Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Thailand from the states....

Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Anyone traveling to Thailand from the states and had a layover in either Taiwan or Japan? If so, how long was your layover and what requirements/documents are needed? Based from what I've read so far, some have said a PCR test within 48 hrs of departure and flight must be on the same day. Thanks!

PS: I'm fully vaccinated, with three shots
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I had a four hour layover in Tokyo two weeks ago....no requirements/documents required other than what were required at my final destination (Thailand).
Teacher10 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Teacher10
Anyone traveling to Thailand from the states and had a layover in either Taiwan or Japan? If so, how long was your layover and what requirements/documents are needed? Based from what I've read so far, some have said a PCR test within 48 hrs of departure and flight must be on the same day. Thanks!

Likely it has to be on one PNR. That has been a requirement for some airports in the past.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrquad
Likely it has to be on one PNR. That has been a requirement for some airports in the past.
I'm sorry what's a PNR? I googled the acronym and it says passenger name record. What do you mean?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I'm sorry what's a PNR? I googled the acronym and it says passenger name record. What do you mean?
It means, your flight, USA-Japan-Thailand must be booked as one ticket, and not two separate tickets.

You can also fly USA-Seoul, S.Korea-Thailand. There is no Covid-19 testing requirements for transit in Korea or Japan. 😊
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:51 am

Has anyone traveled from the east coast US to Thailand via Istanbul? Looking to go in November.

What's a safe layover time? I'm assuming 2 hours is too short. I'm guessing about 4 hours would be good to hedge against minor delays.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS) TK Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by listorganizer
Has anyone traveled from the east coast US to Thailand via Istanbul? Looking to go in November.

What's a safe layover time? I'm assuming 2 hours is too short. I'm guessing about 4 hours would be good to hedge against minor delays.
I haven't flown from the U.S east coast to IST but I have transferred there many times and 2 hours is fine assuming your flight is on time and it is on one PNR.
the longer the layover, the safer your connection will be.
This might be more of a question for the TK forum.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by listorganizer

That' my normal route. 2hrs is more than enough to connect. Last Thursday I had a 2hr layover at ist coming from bkk and had plenty of time for transit security, shower, and refreshments.

Coming from the US is even faster because there won't be any transit security to deal with.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
It means, your flight, USA-Japan-Thailand must be booked as one ticket, and not two separate tickets.

You can also fly USA-Seoul, S.Korea-Thailand. There is no Covid-19 testing requirements for transit in Korea or Japan. 😊
It can be on two separate PNRs, but they should be either the same airline, or at least the same alliance, if you're checking luggage through. Also zip-air is not an option for one of the legs, as they will require you to enter Japan.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by TPACjv
That' my normal route. 2hrs is more than enough to connect. Last Thursday I had a 2hr layover at ist coming from bkk and had plenty of time for transit security, shower, and refreshments.

Coming from the US is even faster because there won't be any transit security to deal with.
Thanks, will give it a try!
TPACjv likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:28 pm

Had my flight from LAX to BKK on JAL with a layover in NRT.

They do your document check before you board to Tokyo. I had to present my Thaipass, Covid vaccine card and my travel insurance showing I meet the minimum Covid requirement. No PCR test was needed since I was vaccinated, so you should be fine there.
Nothing was asked of me in NRT, and with how things are at Narita, flights are consistently delayed between 1-3 hours to make sure passengers get to their planes, as NRT closes after midnight.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're planning to connect in Japan, you should be aware of the following:

1. Transfers between HND and NRT aren't allowed, unless you're permitted to enter Japan (citizen, organized tour group, permanent resident, etc.).

2. Scheduled overnight connections at NRT aren't allowed.

3. At HND, you can spend the night in the terminal, so an overnight connection would be allowed without entering Japan. However, the airside transit hotels still seem to be closed.
kevino likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.