Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Accomodation - Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui

I'm hoping to book flights arriving bkk on June 17

BKK JUNE 17 TO 21
CM JUNE 21 TO 25
KS JUNE 25 TO JULY 2
BKK JULY 2 TO 6 and departing July 6 for YYZ

I've decided to go with the W in BKK for 4 nights as they can accommodate us (myself and 2 nephews) on 2 queen beds.

Im stuck deciding where to stay in Chiang Mai and Koh Samui

Do I spend my money on luxury hotels (only place I can actually afford it is Asia) like the Four Seasons or 137 in Chiang Mai? Or do I book a relatively luxurious/5 star hotel but at a more reasonable price? Any suggestions for modern hotels in CM with 2 doubles or 2 queens?

Same issue for KS. Conrad, Six Senses, Vana Belle, FS, and a few others for 1 week will cost me about 5k-6k CAD. Do I do it and chalk it up to a "once in a lifetime" or do I take the more practical route and book a luxury villa at maybe half that price?

I understand that it's all relative and no one can really decide for me but I like being in nice, modern hotels where I can get the royal treatment, modern decor, comfortable beds, good food, nice beachfront location, easy walk or accessibility to taxis/shuttles to the heart of town...so am open to suggestions of hotels or villas.

If a villa, then what would it cost to have most meals cooked for 1 adult and 2 boys over 7 days? No lobster/crab and must be halal...

I had initially budgeted 15k for the 3 of us for 3 weeks...but I'm sure I could do it cheaper. I just dont want to give up the "luxury" aspect of it. This 15k was to cover everything. But I think I can do it for 10k or maybe less.

With international flights costing 4k for the 3 of us, it leaves 6k to cover internal flights, accomodation, transport, activities and food. Is that being too ambitious?

Any ideas or suggestions?

I figure I can use the balance of the vacation budget for another trip during the cold, harsh Canadian winter
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You want to spend 5k on just accommodation and 1k on everything else for 3-4 weeks? I’d adjust that budget to do half and half on accommodation and activities/flights. I myself spent 2k on just food/drinks/Uber’s in Bangkok alone back in 2019. This is Usd
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Cthunder86
You want to spend 5k on just accommodation and 1k on everything else for 3-4 weeks? I’d adjust that budget to do half and half on accommodation and activities/flights. I myself spent 2k on just food/drinks/Uber’s in Bangkok alone back in 2019. This is Usd
Uber in Thailand? are you sure you were in Thailand?
2000 USD for food, drinks and transportation/entries in Bangkok? for 3-4 weeks? for one person without parties, without more expensive restaurants this will be enough
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by BinSabai
2000 USD for food, drinks and transportation/entries in Bangkok? for 3-4 weeks? for one person without parties, without more expensive restaurants this will be enough
Uber was in Thailand for about five years (started in 2014.) They ended up selling their SE Asia businesses (incl Thailand) to Grab in 2018 or so.

They may not have been there still in 2019 but the OP was perhaps using the term "Uber" generically to mean ride share services.
Cthunder86 and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
Did you not see there are three people? Even if it was one person it slid be 2,000/20 days which is 100 Canadian a day. From his or her post it sounds like they want to really enjoy their time so 100 a day between one person let alone three would leave them with regrets

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Uber was in Thailand for about five years (started in 2014.) They ended up selling their SE Asia businesses (incl Thailand) to Grab in 2018 or so.

They may not have been there still in 2019 but the OP was perhaps using the term "Uber" generically to mean ride share services.
yes I was thanks
Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Well if the kids are not yet teenager it will not be a supplement to pay for the third one in the room.
I usually book a room for 2, and no problem for 2 adults with a young kid.

​​​​​​I am staying actually 25 days in Thailand with 5 stars hotels and my hotel budget is around 3300USD.

This is Including 6 days in St Regis BKK and 7 days in Ritz Carlton Koh Samui + Test and Go fast track in Grand Hyatt Erawan (1 pax)...

I used some Marriott best rate guarantee and promo sales.
You can also use Megatix vouchers for some Marriott properties.

Concerning Koh Samui, villa can be a good choice, you can get one of the best sunset/view on all the island, huge pool and modern villa (look for accomodation in Booking.com close to big Buddah Koh Samui, in the hills close to it, there a bunch of great villa facing west and with incredible view (Sea/mountain/Koh Phangan island)...
Chef who come cook in the villa is also not expensive.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
This is Including 6 days in St Regis BKK and 7 days in Ritz Carlton Koh Samui + Test and Go fast track in Grand Hyatt Erawan (1 pax)...
Good for you - I would rather have my teeth pulled out than step foot in that hotel (bold) ever again
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:41 pm

I saw some hotels in Bangkok have a deal where you will get the cash amount you spend on a room per day for use on F&b/spa services. So a rate of 4,000 baht per day for the hotel will mean you get a credit of 4,000 to spend in the hotel. Great for a stay cation.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Good for you - I would rather have my teeth pulled out than step foot in that hotel (bold) ever again
I was considering the St Regis BKK for a couple days on an upcoming trip.

Right now it's a toss up between the Park Hyatt and St Regis.

Can you share your reason why never again? Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dean19
I was considering the St Regis BKK for a couple days on an upcoming trip.

Right now it's a toss up between the Park Hyatt and St Regis.

Can you share your reason why never again? Thanks
It is a long story, but I would sum it up as pretentious, arrogant and trying so hard to be perceived as something it is not.

I would say Park Hyatt is in a different league, so if you are undecided between those two I would say definitely go for the PH.

Maybe consider adding Waldorf Astoria to the mix too btw - I like that one a lot (will use it for Test & Go this week as well)
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
It is a long story, but I would sum it up as pretentious, arrogant and trying so hard to be perceived as something it is not.

I would say Park Hyatt is in a different league, so if you are undecided between those two I would say definitely go for the PH.

Maybe consider adding Waldorf Astoria to the mix too btw - I like that one a lot (will use it for Test & Go this week as well)
Thanks. I will definitely consider the WA as well.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm presently at the Vana Belle and it's been great. You can really tell that Koh Samui is suffering from COVID fall-out. Fair number of hotels, restaurants and other businesses closed, but not enough to be lacking. The Vana Belle clearly has some deferred maintenance and some minor limitations of food and beverage service but again not enough to be lacking. The level of service and attention from the staff is incredible. The beach in front of the hotel is stunning. We've rented a car and are enjoying the freedom that allows, so dining options are available. We did our first day test and go at the Athenee with their 2 hour fast track, which was really nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.