FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I can't think of any meal worth waiting that kind of time for; and a crab omelette is certainly not on the list, regardless of how good it is. Last year I waited something in excess of 2˝ hours with Yosithezet at a Michelin starred noodle street food place in Singapore. It was very good, but not really that much better than some other places I've been, and certainly not worth the wait.
I agree, if we had known on the front end it was going to be that long no way. It sort of turned into in for a penny in for a pound.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Noticed Jay Fai now accepts reservation through email and I was able to reserve for 3 people in September.
Also got reservation to Gaggan.

Looking forward to them
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a new food court (prepaid) in Central World, in the rotunda on the 7th floor opposite the cinema.

There are many, many, many stalls, As with most food courts, popular restaurants, operating elsewhere in Bangkok for decades might open a stall in a food court so many are tried and true.

For example, a famous Khao Soi restaurant has a stall there.

It is a bit crowded these days as it just opened recently.

IMO, food courts offer an excellent opportunity to sample a wide variety of single-plate Thai offerings, in a clean and comfortable environment.

Definitely recommended.

Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:13 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
River View Guest House/Restaurant

Good view from 8th floor of the River View Guest House, tucked away a bit north of the Marine Department pier. I just had coffee, while getting choked from smoke from an adjoining ceremony, so I can't speak to the food.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"...smoke from an adjoining ceremony..."

Looks like it's from the Zhou Shi Kong Shrine?

ZHOU SHI KONG Talad Noi marketplace has been home to Hakka and Hokkien-speaking people since Bangkok’s early days. While the Hakka are known as masters cobblers thanks to their excellent leather work, the Hokkein are blacksmiths who create all sorts of things out of metal. The leather and metal masters follow different deities and visit different shrines and Zhou Shi Kong is one of the oldest and most respected shrines among the Hokkien. It houses the statue of Zhou Shi Kong – the respected Chinese monk who lived in Fujian, Southeast China. Influenced by Qing dynasty architecture, the shrine is a heritage site in itself boasting woodcarvings, paintings and more. The best time to visit Zhou Shi Kong is before lunch as Talad Noi is the best place to tuck into hearty Chinese food. WHERE: Soi Wanit 2, within easy walking distance of Pier No.4 of Chao Phraya Express Boat
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:16 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Any recommendation for a street food tour in Bangkok? I know there are some really great ones in other cities where you can visit very authentic places where you would not think it was possible to go inside or what to order, had a great one in Hanoi last year, but the ones I have seen in Bangkok look very "touristic" including sightseeing etc.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Musken
Any recommendation for a street food tour in Bangkok? I know there are some really great ones in other cities where you can visit very authentic places where you would not think it was possible to go inside or what to order, had a great one in Hanoi last year, but the ones I have seen in Bangkok look very "touristic" including sightseeing etc.
Ask the concierge at your hotel. Particularly if you're staying someplace nice, s/he will likely have some good recommendations. Just be clear with what you're looking for.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recommendation for a street food tour in Bangkok?

Are you looking for a small-group guided street food tour? There may be some recommendations within this thread, and a quick search of the wider internet yields quite a few well-reviewed options. Most seem to be ~ 4 hours, and ~ $35 (USD).

Or are you looking for a location where you can find a variety? Or are you looking for a variety of locations you can visit on your own?

Food courts, night markets, and specific street locations all offer options but vary based on day of the week, and time-of-day. The Rot Fai Night Market in Ratchada is always a hit with visitors. https://goo.gl/maps/BWZ4AiHmc982

I might avoid the "Floating Market" option unless it's one of a handful of weekend options, quite outside the city, frequented by Thais. I've been to Khlong Lad Thayom in Taling Chan, I usually recommend this one for a Saturday. https://goo.gl/maps/7jPTHkRsFpq
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:38 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Ask the concierge at your hotel. Particularly if you're staying someplace nice, s/he will likely have some good recommendations. Just be clear with what you're looking for.
I tried and they recommended me to book a private guide and discuss wishes with him/her in advance. I do not think that is required, a normal guided tour will be OK. Just a matter of finding the right one.

Last edited by Musken; Jan 9, 2019 at 12:59 am
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:59 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by transpac
Any recommendation for a street food tour in Bangkok?

