head.
Mendobrew likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) everything he eats, and I do mean everything, seems to be spectacular. He never goes to a restaurant and finds it disappointing?

Maybe this is one reason why he is so popular? He is closing in on 4 M subs, it seems like only last year he went over 1M. He is genuine, real, upbeat, open, honest, and that comes across to many folks.

Further, I suspect he susses out the best spots, and doesn't see himself as some anonymous food critic who has to review any old spot.

I follow a few other very popular Thai food vloggers and they tend to be positive in their reviews as well.

Finally, the local defamation (and computer crimes) laws can be liberally applied to anyone, especially a ferner, so maybe best not to put yourself in a position of trashing some resto?

Paraphrasing that old doctor/patient joke, if it hurts to watch his videos maybe best that you don't watch them?

My only beefs with his "style" are that he still doesn't have a grasp on basic food/taste descriptions, and he is veering into the freebie/sponsor area (which certainly results in positive reviews) a bit too much. But not sure I can blame him for getting free business class air tickets, free hotel rooms and getting his meals comped; I'd probably do the same thing. For the most part, he mentions the comp/no comp thing at least once in a review.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:30 pm

I do like his reviews, he often has some good suggestions, although his head tilt thing when he eats is too much.

He has had a bad review, but I only recall seeing one.

Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:24 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by transpac

I'm not a huge pad thai fan but have to admit it is pretty good at Thip Samai...some famous folks are said to favor this place. It's next to Jay Fai. They had a stall in the Siam Paragon Food Court, but I didn't see it recently.
Love Thip Samai am their Chanthaburi pad Thai. Before Jay Fai had her star, we walked past her empty expensive omelette joint to join the long line at Thip Samai. If only we’d known how hard it would be to get a spot for that omelette a few months later.

But add me to the camp that can’t stand Mark Wein’s sweetness.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
LIH Prem and VoiD like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Kalboz
We have done the Bangrak food tour which includes an Issan joint on the Thonburi side near the Peninsula with Bangkok Food Tours and we recommend it: https://www.bangkokfoodtours.com/ban...-walking-tour/
Which is the Issan joint? Can you share a name or location? I love Issan food and stay at the Peninsula, so would like to check it out.

I'm sure I've mentioned this upthread, but the thread is 58 pages long now, so worth mentioning again. A great shop/street place for High Thai and Chinese-Thai cuisine is called Tee Pochana (roughtly: kitchen/cuisine of Little Chinese Boy), now located on Charoennakorn Road next to the entrance to Soi 32, opposite a 7-11 (of course!) and Supalai River House. Long walk or easy taxi from Krung Thon Buri BTS. Let's see if this map
works.

This thread is a great resource. I'm perusing it again while planning an upcoming week's stay.
Kalboz likes this.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Mar 26, 2019 at 10:16 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Which is the Issan joint? Can you share a name or location? I love Issan food and stay at the Peninsula, so would like to check it out.
The Issan joint is called Yum Rod Sab at the Soi north of the Peninsula Hotel (Soi Charoen Nakhon 9)

57 Charoen Nakhon 9 Alley,
Khwaeng Khlong Ton Sai, Khet Khlong San,
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10600

Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I'm sure I've mentioned this upthread, but the thread is 58 pages long now, so worth mentioning again. A great shop/street place for High Thai and Chinese-Thai cuisine is called Tee Pochana (roughtly: kitchen/cuisine of Little Chinese Boy), now located on Charoennakorn Road next to the entrance to Soi 32, opposite a 7-11 (of course!)
Another named Pochana (which actually means restaurant or food) that was recommended by Mark Wiens is Saeng Chai Pochana (ร้านแสงชัยโภชนา) is one of the better Thai Chinese seafood restaurants. Located right along Bangkok’s Sukhumvit road, in-between Thong Lo and Phrom Phong and is a walking distance from the Marriott Sukhumvit 57 but on the opposite side.

Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Kalboz
The Issan joint is called Yum Rod Sab at the Soi north of the Peninsula Hotel (Soi Charoen Nakhon 9)

57 Charoen Nakhon 9 Alley,
Khwaeng Khlong Ton Sai, Khet Khlong San,
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10600
Perfect. Thank you. Will put it on the list for my next visit. Interesting that it seems to close early. FWIW, Tee Pochana is open very late, wee hours of the morning for night owls.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:39 pm

