Bed Supperclub - Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2003, 9:11 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Bed Supperclub - Bangkok, Thailand

As listed in April 2003 Conde Nast Traveler

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Thai design typically tends toward the vibrant and ornate: riotus batiks and metalwork hammered into curvy basrelief. But for proof positive that minimalism is continuing its less-is-more domination of the planet, head for Bed Supperclub, Bangkok's latest hot spot. From the outside, its ovoid shell resembles a '70s spaceship preparing for liftoff. Indoors, an all white hangarlike design features a long row of beds where the supine sup on chef Dan Ivarie's nouvelle take on Thai classics-served by a waitstaff clad only in pajamas.</font>
http://www.bedsupperclub.com

Anyone been?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
We had a FlyerTalk dinner here on Friday.

Very cool club (locals say it is the hot see and be seen spot for the rich and famous).

They do a different "theme" every month and the themes are OVER the top.

The theme for August was "Adventure of Illusion". At the door, we were given hip red lens sunglasses, wristbands (mine said "I'm trapped"), and stickers (mine said "I'm fake"... others had "I'm behind" or "I'm nerdy").

The atmosphere of the restaurant/club is "hipper than thou". Large white "beds" (platforms) line the walls and you take off your shoes and lounge. Bed trays provide a resting spot for drinks and the decor, music, and staff are all part of the themed "experience". The red sunglasses helped us see hidden messages in the erected signs (large mock ups of our stickers with the main message in white and the "subliminal" opposite message only visible with the glasses).

Food was yummy, but the portions were very small. They only do one seating a night, so everyone in the club is served at one time (with about 20 minutes between courses).

Course one was a potato/cream soup with small pieces of fruit floated in it (both slices and tiny cubed pieces).

Course two was an arugula salad with cheese croutons, more fresh fruit, and other goodies.

Course three was a curled circle of fish (sea bass?) nestled on top of a dollup of wasabi mashed potatoes.

Course number four was a flourless chocolate cake with a liquid center and a small (teensy) scoop of a vanilla-ish (but sweeter) ice cream.

I think everyone in the group was surprised when dessert arrived because the portions were so small. Most of us were expecting another savoury course or two before sweets. This isn't the kind of place where people go to eat, though, they go to be a part of the scene.

Cocktails are frou-frou affairs with fun names, waitresses double as Grace Jones dancers, and trance music and lighting are more than background effects.

I would definitely go back here again with friends... but it isn't the kind of place I would go with coworkers or to have any type of "real" dinner. Still, it was quite the experience and I'm glad we went. Expats we have talked to have said it is THE hottest club in Asia right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.