Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

BKK - CEB Flight: What Airline To Use? Award Flight Possible?

Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US

Next summer, we'll be flying BKK to CEB. Google flight has the following three airlines listed as best flights.

Scoot 9.5 hrs total travel, 3 hr connection in SIN
Cebu Pacific 8 hrs total travel, 2.5 hr connection in MNL
Philippine Airline 7.5 hrs total travel, 2.5 hr connection in MNL ,

Philippine Airline fare is about $100 more than Scoot and Cebu Pacific, but has free luggage. Scoot and Cebu Pacific are budget airlines. I am sure I'll be paying luggage fees on that. So, price difference is probably less than the $100.

I read Ben from One Mile at A Time saying that Manila (MNL) is the one of the worst airport for connection. What would be your suggestion? Which airline should I take?

Also, I can't seem to find any award travel for 4 on economy for BKK-CEB flight on OneWorld, StarAlliance or Skyteam. Any suggestion on award travel?

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What time of day do the flights depart - arrive?
SIN is set up for connections as the SQ business is dependant on transfers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mactan...tional_Airport
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Scoot and Cebu Pacific leave BBK around 11am and arrive CEB 9pm + and 8pm+. Philippine Airline leaves 1:30pm, arrives 10pm. I don't particularly like these hours, a bit too late for my taste.

There are no SQ flight that I can do within a day. SQ flights, I got to overnight in SIN.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Any options on CX via HKG? I believe they have flights HKG-CEB but not sure of the timings.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I am somewhat surprised that Cebu Pacific hasnt restarted direct flights from Cebu to Bangkok. There does seem to be a PH airline direct twice a week if you are flexible but its gonna be more expensive.

Next summer? I hate to say it but youre planning a little far ahead on this. You shouldnt need to book these flights any closer than 3 weeks ahead! Also you might try following AirAsia and Cebu on twitter when they announce deals. I have had the AirAsia Airpass a few times. It is like $150 and then ya get a few months of free flights. Great for long trips or if you live there. I have gotten 4 of them.

Transiting in Manila isnt the end of the world. Everyone speaks english at least, and flights to Cebu go every 30 minutes so if you get delayed, its reasonable to expect a short wait for the next flight. Transiting elsewhere there might only be one daily flight.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 11:58 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Sitting in the CX lounge now, I just saw a Cebu Pacific A330 taxi out in BKK - so they have restarted to some extent
Old Aug 26, 2023, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Any options on CX via HKG? I believe they have flights HKG-CEB but not sure of the timings.
Good point. There is a good option on CX if I leave a day later. Connection is 1 hour and 20 minutes, seems just right - not too tight, not too long.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
I am somewhat surprised that Cebu Pacific hasnt restarted direct flights from Cebu to Bangkok. There does seem to be a PH airline direct twice a week if you are flexible but its gonna be more expensive.

Next summer? I hate to say it but youre planning a little far ahead on this. You shouldnt need to book these flights any closer than 3 weeks ahead! Also you might try following AirAsia and Cebu on twitter when they announce deals. I have had the AirAsia Airpass a few times. It is like $150 and then ya get a few months of free flights. Great for long trips or if you live there. I have gotten 4 of them.

Transiting in Manila isnt the end of the world. Everyone speaks english at least, and flights to Cebu go every 30 minutes so if you get delayed, its reasonable to expect a short wait for the next flight. Transiting elsewhere there might only be one daily flight.
There is a direct flight between BKK and CEB, but it is overnight, which I dont want to do. Maybe by the time I fly next summer, there will be more choices. I am trying to use miles, so I am looking at it this early. Best choice is probably to hold off until a few months before. I just to get stuff in order early.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by opus2002
There is a direct flight between BKK and CEB, but it is overnight, which I dont want to do. Maybe by the time I fly next summer, there will be more choices. I am trying to use miles, so I am looking at it this early. Best choice is probably to hold off until a few months before. I just to get stuff in order early.
Not sure why you want to use miles in Asia. It is never a good deal. The tax on a Cathay award is more than just straight up buying a ticket on an LCC. LCCs in Asia are just too damn affordable. Save your miles for those tasty transcontinental biz class flights!
Old Aug 26, 2023, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Not sure why you want to use miles in Asia. It is never a good deal. The tax on a Cathay award is more than just straight up buying a ticket on an LCC. LCCs in Asia are just too damn affordable. Save your miles for those tasty transcontinental biz class flights!
I priced out Scoot from BKK to CEB via SIN. Scoot is charging me twice for luggage (BKK to SIN, then SIN-CEB). Is that common for the low cost carriers in Asia?

Still, it came out cheaper than the Philippine Airline one.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not sure why you want to use miles in Asia. It is never a good deal.
Can't agree with that, at all. Have gotten many great redemptions intra-Asia, most recently DPS-BKK on SQ in J for around 4 cpm.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Sitting in the CX lounge now, I just saw a Cebu Pacific A330 taxi out in BKK - so they have restarted to some extent
Are you sure it is a direct flight to CEB? I cannot see any on their site. yes they have started their BKK flights a long time ago from MNL. To be honest their service is not that bad on the 330s. Even their Neo is music better than Air Asia 321s. And the service too. I fly to MNL and then make the connection to CEB. PAL is always so full unlike 5J. Because of their lack of parts for Neo they are operating the 330s to BKK a lot more than they planned.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Are you sure it is a direct flight to CEB? I cannot see any on their site. yes they have started their BKK flights a long time ago from MNL. To be honest their service is not that bad on the 330s. Even their Neo is music better than Air Asia 321s. And the service too. I fly to MNL and then make the connection to CEB. PAL is always so full unlike 5J. Because of their lack of parts for Neo they are operating the 330s to BKK a lot more than they planned.
I do neither care for LCCs, nor much for the Philippines, but now you got me curious and had to look it up According to Suvarnabhumi departures, it seems indeed that Cebu Pacific only has flights to MNL and Luzon from BKK. At least on Saturdays, which coincides with the day and time I saw that plane.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Cebu Pacific, PAL and Air Asia all fly to MNL from BKK and DMK in the case of Air Asia. They all have daily flights, in fact 2 flights per day at least. Then TG also flies to MNL from BKK.
When you say Luzon, what destination do you mean as Luzon is the island and MNL is in Luzon too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.