1) everything he eats, and I do mean everything, seems to be spectacular. He never goes to a restaurant and finds it disappointing?
Maybe this is one reason why he is so popular? He is closing in on 4 M subs, it seems like only last year he went over 1M. He is genuine, real, upbeat, open, honest, and that comes across to many folks.
Further, I suspect he susses out the best spots, and doesn't see himself as some anonymous food critic who has to review any old spot.
I follow a few other very popular Thai food vloggers and they tend to be positive in their reviews as well.
Finally, the local defamation (and computer crimes) laws can be liberally applied to anyone, especially a ferner, so maybe best not to put yourself in a position of trashing some resto?
Paraphrasing that old doctor/patient joke, if it hurts to watch his videos maybe best that you don't watch them?
My only beefs with his "style" are that he still doesn't have a grasp on basic food/taste descriptions, and he is veering into the freebie/sponsor area (which certainly results in positive reviews) a bit too much. But not sure I can blame him for getting free business class air tickets, free hotel rooms and getting his meals comped; I'd probably do the same thing. For the most part, he mentions the comp/no comp thing at least once in a review.
He is genuine? He might have been when he started, but now, he's only it for the views. If you are honest and say something is bad, human nature is such that they probably won't want to watch the whole video.
Another guy who fits into the category is Sam Chui.
But people gotta make money, so I will just complain

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I might even try to watch him again. I always liked the substance of his information with two exceptions, -- 1) everything he eats, and I do mean everything, seems to be spectacular. He never goes to a restaurant and finds it disappointing? Please. 2) That OMG face. Drives me nuts.
Like DrHFH says, why does he never find a bad place. I have travelled so much in my time and at least one meal is going to be a bad one during a trip. Is he so good that every place he finds is great? I don't think so.
And yes, what is going on with his face? We get it, you like the food.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Like DrHFH says, why does he never find a bad place. I have traveled so much in my time and at least one meal is going to be a bad one during a trip. Is he so good that every place he finds is great? I don't think so.
Amazingly, most of the recommendations within this thread are for "good" places. Isn't that strange? Maybe it's because we want to share pleasant experiences? Feel free to start your own thread or channel documenting your worst food experiences.

Again, my guess is that he understands his audience is looking for good, great, unique food experiences. He spends time (re-)searching for the best spots, and then presents them to his audience. Having someone do the leg-work for me is appreciated.

Obviously, if you find him annoying or disingenuous then don't watch his videos. How hard is that to comprehend? At the same time, others might appreciate knowing about his Youtube channel - and yes, he did just tick over 4M subs.

Finally, he does have a blog/web-site where you can essentially get the same information without looking at his face. https://migrationology.com/?s=bangkok
Paella747 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:29 pm

Amazingly, most of the recommendations within this thread are for "good" places. Isn't that strange? Maybe it's because we want to share pleasant experiences? Feel free to start your own thread or channel documenting your worst food experiences.

Again, my guess is that he understands his audience is looking for good, great, unique food experiences. He spends time (re-)searching for the best spots, and then presents them to his audience. Having someone do the leg-work for me is appreciated.

Obviously, if you find him annoying or disingenuous then don't watch his videos. How hard is that to comprehend? At the same time, others might appreciate knowing about his Youtube channel - and yes, he did just tick over 4M subs.

Finally, he does have a blog/web-site where you can essentially get the same information without looking at his face. https://migrationology.com/?s=bangkok
Don't worry I have actually stopped watching him. Are you Mark Weins or related to him?

I am just making my thoughts known, this is a forum for discussion right?

And for other reasons I am fully supportive of you watching him on YouTube - that makes me extremely happy. The more people that watch the better. Please watch more of him!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
And for other reasons I am fully supportive of you watching him on YouTube - that makes me extremely happy.
I follow a few Thai food vloggers, and folks like Luke Martin (Chopstick Travel), Mikey Chen (Strictly Dumpling), Trevor James (The Food Ranger) on YouTube. For me, they all come across as sincere, genuine, honest, happy, upbeat.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:19 pm

I follow a few Thai food vloggers, and folks like Luke Martin (Chopstick Travel), Mikey Chen (Strictly Dumpling), Trevor James (The Food Ranger) on YouTube. For me, they all come across as sincere, genuine, honest, happy, upbeat.
I like Mikey Chen. My only problem is that I can't match his eating capacity. I've been to a few places he's suggested and just suffer for the rest of the day after eating what he recommended LOL

Food Ranger is one I have seen as recommended on my list but haven't watched a lot of his videos.

Chopstick Travel is new to me so I'm gonna have to look him up!

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen this Michelin Guide Bib Gourmand category mentioned a few times recently in Thai social media...

https://guide.michelin.com/th/en/ban...nce&order=desc

(filtered for Bangkok only)

For anyone who likes Bak Kuh Teh, and can't get to Singapore, Song Fa has opened a branch here. Central World Level 3, just next to the Zen Dept. Store side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.