Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

What am I missing?? (Requirements for entry to Thailand)

Old Nov 24, 2021, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.

Hello All:

I am departing JAL 8005 from JFK through to BKK with 2 hour transit in a few days. I already have been approved for Thai entry and I am a USA passport holder. When the RT Covid test comes back negative, I think I am good to go? Am I missing something here? I have a strong suspicion that have missed some detail? Thanking everyone in advance. Safe travels to all! Cheers.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 6:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
Hello All:

I am departing JAL 8005 from JFK through to BKK with 2 hour transit in a few days. I already have been approved for Thai entry and I am a USA passport holder. When the RT Covid test comes back negative, I think I am good to go? Am I missing something here? I have a strong suspicion that have missed some detail? Thanking everyone in advance. Safe travels to all! Cheers.
The Thailand forum can provide you will more details on the current entry requirements, e.g. insurance coverage, SHA Plus hotel booking, etc

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
If you have your Thailand Pass approval and QR code already, I presume you already have sorted out the mandatory, pre-paid one-night SHA+ and Test&Go package as well as the required level of insurance cover. In such case, yes you are good to go (amazingly simple compared to many other countries nowadays, isn't it? )

Just make sure your negative test falls within the required 72 hour limit
BinSabai, NYCtraveler and seigex like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Indeed I do....I am very OCD

Thank you! I don't know why they bumped this to the Thai Forum. I just received my negative RT Covid test a few minutes ago (negative, thankfully), within my 72 hour window......and Yes, I have my Exemption from quarantine Thailand Pass, My SHA+ approved hotel with pickup and PCR tests etc. My concern was more getting through JAL check in at JFK. The JAL sight talks much about Nasopharyngeal swabs and many NYC certs did not have mention of this. When I called around many Dr's said "This is the standard procedure, What else what you use for an rt-PCR" , I finally found one who added this, but it took me a while. There is so much old information out there it is difficult to sort through and figure out what is being looked for Now. Thanks! Safe travels. NYC
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
Thank you! I don't know why they bumped this to the Thai Forum. I just received my negative RT Covid test a few minutes ago (negative, thankfully), within my 72 hour window......and Yes, I have my Exemption from quarantine Thailand Pass, My SHA+ approved hotel with pickup and PCR tests etc. My concern was more getting through JAL check in at JFK. The JAL sight talks much about Nasopharyngeal swabs and many NYC certs did not have mention of this. When I called around many Dr's said "This is the standard procedure, What else what you use for an rt-PCR" , I finally found one who added this, but it took me a while. There is so much old information out there it is difficult to sort through and figure out what is being looked for Now. Thanks! Safe travels. NYC
Good to hear! Being borderline OCD is nothing to be ashamed of - I am the same And I think it is warranted during these times.

For peace of mind, I would suggest bringing a print-out of all required documents for the check-in agents to see if required. I intend to do that for my upcoming flight out on Sunday (provided the PCR test comes back negative.....). Have a great trip!
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I see multiple references to "a negative RT-PCR (NAAT) test taken 72 hours before departing to Thailand", but I can't find anywhere that specifies whether this is the departure of your whole routing to Thailand, or 72 hours before the scheduled (or actual) departure of your individual flight segment landing in Thailand.

Can anyone link me to more specific details?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I see multiple references to "a negative RT-PCR (NAAT) test taken 72 hours before departing to Thailand", but I can't find anywhere that specifies whether this is the departure of your whole routing to Thailand, or 72 hours before the scheduled (or actual) departure of your individual flight segment landing in Thailand.

Can anyone link me to more specific details?
The 72-hour is calculated from collection time or report issued time to the first departing flight schedule time.

If it is a nonstop flight, that's very straightforward. It becomes more complicated with connection and the layover time. If the time runs out before the preceding flight to your final destination, you might not be able to get onboard.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Guyin
The 72-hour is calculated from collection time or report issued time to the first departing flight schedule time.

If it is a nonstop flight, that's very straightforward. It becomes more complicated with connection and the layover time. If the time runs out before the preceding flight to your final destination, you might not be able to get onboard.
Yeah, we've got a 16-hour flight to HKG, followed by a 10-hour layover, followed by a 2h45 flight to BKK.

Probably safest to treat it like the sample needs to be taken <72h before our HKG-BKK departure.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:10 am
bkm

Programs: BA LH AA
As I understand this, the 72 hrs is from the result of the test being received, not 72 hrs from when the test is taken, as per the chart at this page:

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-t...l-restrictions

So for my upcoming trip in January, all times local

LHR>HEL 10:40 - 15:00
HEL>BKK 16:50 - 07:40+1

So my test results must be issued within 72hrs of my 10:40am departure from LHR. Am I correct?
BinSabai likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bkm
As I understand this, the 72 hrs is from the result of the test being received, not 72 hrs from when the test is taken, as per the chart at this page:

So my test results must be issued within 72hrs of my 10:40am departure from LHR. Am I correct?
I don't think I can give you a firm answer. I have interpreted it as the test being done within 72 hours of the departure time i.e. if you depart 10:40am on a Saturday, the earliest you can do your test is 10:40am on a Wednesday. However, I note the wording on the website you linked and they say the source of the graphic is the MoFA.

But! On the Thai Embassy London website, it is worded four different ways!
https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/pu...ae4b236972c562

In the tables it says (my bolding):
Travellers are required to have negative RT-PCR test result tested within 72 hours before departure.

In the FAQ it says:
14. Do I need to submit my COVID-19 test result (RT-PCR) into Thailand Pass?
No. However, you must provide your COVID-19 test result (RT-PCR) issued within 72 hours before your travel to the officers at the airport

And in the colourful graphics towards the bottom it says:
Must get a COVID test (RT-PCR only) 72hrs. before departure and have a negative result.

And the graphic below that:
Get a COVID-19 RT-PCR test within 72 hours before departure with a negative result
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by bkm

correct, unless your airline (Finnair?) has different rules.
to avoid discussions at the airport, I let them made swaps for both my entries within 72 hours before first departure and got the results more than 36 hours before departure without paying express fee; so no stress at all...
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I think most have interpreted it as test taken within 72 hours. I know that's the rule here for a lot of international travel. I was recently at a Delta check in counter where a guy was trying to fly back to somewhere in Europe. Was denied boarding by DL because test fell outside the 72 hour time (literally by about 45 minutes). Delta agent was apologetic but said it's a CDC issue, not a Delta issue (not entirely true...it's based on country of arrival, not CDC). Just to be safe, I would test 72 hours prior to departure. Why risk being denied boarding because you took the test too early?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by bkm

As the test result could be issued within few hours to 72-hour, most country/airline will interpret it as testing (sample collection) within 72 hour (or 3 days) prior to departure.

An official report normally will indicate the collection time, lab received time and report issued time.

Some country/airline does take the report issued time and this is more favorable and to the advantage of the passenger, but the anxiety of waiting for the result could be torturing.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K
I thought the 72 hour PCR test time is measured from your first flight to Thailand, correct? So if I am flying SFO-NRT-BKK, I'd measure it off of SFO departure time. Does anyone know for sure?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by UALCASTRO
I thought the 72 hour PCR test time is measured from your first flight to Thailand, correct? So if I am flying SFO-NRT-BKK, I'd measure it off of SFO departure time. Does anyone know for sure?
Your understanding is correct. Its not just a "PCR" test. It must be an "RT-PCR" test. My documents were thoroughly inspected at PDX, SEA, ICN and BKK.
UALCASTRO likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.