Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK transfers

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

BKK transfers

I am traveling someplace in August, and Cambodia is one of my finalists. Because the flight is funded with miles, the route is a bit odd. Right now, one option is for me to get me on a better flight, but it can only get me to BKK, not Cambodia. So, I would have to on my own get a flight from BKK to PNM. I am a bit hesitant about this because I know I will be on my own if that BKK-PNM flight is delayed or cancelled. Is Thai Smile or Bangkok Air good carriers?

Also, at BKK, would I have to go through immigration and customs to get my flight to PNM? I am only having carryon. How much time would be needed? The BKK to PNM flight is **NOT** one of the carriers I am using to get me to BKK, so where would I get the tickets from if I am airside the entire time in BKK?

As a side question, I am interested in this flight because it can give me a 5.5 hour layover in Munich Germany. If not, there is a flight I can take all the way to Cambodia, but there is no good oppertunities for a layover? Is the 5.5 hour layover in MUC worth the hassle I described here, or should I simply take the ticket all the way to Cambodia? Either way, I will arrive at the same time in Cambodia.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Why on earth would you aim for a 5.5 hrs layover in MUC and add the uncertainty of separate ticket connections? WE and PG are perfectly fine (WE preferable if you ask me), but if you have the option of going all the way through on one ticket, I would suggest to take it just to make your travels easier
Old May 20, 2022, 10:24 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Thai smile is a subsidiary of Thai Airways. Bangkok Airways is a boutique airline known for good service. Both are good airlines.

with separate tickets you’d most likely have to enter Thailand to fetch your bags if you will have checked bags and get a Thai pass to do that. You could do that if you have to but separate tickets adds a risk factor to your journey that might not be worth it. If you’re on a single ticket and there’s a flight cancelation or weather or other event the airline will help you get back on track. With separate tickets you’re on your own when ne ticket ends and the next one begins.

What do both itineraries look like?

-David
Old May 21, 2022, 6:22 am
Original Poster

I will simply take it all the way to Cambodia. Something less to go wrong. That one takes me from CLT to EWR, long layover in EWR, then JFK to TPE, then 3 hr layover in TPE at 5 AM, with a 830ish flight to PHN.

Other one is afternoon CLT to MUC flight then MUC to BKK. Arrives at BKK around 6 AM. Another advantage about the MUC connection is that I do not have the EWR/JFK set of flights. But that isn't a huge deal.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:21 pm

Agree with your conclusion.

You can keep checking for a better itinerary but other than the EWR/JFK transfer and layover (how long?) it’s one ticket all the way to your final destination.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA
Taiwan may or may not be open for transit in August, so keep that in mind.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

that was actually a bit in the back of my mind as well. I am not booking anything until mid June, and I still do not know where I am going, so this all might be moot. Regardless, none of my possible destinations (Sri Lanka, Bali, Egypt, Cambodia) have perfect flights or perfect weather. I am trying to figure out the best balance for me. As I posted on other forums, Sri Lanka is my top pick (and is obviously not part of the BKK/PNH issue) but who knows what is going on with the crisis there by the time August rolls around. Cambodia sounds fascinating, but I am slightly put off by the weather (but then again, I know from a photography standpoint the temples are not crowded and awesome in green, and good hotels are cheap. Bali does not excite me all that much, so that is probably last, although I know I will enjoy it. Never been to Bali, but I spent time in India, Cairo (from a 12 hour layover), and some of SE Asia. Egypt is another option. I know it will be hot, but the off-season can allow me to be in really nice hotels cheap. But, I would like to wait until the new Egyptian museum is open.

So, nothing is perfect. I think Sri Lanka is my top pick, but if that does not work politically, Cambodia is my #2. but, I think any of the 4 possibilities will be nice. I always try to hook up a side trip with my main trip, so that is why I asked about the BKK transfer, as it will allow me time in MUC, but 6 hrs isn't much anyway.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by samNC078
. . . I always try to hook up a side trip with my main trip, so that is why I asked about the BKK transfer, as it will allow me time in MUC, but 6 hrs isn't much anyway.
If you have any desire to go the city, 6 hrs is not really enough as you will have 1.5hrs round trip on the train. So 4.5 hrs - and you still have to clear immigration/security. At best you might have a couple hours. Would strongly suggest doing MUC another time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.