Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 5, 18, 3:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 31, 19, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I might even try to watch him again. I always liked the substance of his information with two exceptions, -- 1) everything he eats, and I do mean everything, seems to be spectacular. He never goes to a restaurant and finds it disappointing? Please. 2) That OMG face. Drives me nuts.
I'll read the cliff notes. There's no way I could even watch an episode soundless without hearing that annoying reaction. Just reading this has triggered the sound like a bad song you can't get out of your head.
Old Jan 31, 19, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) everything he eats, and I do mean everything, seems to be spectacular. He never goes to a restaurant and finds it disappointing?

Maybe this is one reason why he is so popular? He is closing in on 4 M subs, it seems like only last year he went over 1M. He is genuine, real, upbeat, open, honest, and that comes across to many folks.

Further, I suspect he susses out the best spots, and doesn't see himself as some anonymous food critic who has to review any old spot.

I follow a few other very popular Thai food vloggers and they tend to be positive in their reviews as well.

Finally, the local defamation (and computer crimes) laws can be liberally applied to anyone, especially a ferner, so maybe best not to put yourself in a position of trashing some resto?

Paraphrasing that old doctor/patient joke, if it hurts to watch his videos maybe best that you don't watch them?

My only beefs with his "style" are that he still doesn't have a grasp on basic food/taste descriptions, and he is veering into the freebie/sponsor area (which certainly results in positive reviews) a bit too much. But not sure I can blame him for getting free business class air tickets, free hotel rooms and getting his meals comped; I'd probably do the same thing. For the most part, he mentions the comp/no comp thing at least once in a review.
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:30 pm

I do like his reviews, he often has some good suggestions, although his head tilt thing when he eats is too much.

He has had a bad review, but I only recall seeing one.

Old Feb 1, 19, 6:24 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by transpac View Post

I'm not a huge pad thai fan but have to admit it is pretty good at Thip Samai...some famous folks are said to favor this place. It's next to Jay Fai. They had a stall in the Siam Paragon Food Court, but I didn't see it recently.
Love Thip Samai am their Chanthaburi pad Thai. Before Jay Fai had her star, we walked past her empty expensive omelette joint to join the long line at Thip Samai. If only we’d known how hard it would be to get a spot for that omelette a few months later.

But add me to the camp that can’t stand Mark Wein’s sweetness.
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott PP & WoH Globalist
LIH Prem and VoiD like this.