Search

Thailand Eats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2001, 10:25 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thailand Eats

State your favorite eats in Thailand, please!

I will be in Chaing Mai, Bangkok, and Phuket.
Old Dec 2, 2001, 10:37 am
Original Member

Chiang Mai:
Galae, a Thai restaurant part-way up the mountain. They have a roped-off table reserved for the King.

Mozart, a nice European street restaurant at the Night Market.

Both of the above are pretty reasonable.

Phuket:
All in Patong---

Very expensive:
Fisherman... wonderful outdoor seafood restaurant at the Novotel

Ban Rim Pha... Thai restaurant on the beach, great atmosphere.

Inexpensive:
Rondtarn... Steak restaurant off Soi Bang La, the main shopping street. It is acually on Soi Patong Resort.

In Bangkok, I would personally avoid the overpriced and unremarkable Oriental Hotel, although some people love it. The buffet at Sukkothai Hotel is the best.

Have fun!
Old Dec 18, 2001, 7:37 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks QuietLion, you confirmed other threads about the Oriental and the Sukkothai Hotel!

anybody else?
Old Dec 18, 2001, 12:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
well, I did copy this from Fodors 3 years ago, but in the meantime I did test it sevral times and agree

CABBAGES & CONDOMS Location: 10 Sukhumvit Soi 12, $4 to $10. Thai: Don't be misled by the restaurant's name or disconcerted by the array of contraceptive devices for sale. C&C is a fund-raiser for Thailand's birth-control program, the Population & Community Development Association. Once you accept this strange association, you'll find the Thai food here excellently prepared, with such dishes as chicken wrapped in a pandanus leaf, crisp fried fish with chili sauce, and shrimp in a mild curry sauce. There's a simply decorated dining room and a pleasant garden with bench tables under shady trees-one of the few places in Bangkok to sit outside without noise and air pollution. AE, DC, MC, V.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 9:50 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
My BKK picks are:

Sala Rim Naam, at the Oriental Hotel, 66.2.437.6221. My first trip there for the lunch buffet had me in a goosebump fit! Wonderful.

Somboon Seafood, 169/7-11 Surawong Rd., opposite Peugeot showroom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, 233.3104, 234.4499 (also in Bantadthong and Ratchada). The best crab curry I've ever had.

Ton Po, Phra Atit Rd. No phone. Outdoor (on a veranda) riverside dining on the Chao Phraya. We quite liked the haw moke plaa (curried fish custard, thickened with coconut cream and steamed in banana leaves), but one or two of the other dishes were too funky - even for me. It'd help to go with someone who REALLY knows Thai cuisine.

Prachak, 1415 Charoen Krung (New Road), Silom Bansak, 02.234.3755. No-frills restaurant. Difficult to find; I think it's near the Shangri-La and across from the Robinson Department Store between Sathorn Rd. and Silom Rd. (it's a slightly large range; if anyone finds a more precise intersection, let me know). The red pork (moo dang) and roast duck (ped) are the more popular dishes here. No credit cards; one of the cheapest meals of your life. Also, watch out for the spicy soup which Peter & I almost managed to finish (as the waitpeople watched in amazement & amusement while we sweated).

Thanying, 10 Pramuan Rd, Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok, 236.4361, 235.0371, F: 635.0113. Nice atmosphere (and food, of course!).

Spice Market, in the Regent Hotel, 155 Rajadamri Road. Good food and a nice atmosphere. Calming after a day in BKK traffic. I believe they serve nam doc mai, Thai mango with sticky rice & coconut milk.
Old May 29, 2003, 2:28 am
R&R

A very nice Seafood buffet dinner on the Terrace on the River's edge at the Bangkok Marriott Resort. Seafood and meats are continuously being prepared along with all the other dishes-Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Amer, etc. Everything is fresh and tasty to go with the starry nites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.