Thailand opening up in November [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand opening up in November [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
My question remains, which other Asian countries are you seeing reopening at this level? I see none.
Poor decisionmaking by others does not excuse poor decisionmaking by the subject at hand.

Thailand is being "cautious" in ways that seem to be both illogical and self-defeating. It is not alone in that club, but that does not make it any wiser.

As posters stated above, other than those with "vested interest" in Thailand (like myself, and even I am not sure it is worth the hassle), it is unlikely Thailand will see any substantial inflow of tourists. To be blunt, they are overestimating their appeal by a very large margin. I am sure reality will, eventually, make itself understood.

(That said, I think a break from mass tourism, while bad for the Thai economy, is great for its natural environment)
Sjoerd, behuman, tai4de2 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 25, 2021 at 1:40 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:15 pm

What happens if you fail a PCR test on arrival?

Hi,

I’m considering flying directly into Phuket from the UK.

What happens if I fail a PCR test on arrival? Would I have to quarantine in an accredited hotel room?

Sorry, can’t seem to find this information anywhere.

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by goldwannabe
Hi,

What happens if I fail a PCR test on arrival? Would I have to quarantine in an accredited hotel room?

Thanks
I believe you are quarantined in a hospital for 10-14 days at your expense (hence the requirement for COVID insurance.)

In June, FTer goodeats21 posted about his experience when he tested positive:

"No confirmation at all. Once you have a positive test, they take you to hospital right away. And doctors have no discretion on releasing you prior to the 10 day quarantine. Ask me how I know...HAHA"

and

"Thankfully, my positive came on the Day 5 test, so really only added one day of overall quarantine. I would have been gutted if it came on day 12/13, which would have meant 23 days of quarantine in total.

And the importance of having local COVID insurance that covers non-symptomatic hospital quarantine cannot be overlooked. My hospital bill came to $4,000 USD, which my Thai insurance covered fully."

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai...l#post33353117

The American embassy in Thailand says:

"Thai public health regulations require that travelers who test positive for COVID-19 while in quarantine be transferred to a hospital for follow-up treatment and testing. Such individuals are required to remain in hospital until authorized for release by the public health authorities, often for at least ten days. Travelers are responsible for all expenses related to this hospitalization."

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...9-information/
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Hi,

Thanks
If you test positive on arrival, you will be transferred to a medical facility, likely a hospital, and will remain there for a minimum of 10 days. There is no "testing out" or other mechanism for release. If you are symptomatic, the stay may be longer.

It's one of the reasons they make you have COVID insurance...

Looks like Diplomatico and I posted about the same time. As (s)he indicated, I found myself in that exact situation and I posted about the experience at the time. You can read it here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33091203-post1140.html
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Saw this posted on Thai News twitter account. I don't think anything new, but a step-by-step overview of the new process.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:06 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I hope vaccinations continue to progress and at least a year from now, the requirements will be a lot lighter.

doesn’t help if you want to go to Thailand now or this winter but if you have to go now, you have to jump through some hoops.

or not.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:57 pm

Do you have to stay the 21 days in the same country without leaving or is it ok to visit different countries prior to entering Thailand, provided they are all part of the approved list? I'm reading mixed things online.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by alm0st
Do you have to stay the 21 days in the same country without leaving or is it ok to visit different countries prior to entering Thailand, provided they are all part of the approved list? I'm reading mixed things online.
it depends
tell us which countries you are talking about...
for example within Schengen area, you can visit so many countries as you want during the 21 days
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
it depends
tell us which countries you are talking about...
for example within Schengen area, you can visit so many countries as you want during the 21 days
Ok, so a US resident flies to Europe (one of the countries on the list), stays there a few days, then flies to Thailand. How will that work?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:23 am

Thanks for the replies.

I actually have two young children, so the thought of being moved to a hospital means going to Thailand is probably a no-goer. At least if it was hotel-quarantine, I could make an educated guess on the chances of having a positive PCR vs the quarantine.

I'm secretly hoping they change this by the time we want to fly (Jan). Surely the Thai government want to encourage the winter family tourists back into Thailand?
LETTERBOY and tr3k like this.

Last edited by goldwannabe; Oct 26, 2021 at 12:32 am
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tr3k
Ok, so a US resident flies to Europe (one of the countries on the list), stays there a few days, then flies to Thailand. How will that work?
I would ask the embassy from the country you would apply for the Thaipass...
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Just heard back from the hotel I've booked, that they're having an online meeting with TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand) on Wednesday (27th October) and they hope to get complete clarification of the interim arrangements then.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies.

I actually have two young children, so the thought of being moved to a hospital means going to Thailand is probably a no-goer. At least if it was hotel-quarantine, I could make an educated guess on the chances of having a positive PCR vs the quarantine.

I'm secretly hoping they change this by the time we want to fly (Jan). Surely the Thai government want to encourage the winter family tourists back into Thailand?
I think the only way this goes away is if they stop doing any mandatory testing once you have arrived. If you are compelled to take a test in Thailand for any reason and it comes back positive, a hospital stay is very, very likely.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Saw this posted on Thai News twitter account. I don't think anything new, but a step-by-step overview of the new process.

That ATK, is that being provided at the airport? Or at the 1-day quarantine hotel how does this work?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I imagine it will be provided by the hotel, as it will be the hotel that we will be paying for it, but hopefully a bit more clarification tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.