Are you looking for a small-group guided street food tour? There may be some recommendations within this thread, and a quick search of the wider internet yields quite a few well-reviewed options. Most seem to be ~ 4 hours, and ~ $35 (USD).

Or are you looking for a location where you can find a variety? Or are you looking for a variety of locations you can visit on your own?

Food courts, night markets, and specific street locations all offer options but vary based on day of the week, and time-of-day. The Rot Fai Night Market in Ratchada is always a hit with visitors. https://goo.gl/maps/BWZ4AiHmc982

I might avoid the "Floating Market" option unless it's one of a handful of weekend options, quite outside the city, frequented by Thais. I've been to Khlong Lad Thayom in Taling Chan, I usually recommend this one for a Saturday. https://goo.gl/maps/7jPTHkRsFpq
Sorry that my question was not clear. I am looking at a small-group guider tour. I have done a search and found a lot of options which I why I try to ask you for personal experiences to find the best one. We will of course go to food courts and markets to try food on our own as well, but thought that it would be good to start with a tour to get some help finding the best spots and dishes.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:25 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Musken
We have done the Bangrak food tour which includes an Issan joint on the Thonburi side near the Peninsula with Bangkok Food Tours and we recommend it: https://www.bangkokfoodtours.com/ban...-walking-tour/

Their evening Chinatown food tour was a meh however, maybe the guide was not as prepared as the Bangrak one: https://www.bangkokfoodtours.com/chinatown/

Green Kari with Thai-style Roti - Kalpapruek Restaurant & Bakery by Prince Bhisatej Rajani

Crispy Fish with Green Mango Salad (Yum Pla Duk Foo) at the Issan joint Yum Rod Sab near the Peninsula (Soi Charoen Nakhon 9)

Grilled River Prawns at T&K Seafood Chinatown

Chili Paste Food Tour was good too at her Old Bangkok Food Tour in Banglamphu: https://foodtoursbangkok.com/

Minced shrimp dish at a restaurant at Praeng Phuton Rd. Banglamphu (Som Hom Kitchen)
Musken likes this.

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 30, 2019 at 12:32 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:16 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Detailed write up on Chili Paste food tour from Travelfish site (Travelfish is highly recommended on its own for SEAsia info).

Also, if you're ok with more do-it-yourself, you could do a lot worse than follow Mark Wiens 14 days in Bangkok YouTube
. By the way, he seems to be doing a lot less of his trademark OMG face these days.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
There is a new food court (prepaid) in Central World, in the rotunda on the 7th floor opposite the cinema.

There are many, many, many stalls, As with most food courts, popular restaurants, operating elsewhere in Bangkok for decades might open a stall in a food court so many are tried and true.

For example, a famous Khao Soi restaurant has a stall there.

It is a bit crowded these days as it just opened recently.

IMO, food courts offer an excellent opportunity to sample a wide variety of single-plate Thai offerings, in a clean and comfortable environment.

Definitely recommended.

Maybe it's the dishes I selected but I wasn't particularly impressed with this food court.

I preferred the MBK food court.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by rjh
Also, if you're ok with more do-it-yourself, you could do a lot worse than follow Mark Wiens 14 days in Bangkok YouTube series. By the way, he seems to be doing a lot less of his trademark OMG face these days.
I might even try to watch him again. I always liked the substance of his information with two exceptions, -- 1) everything he eats, and I do mean everything, seems to be spectacular. He never goes to a restaurant and finds it disappointing? Please. 2) That OMG face. Drives me nuts.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This recent video by Mark Wiens was a pretty wild "tour". Many, but not all, of these places are close to each other. You could probably hit two or three of these fairly easily.

Tours, guided or self, can be challenging: hours, transpo, open, etc. I usually bring people to a night market, or a food court, both of which have a wide variety of food. Sometimes I'll bring them to a large open-air restaurant. It all depends on the time of day, locations, traffic, their mobility. Some restaurants are closed on the third Wednesday of the month, others just close up whenever they get the urge.

I'm not a huge pad thai fan but have to admit it is pretty good at Thip Samai...some famous folks are said to favor this place. It's next to Jay Fai. They had a stall in the Siam Paragon Food Court, but I didn't see it recently.

https://goo.gl/maps/xLF7GrCmawv

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.