Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Flight number in passport

Old Feb 20, 23, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver

My wive and I are visiting Thailand and Laos. After returning in BKK from Laos it struck me that the immigration officer was extremely busy with my passport (and judging the slow progress of our line, probably also passports in front of me).
When he returned my passport I noticed that he had written my inbound flight number next to the stamp, along with some other numeric data. I never had this on previous visits (I have quite a few Thai stamps), including my arrival from the EU a few weeks earlier.
My wive, who was in another (much quicker) queue, didn’t get this special attention.
Does anyone have any idea what this is all about?

Last edited by Great_circle; Feb 22, 23 at 5:24 am
Old Feb 20, 23, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Many (but not all) of my Thai entry stamps have the arriving flight, such as NH805, written above the admission stamp. This has been the case for years. 😊
Old Feb 20, 23, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
I have 12 Thai entry stamps in this passport and this particular stamp was the first stamp with a written flight number plus some other numbers.
Old Feb 21, 23, 12:08 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
All my entry and exit stamps for as long as I can remember (and there are a lot!) have in-/outbound flight number written on them, as well as visa class for the inbound. For the latter, I do not remember what they put for visa exemption for tourists as I have been on Non-B for the past six years - but that is what they then write along with flight number.
Great_circle and BinSabai like this.
Old Feb 21, 23, 2:07 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
in my newest passport I have 6 arrival stamps with flight number and 6 without

I did not count the arrival stamps in my 6 previous passports with hundreds of arrivals to Thailand during the last 27 years...
Old Feb 21, 23, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
OK, you made me pull out my passport.
4 Entry stamps with flight number, 9 entry stamps without.
No exit stamps with flight number.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Feb 21, 23, 9:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
This makes me start to wonder if I am on some sort of secret watch- or tracking list
Great_circle likes this.
Old Feb 22, 23, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
OK, you made me pull out my passport.
4 Entry stamps with flight number, 9 entry stamps without.
No exit stamps with flight number.
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
This makes me start to wonder if I am on some sort of secret watch- or tracking list
Well, now I have to pull out my passport when I get home and look how often I am on the "tracking list". Haha.
Thailand - always inconsistent!
Great_circle likes this.
Old Feb 24, 23, 1:36 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Wow! I never really noticed that recording flight numbers was a thing. So obvs I had to check my passport, which is 9 years old with 43/48 pages used. I have between 1 and 4 entries to Thailand per year and after all this time and travel the flight number was recorded on a whopping 7 entry stamps and 1 departure stamp, averaging maybe a third of the time.
Old Feb 24, 23, 6:12 pm

Programs: TK Gold, ITA Gold, VA Platinum, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
You got me curious. So over 3 passports:
10 stamps with flight number and 4 without.

In addition I noted the following handwriting:
USA initials 6
China exit date 3
Fiji looks like an officer number 4
Vietnam date 2
Indonesia signature 1
Malaysia signature 2
Sri Lanka Signature 1
Great_circle likes this.
Old Feb 26, 23, 8:28 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
In the last 10 years on about 5% of countless flights from and to Bangkok departing or arriving manned immigration is the flight number shown in my passport.

For about 4 years until use of auto channel was terminated for PR Holders I departed SVB on an international flight and arrived at the same airport (about 100 departures during this period). About 98% of the time I successfully used the auto channel and boarding pass was scanned. Mandatory and not special attention in this case.
Old Feb 27, 23, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Well, now I have to pull out my passport when I get home and look how often I am on the "tracking list". Haha.
Thailand - always inconsistent!
I have flight numbers on 3 out of 15 Thailand entries on my current passport. Guess I am not exciting enough to track often. Haha
Old Feb 27, 23, 5:53 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Diamond
Maybe every immigration officer has "quota to fill" like mark flight numbers of 10 random passengers. Then they do it for 10 first of their shift are done with it
Great_circle likes this.
Old Feb 27, 23, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Perusing back a while, 30 of 31 of my entry stamps have the flight number. 28 of 31 exit stamps have it. FWIW.
Old Mar 5, 23, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Great_circle
My wive and I are visiting Thailand and Laos. After returning in BKK from Laos it struck me that the immigration officer was extremely busy with my passport (and judging the slow progress of our line, probably also passports in front of me).
When he returned my passport I noticed that he had written my inbound flight number next to the stamp, along with some other numeric data. I never had this on previous visits (I have quite a few Thai stamps), including my arrival from the EU a few weeks earlier.
My wive, who was in another (much quicker) queue, didnt get this special attention.
Does anyone have any idea what this is all about?
i just checked mine actually said NH805 but some other stamps did not. Not consistant like some others mention on this board

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.