Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thailand Help

Thailand Help

Old Sep 8, 02, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Thailand Help

Some additional information please for 3
college students' first trip to Thailand. Can anyone provide specifics on the following accommodations:

QUALITY SUITES BANGKOK AIRPORT
(Is it within walking distance of the airport?- just spending the night before catching an 8:00 am flight to Phuket.

CORAL RESORT - Phi Phi Island
Is it nice? Suggestions and recomemndations for scuba diving, nightlife, restaurants, please.

NARAI HOTEL im BANGKOK?
How far from airport?
Is it a nice hotel?
Restaurant recommendations?
Reputable tailors nearby?

Please give your sugggestions.

Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 02, 1:04 am

Never actually stayed at avy of these places but from quick searches on Google.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">QUALITY SUITES BANGKOK AIRPORT</font>
No longer owned/managed by Quality

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">(Is it within walking distance of the airport?- just spending the night before catching an 8:00 am flight to Phuket.</font>
Approx 2 km away from airport. Take a taxi. ATMs are located just outside customs. If looking for cheapest fare go upstairs to departure and try to catch a taxi just after they drop someone off. rough map

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">CORAL RESORT - Phi Phi Island
Is it nice? Suggestions and recomemndations for scuba diving, nightlife, restaurants, please. </font>
no idea.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">NARAI HOTEL im BANGKOK?
How far from airport?
Is it a nice hotel?
Reputable tailors nearby?</font>
approx 30 km from airport on Silom Rd.
Have not stayed there.
Eat any place where Thais are eating. They will know what is good. If they avoid a place you should too. Best food is often had at the street vendor carts.
Reputable tailors? In Thailand? I am sure there are some. If you find one let me know. Make sure you allow plenty of time for extra fittings. DO NOT ALLOW TUK TUK to take you to tailor, or gem shop, or .... give them defined destination and determine fare before getting in.

Old Sep 9, 02, 10:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Another FTer gave me the following info for BKK airport hotels:

You can walk to the Amari Airport Hotel via a skybridge.

The Sofitel Central is the one he recommended though as there's more around there if you do have some time to kill, and it's only a 15-minute drive to the airport. It's in a location where he said there really should be no traffic between there and the airport, especially early in the morning. I just priced both hotels and also found this one to be about $50 a night less than the Amari. He also advised that this hotel used to be the Central LadPrao and many cab drivers still know it by that name.
Old Sep 9, 02, 12:47 pm

The Amari hotel is very expensive, not really a 'student' place. I've stayed at the Asia Airport hotel and Comfort Suites Airport Bangkok. Both of these have shuttles to the airport and cost $30-$35. Both are functional, but OK for one night. See www.asiahotels.com for reviews etc.
Old Sep 10, 02, 12:43 am

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
Comfort Suites has very oversized rooms and are good acceptable quality. Price is good. Free van service to/from terminal. It is actually near the end of the runway! No, by it, not on it!

AMari is too expensive, but connected to the terminal. No longer has the good Swiss buffet dinners.

Narai hotel is near the main party area on Silom Rd. A lot to see and do nearby. A Thai hotel with much traffic in and out. Good value. Near everything and within walking distance. A 6AM trip to the airport would be indicated on the Freeway.

I have stayed at all of them and a few others, that I would not recommend.
Marriott Bangkok resort is my favorite.
Old Sep 11, 02, 2:28 am

NARAI HOTEL im BANGKOK?
- YES

How far from airport?
- Narai is in Central Bangkok (Silom Financial Distric). Walking dist to Patpong (night market). 3 min walk to skytrain.

Is it a nice hotel?
- A bit old now, but very nice.

- Plenty in Silom area.

Reputable tailors nearby?
- Plenty in Silom area.
Old Sep 11, 02, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
The Narai is a bit too far south down Silom for my tastes. The closest skytrain station is Sathanee Chong Nonsi, a bit of a walk (be careful crossing Silom) - but closer than Sala Daeng which is just past the Patpong area/night market.

Another area to consider is Sukumvit, east of Nana and west of Asok. There are numerous hotels with, IMHO, more-than-adequate rooms for college students in the sub-US$40 range. The area is quite touristy, there are many tailors (you will generally get no more than what you pay for) and many, many very good to excellent restaurants offering up a wide variety of the world's major cuisines. Sathanee Asok and especially Sathanee Nana are the skytrain stations that serve that area. Finally, that area is easily accessed from the airport in less than 30 minutes (unless the traffic is especially heavy) by first taking the Tollway south, and then the Expressway (total tolls: 70 baht... less than US$2), and exiting on the Sukhumvit offramp and turning left onto Sukhumvit.

Edited to add: the Narai does have an OK pizza place, not surprisingly named the Narai Pizzeria. It is off the lobby on the right. I've gone to the hotel a number of times just for the pizza. Be warned though... Thais do not generally like cheese, and are rather unfamiliar with the proper amounts to use, as it is not at all a food they normally consume. Therefore, they either put on too little or, more often, way too much cheese, smothering the pizza, as is the case in the Narai. Why do I keep coming back to that restaurant? Habit.

[This message has been edited by UAL Traveler (edited 09-11-2002).]
Old Sep 11, 02, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
Agree the Narai is too far South and away from Skyway station.

Sounds to me, like there not enough time for a tailor to do their work.

Why go all the way into town for part of a nite, when the Comfort Suites room will sleep about half a dozen if necessary for a low price.
Old Sep 12, 02, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Yes, one night is an awfully short stay in BKK. IMO, it would be well worth it if an extra day can be arranged in BKK, even if it means a tradeoff of one less day on the island.