Reload this Page >

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global321
In an effort to consolidate the material information for entry into the Phuket Sandbox, the rules at present are:

Eligible travelers (both non-Thais and Thais)

A passport with at least six months validity.

A visa, if required. For U.S. citizens, no visa is required. A 45-day entry is granted on arrival.

Round-trip airline ticket to Phuket.

Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) or Ministry of Public Health of Thailand no less than 14 days before departure. Travelers must show proof of vaccination issued by a government authority. Children under the age of 18, traveling with parents, are eligible without proof of vaccination.

Must come from permitted countries/areas by the Thai Government to enter Phuket Sandbox (The U.S. is included) and travelers must have been in these eligible countries prior to travel for at least 21 consecutive days. A list of eligible countries can be found at: https://www.tatnews.org/wp-content/u...12.07.2021.jpg

Must have health insurance which covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with a minimum coverage of $100,000 USD.

Health Insurance Providers

https://covid19.tgia.org/

https://www.axa.co.th/en/

Certificate of Entry ("COE")

A COE must be obtained prior to entry into Thailand. Applications are submitted at https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ and require proof of the entry requirements listed above.

Airlines Offering Service to Phuket

No connections inside Thailand to Phuket allowed. Must fly non-stop into Phuket from an international destination.

El Al, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, and Thai Airways International (THAI) are offering flights.

Entry

A PCR test will be conducted at the airport.

You must have SHA+ transportation pre-booked from the airport to the SHA+ hotel. You must isolate in your room until the test results are obtained, which is being reported as approximately 7-hours after the sample is taken.

Once a negative test result is obtained, you are able to travel freely on the island of Phuket. The typical turn time for the first test is 6 to 8 hours.

Hotels

Must stay at a hotel that meets the “SHA+ (Safety and Health Administration Plus)” standard for at least 14 nights, unless travelers have proof of return tickets leaving Phuket (to another country) within 14 days.

Confirmation of “SHA+” hotel booking must be issued under the SHABA system (SHA Plus Booking Authentication system) or booking under http://entrythailand.go.th/

Must stay at the same hotel for at least the first 7 days and may change after that (the hotel must be on Phuket only)

After 14 nights, travelers may travel to other parts of Thailand. Departure earlier than 14 days is possible only for destinations outside of Thailand.

COVID-19 tests

Travelers must present RT-PCR negative test results issued no more than 72 hours before departure for Phuket.

Upon entry, travelers will have to undergo three COVID-19 tests during their 14-night stay in Phuket (travelers must provide receipt of COVID test appointment and payment from your hotel to apply for the COE).

Tracking application

Travelers must install and use a tracking application as prescribed by the Thai Government throughout their 14 days in Phuket, otherwise they may not be allowed to leave Phuket to other parts of Thailand after these 14 days. A local sim card can be obtained at the airport, but you must bring a sim unlocked smartphone.

Apps are Thailand Plus and Mor Chana. Only the Mor Chana app will be checked and verified installed at the Phuket airport.

Travel to Other Parts of Thailand

Allowed after 14-nights is spent in Phuket.

N.B.

Rules can change with little or no notice.

If you test positive for COVID on arrival, you will be hospitalized for 14-days.

If you arrive on an airplane and anyone close to you on the plane tests positive for COVID, you will be quarantined for 14-days at your own expense. Close has been reported as same row and/or two rows before or behind the infected person.

Masks are required when outdoors, including at the swimming pool and on the beach. Masks are not required while swimming.

Print Wikipost

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2021, 5:49 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee

Thailand has become a four that thinks it's a ten. These usually wind up sitting alone on the barstool until closing.
Unfortunately, Thailand has a lot going for it these days as a travel destination. For my friends in China, it is one of their most pragmatic international travel options.

Btw I agree Thailand isn't a 10 but it settles somewhere closer to a 6 for me lol
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Unfortunately, Thailand has a lot going for it these days as a travel destination. For my friends in China, it is one of their most pragmatic international travel options.

Btw I agree Thailand isn't a 10 but it settles somewhere closer to a 6 for me lol
Irrespective of Thailand's hotness score (I happen to think it is very high), the issue is that the country is dolled up to attract only the guys too drunk and unpicky to go after any old number (ex-China). I'm pretty sure a large number of Thailand's usual Western tourists couldn't read or write well enough to fill in the paperwork required at the minute.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

With all the Covid restrictions and the way they are constantly changing, with virtually no warning and always lots of uncertainty, I'd rate it considerably lower. We were there for 4 weeks in May and are not interested in returning until there's some semblance of a return to normalcy.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 11:54 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
With all the Covid restrictions and the way they are constantly changing, with virtually no warning and always lots of uncertainty, I'd rate it considerably lower. We were there for 4 weeks in May and are not interested in returning until there's some semblance of a return to normalcy.
I think you got unlucky. I was in Thailand from February to May and it was pretty great. End of April and early May got annoying with all of the government restrictions and lockdowns. Compared to the US at the time (except for Miami which stopped caring about COVID in 2020 lol), early 2021 Thailand was a dream.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

early 2021 Thailand was a dream.

Yes, we call those "the good old days".
Old Jul 18, 2021, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think this may be for domestic tourists.

Only jabbed, Covid-free people can enter Phuket, authorities say

Phuket authorities announced on Monday that only people who have been vaccinated at least two weeks prior will be allowed to enter the province.

