Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Best island/beach resort to spend 5 days in for honeymoon in September?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:47 pm
G4L
Original Poster

I'll be in Bangkok for 1 week for a wedding in mid-September and as my wife and I didn't have our honeymoon yet, we were thinking of spending an extra week in a beach resort somewhere in Thailand. According to the wikipedia and other sites, September is the rainiest month in Phuket, Krabi, etc and because of this we have decided to spend our week in Koh Samui.

Currently, we've narrowed it down to Conrad and Banyan Tree. Banyan Tree is my wife's choice as Conrad seems very secluded. Do you guys have any recommendations and are there other hotels that I should take a look at? We are looking for a villa with an oceanfront view.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Conrad is great, but you are right it is very secluded. So the beauty comes at the price of not being able to eat outside the hotel.

I would still go back though!
Old May 1, 2022, 11:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The best on the island is the Four Seasons, but you will have to pay for it.

I’d rate the Banyan Tree over the Conrad at the moment, but both have very limited F&B just now. If it’s your style, I’d take a look at the W as well..

I’m a long-term resident at the Belmond Napasai which is a bit older and could do with maintenance but which has incredibly beautiful villas, the largest private beach on Samui and excellent service.

You could also do 3 days on Samui and then do a couple of days at a true beachfront villa at the Anantara Rasananda on Koh Phangan which is a 20min private speedboat away (+however long a drive to the pier).
Old May 3, 2022, 11:02 pm
G4L
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The best on the island is the Four Seasons, but you will have to pay for it.

I’d rate the Banyan Tree over the Conrad at the moment, but both have very limited F&B just now. If it’s your style, I’d take a look at the W as well..

I’m a long-term resident at the Belmond Napasai which is a bit older and could do with maintenance but which has incredibly beautiful villas, the largest private beach on Samui and excellent service.

You could also do 3 days on Samui and then do a couple of days at a true beachfront villa at the Anantara Rasananda on Koh Phangan which is a 20min private speedboat away (+however long a drive to the pier).
Just had a chat with my friend who stayed at Banyan Tree and he said that there were a lot of mosquitoes in September during the rainy season.
Old May 4, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by G4L
Just had a chat with my friend who stayed at Banyan Tree and he said that there were a lot of mosquitoes in September during the rainy season.
Well, that would apply to all of Southeast Asia then Banyan Tree is no more a mosquito magnet than anywhere else
Old May 5, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Koh Lipe is my favourite island in Thailand (but no fancy chain resorts/hotels).
Old May 10, 2022, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Well, that would apply to all of Southeast Asia then Banyan Tree is no more a mosquito magnet than anywhere else
Properties differ in how aggressively they spray for mosquitoes. In my experience Banyan Tree properties don't spray much at all. Vana Belle sprays every day and it helps quite a bit. When I stayed at W a couple years back, the mosquitoes were awful down by the beach, but better up on the hillside.
Old May 15, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: BA, AS, OZ
Samui area is a good choice for September re: rain/monsoon. At least the rain doesn't usually get socked in anyway, so once you figure out the pattern you can plan around it and have decent weather for the rest of the day. If you're looking for somewhere private for a special occasion, maybe consider also private island villas off of Samui for a true escape? For example, I'd suggest a stay on Cape Fahn (see: Cape Fahn Reviews on Flyertalk) since it's on a private island of its own with ocean view villas with private pool. Their packages usually include transfers and complementary amenities and/or activities. And it's super close to the main Samiu island if you want to stay somewhere secluded and quiet, but have access to the activities on Samui.
I'd suggest that since you're booking during the low season, call up the hotels you're interested in directly to book or check out their pages on social media. Often, they have packages that they don't even publish on their websites and you can almost always get better deals than through outlets online, especially for special occasions such as a honeymoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.