Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

the end of quarantine free entry?

the end of quarantine free entry?

Old Jan 23, 22, 10:07 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
What a bunch of absolute nonsense this latest plan is. It's not just inconvenient and costly to book the day 5 hotel, there's the very real possibility of a forced quarantine if you test asymptomatically positive for the highly transmissible omicron at day 5.

We're delaying travel to Thailand until at least September. I suspect many thousands of other potential visitors will also be looking elsewhere.
I am waiting to see how the final government plan is published before deciding for sure but I agree. This is a poorly thought out plan.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 23, 22, 7:17 pm
formerly dav662

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Would anyone know about travellers who have tested positive and have certificate of recovery? Do they still allow them to travel to Thailand and do they have to (1) get a negative test to travel? Get a test done on day 1 and day 5?
Old Jan 24, 22, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold, AA Platinum
What a bunch of absolute nonsense this latest plan is. It's not just inconvenient and costly to book the day 5 hotel, there's the very real possibility of a forced quarantine if you test asymptomatically positive for the highly transmissible omicron at day 5.

We're delaying travel to Thailand until at least September. I suspect many thousands of other potential visitors will also be looking elsewhere.
Agreed with you, and it feel like Thailand still harbor arrogance thinking on tourism because they think they can throw hurdles and people will tolerate. I suspect that more countries are giving up on strict restrictions this year and make it easier than ever for people to visit. Thailand and some countries need to change their approach on treating asymptomatic cases. I am suppose to come in March but defer it till July or September with hopes that they will abandon silly Day 5 and come up with rational approaches.
tai4de2 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 24, 22, 8:38 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

Depending on where you go after Thailand, you are likely to have to take such a test regardless.
Old Jan 24, 22, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
the final conditions for the new test & go seem now more clear:

beside full vaccination and preflight PCR, you need a confirmed booking of
1. day/night accommodation, transfer and PCR test
5. day/night accommodation and PCR test
in a SHA++ hotel

application possible from 1. February 0900 Thai time

whether insurance requirement is changed remains unclear
Old Jan 24, 22, 11:42 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
Two tests within as little as 24 hours, plus a third test on Day 5, for people who are "fully vaccinated" (lol) against a virus with a ~99.8% survival rate for healthy people under age 65 — i.e., almost everyone who would be flying halfway around the world to visit Thailand.

We live in deeply stupid times.
Old Jan 24, 22, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
Two tests within as little as 24 hours, plus a third test on Day 5,
pre departure test is within 72 hours before departure...many people take the test 2-3 days before departure plus traveling time, around 12 hours from Europe or in average 24 hours from the Americas...so probably for most people pre departure test and first test in Thailand are 48 - 84 hours apart...
Old Jan 24, 22, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
Under Test & Go, is it possible to "connect" on separate tickets via BKK without entering? e.g. We'd like to fly into BKK first with JAL, then take a local from BKK to PNH or REP immediately without entering the country. (And come back a week later and then enter Thailand). The main issue is that I can't find convenient tickets that fly directly to Cambodia.

Last edited by Martellus; Jan 24, 22 at 4:12 pm
Old Jan 24, 22, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
Under Test & Go, is it possible to "connect" on separate tickets via BKK without entering? e.g. We'd like to fly into BKK first with JAL, then take a local from BKK to PNH or REP immediately without entering the country
No, you can't do this. JAL will consider your trip to terminate in Thailand and require you to adhere to the conditions thereof. You will be denied boarding for your first JAL flight.
Old Jan 24, 22, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
Two tests within as little as 24 hours, plus a third test on Day 5, for people who are "fully vaccinated" (lol) against a virus with a ~99.8% survival rate for healthy people under age 65 — i.e., almost everyone who would be flying halfway around the world to visit Thailand.
When even Thai people who haven't seen their families in years and are nearly desperate to do so are shaking their heads at how ridiculous this is, and refusing to play: Houston We Have A Problem. (Note: that is not a theoretical statement in my personal family circumstances.)

It's breathtaking. I might feel better about it if it weren't just so obvious that the day 5 arrangement is there simply to be able to toss victims into covid jail more conveniently.
LETTERBOY, Kacee and js1993 like this.
Old Jan 24, 22, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post
No, you can't do this. JAL will consider your trip to terminate in Thailand and require you to adhere to the conditions thereof. You will be denied boarding for your first JAL flight.
I meant more on a BKK airport perspective. I would have everything in place for JAL for boarding (booked SHA+ hotel, itinerary, etc.), but I simply wouldn't actually go through Thai immigration when I arrive, and head straight for the transfer counters (assuming they're actually open?)
Old Jan 24, 22, 10:40 pm

Programs: Mucci - Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
I meant more on a BKK airport perspective. I would have everything in place for JAL for boarding (booked SHA+ hotel, itinerary, etc.), but I simply wouldn't actually go through Thai immigration when I arrive, and head straight for the transfer counters (assuming they're actually open?)
I am actually not sure if transfers are allowed yet, and if they are I would imagine single tickets would be a requirement.

But in case of attempting a transit solution like this, you do know that the hotel bookings are required to be non-refundable, right? Seems like a bit of a waste of money and effort just to transit. Also you would need to apply for ThailandPass twice
Old Jan 25, 22, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
I am actually not sure if transfers are allowed yet, and if they are I would imagine single tickets would be a requirement.

But in case of attempting a transit solution like this, you do know that the hotel bookings are required to be non-refundable, right? Seems like a bit of a waste of money and effort just to transit. Also you would need to apply for ThailandPass twice
there are still hotels, which require deposit only...and write "PAID" on your confirmation
Old Jan 25, 22, 2:34 am
formerly dav662

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S

in a SHA++ hotel

I plan to go to Krabi around the end of first week of February. For about 6 days. Is there any difference if I fly to BKK and then stay the one day in BKK and fly to Krabi on the 2nd day? Or your advice is to fly directly to Krabi?
I have got Covid and recovered from it and have the certificate of recovery. So probably may not need a PCR test or would I still need one? From what I saw in the requirements in Thailand they need a negative PCR test or a proof or certificate of recovery between 15 to 90 days.
Old Jan 25, 22, 5:43 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada

in a SHA++ hotel

Thanks for this....wish they open the TP system before Feb 1 - but it what it is.

One further question on how I count my days...I'm on a typical arrive from the US (via Japan) schedule which gets me to BKK at 23:35. So by the time I clear the airport it will be well into the next day (maybe 0200 I figure?). I know having read before that the logistics were that you had the confirmed airport pickup, and they take you to your 1st test site, then to hotel - and wait for test result.
But does it still work like that for late night arrivals? Are the test sites open 24 hrs? Or will they take me to hotel, then I go get tested in morning?

he SHA+ info I see for my hotel (GH Erawan) says "6-10 hr result if tested before 6 pm, 12-15 hr result if after 6 pm"
Assume my Day 1 is the day after my official arrival date - although what if plane arrives a bit early and they stamp me in before midnight?

Just trying to figure out what day will be day 5...also trying to see if hotel has any updated information as of yet.

Search this Thread