Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Thailand Feb 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMX CENT
Thoughts on Thailand Feb 2022

Wondering what everyone's thoughts were on booking Thailand in the middle of Feb 2022? Missing travel and have, like many, a number of trips that have been canceled.

Looking to travel into BKK then a week in Koh Samui and then a week in Krabi. From the Thailand opening plan, both those locations should be okay (we are all vaccinated) but BKK is not on the list.

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
I think the general consensus here is that things will change a million times by then and even though thai authorities have plans to open up slowly from July and then fully from october, well, you know what Tyson said about plans.

If you book anything make sure it is fully refundable or at least wait a few more months to see how things develop.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:34 pm

Book something refundable, but I'm booked for a trip to Thailand for Jan 2022. I expect it to be fully biz-as-usual by then, because they both want and need to reopen soon.
LETTERBOY and asnovici like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
I'll be interested in what your research finds as I have to be Koh Samui in November.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:15 pm

If the Phuket opening goes as planned (which is a very big if, but probably more of a when), I would anticipate Koh Samui to be not far behind. As for Bangkok, that is a different story, entirely. However, if vaccinated travelers prove to be of a minimal risk, I would anticipate late '21 at the earliest. Unfortunately, we will need to wait and watch for fallout from the current mess in India and Brazil before any widespread openings can be expected. Unfortunately, this story is still far removed from the final chapter, and the inevitable variants that will be spilling over from India could turn everything upside down, as they could easily swarm throughout SE Asia in a short period if left unchecked. Myanmar will certainly not be much of a buffer zone if it continues to be a war zone, as social distancing is not on anyone's mind over there right now, and borders will become porous with refugees.
SamirD and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
crystal ball gazing, fearmongering and irrational optimism dominate the discussion

I would wait at least until the end of Q3 to make a sustainable prediction
SKT-DK and DeepUnderground like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Deckter
I think the general consensus here is that things will change a million times by then and even though thai authorities have plans to open up slowly from July and then fully from october, well, you know what Tyson said about plans.

If you book anything make sure it is fully refundable or at least wait a few more months to see how things develop.
Why bother booking now? Just wait would be my advice.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:23 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Why bother booking now? Just wait would be my advice.
I'm not the OP, but alas, some people are restless and what to start making travel plans, which is fine as long as they choose an airline that has very flexible rebooking/cancellation conditions.

My advice would also be to wait a bit.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I think there will be a good chance that Samui will have quarantine-free entry by then - the island is doing quite well in terms of vaccinations with everyone in hospitality already done. Krabi could be more tricky and Bangkok itself is likely to have reasonably low vaccination rates even in February so I wouldn't expect to be open without a week in quarantine.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMX CENT
Thanks for the responses. Clearly, no one has a crystal ball, may just book completely cancellable/non-deposit hotels to secure and then wait to see what happens and book flights with flexible options.
We are just looking forward to traveling (like all of you) and just trying to sort out a destination that is (more) likely to happen.

Stay safe out there- wherever you are.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by alveoli0; Apr 21, 2021 at 4:44 pm
Old Apr 25, 2021, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
With the current surge in infections in Thailand I would wait at least a few weeks (if not months) to see how it plays out. It is likely that you will be enter Thailand if vaccinated by February 2022, but currently there is a significant risk that the plans to allow visitors to enter Thailand without quarantine will have to be postponed. Wait!
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not clear on why something needs to be booked now, ten months in advance?

Is there some benefit (cost/price, availability) to locking up your money now?

Maybe just pretend you made a booking?

I'd wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.