The order specified that those who have received their first dose of AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson vaccine can enter the province. However, recipients of Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccines should have received both their jabs.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003442

Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Phuket introduces measures after reporting increased Covid-19 cases

Phuket will increase Covid restriction measures, the province announced on Monday, to curb increasing Covid-19 cases.

In an order signed by Phuket’s governor, Narong Woonsew, the province will close down more at-risk businesses to stop the spread of coronavirus on the island.

Phuket reported 11 new Covid cases on Sunday compared to two cases on July 12.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30087/p...ovid-19-cases/
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by transpac
Yes, we call those "the good old days".
Beautiful sunny days for the last 8 days. Beaches are clear, clean and quite lovely. Mostly empty. These are the days.

Originally Posted by transpac
Phuket introduces measures after reporting increased Covid-19 cases

Phuket will increase Covid restriction measures, the province announced on Monday, to curb increasing Covid-19 cases.

In an order signed by Phuket’s governor, Narong Woonsew, the province will close down more at-risk businesses to stop the spread of coronavirus on the island.

Phuket reported 11 new Covid cases on Sunday compared to two cases on July 12.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30087/p...ovid-19-cases/
No practicle changes for the Sandbox. Bar restaurants still serving alcohol until 11.
  • The sandbox folks reported zero cases yesterday (Sunday the 18th). Maybe the locals in Phuket reported 11?
  • Sixteen fully vaccinated tourists have tested positive for Covid in the Phuket Sandbox so far. Seven tested positive on arrival, one on the third day, seven a week in, and one 13 days after landing.
  • Yesterday... 18th July, 915 international travellers arrived on six flights bringing the total to 8,377.

#phuketsandbox
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:56 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I was able to get my COE after 5 business days, with just a few hours to spare. I had to use some polite begging and it was stressful. I definitely wouldn't cut it so close if I had to do it again. As I mentioned before, you should "pre-apply" for "pre-approval" well before your travel bookings are firm. Once you get pre-approval, you have something like 15 days to submit your travel plans (they have an ominous counter ticking down). There were a lot of other little things that I misunderstood.
The website I was looking at said we would need the ThailandPlus app. That's not right - they want Morchana only. When I arrived it was stressful because I initially couldn't get the app to load and they wouldn't let me move to the next stage without it. Obviously it's wise to load it before your trip.
I was thinking we'd need to do a test on arrival then 3 more. Apparently, it's a test on arrival then two more (plus, of course, one before the trip and probably also one when it's time to come home).
I was sure that some website said we could wander around the resort while waiting for the test result. Nope. Don't leave the room. They wouldn't even give me a key. Still waiting in the room 8 hours later. Wouldn't be too bad if you arrive at night, but if you arrive in the day it's going to be a wasted day. They say it will take no more than 12 hours.
There's also a requirement to check in with the hotel front desk every 24 hours, but never more than 24 hours apart. "Should you fail to scan the QR code in the hotel for a 24-hour period, the hotel is responsible to report to the police." Don't go outside and forget.
They also make it clear that you must stay in the hotel "overnight" (however that is defined), or they will contact the police.
On the positive side, they had plentiful airport staff and they were efficient and friendly. It took me only about 30 minutes to get through all the stages (gate queuing, single-file marching, plastic-chair document sorting, document verification, immigration, baggage claim, scary-long-swab covid testing). Of course, it could take much longer if the flights are full and you get a bit unlucky.
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by BigE; Jul 19, 2021 at 4:01 am
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:18 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
still no news that they will allow transit for Phuket sandbox?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by Global321
Beautiful sunny days for the last 8 days. Beaches are clear, clean and quite lovely. Mostly empty. These are the days.

No practicle changes for the Sandbox. Bar restaurants still serving alcohol until 11.
  • The sandbox folks reported zero cases yesterday (Sunday the 18th). Maybe the locals in Phuket reported 11?
  • Sixteen fully vaccinated tourists have tested positive for Covid in the Phuket Sandbox so far. Seven tested positive on arrival, one on the third day, seven a week in, and one 13 days after landing.
  • Yesterday... 18th July, 915 international travellers arrived on six flights bringing the total to 8,377.
Aren't these numbers pretty close to the false positive rate for the tests? Let's assume that 7462 have taken one test, 3000 have taken two tests, and 1000 have taken 3 tests. That's 16 positives in 11462 tests, for a positive rate of 0.15%. That's lower than the false positive rate of the test, which I've heard is between .2% and 1.0%. In other words, almost all of the 16 positives could be false positives.

A possible flaw in this reasoning is that, as someone noted above, they might be double-checking all positives and then not counting them as a positive if not confirmed by the follow-up. That would reduce the false positive rate to near zero (e.g., .01 x .01 = .0001, which is only 0.01%), assuming the two tests are independent.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
Do you mean transit from international countries to Phuket through Bangkok? Maybe they don't want the complication of having to sort the Bangkok-arriving passengers and then also enforcing sandbox only connecting flights.

When I was looking, there just weren't that many options for flying directly to Phuket, but that should change.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
For now they just announced that domestic flights in and out of BKK and DMK would be suspended as part of the latest restriction on movement, so I would expect any progress made on this to be back to square one now..
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:27 am

Transit in - no.
Transit out - maybe. They are working on a HKT to BKK sealed international route. However, the airlines are apparently balking at the empty planes to HKT.

Originally Posted by BigE
Aren't these numbers pretty close to the false positive rate for the tests? Let's assume that 7462 have taken one test, 3000 have taken two tests, and 1000 have taken 3 tests. That's 16 positives in 11462 tests, for a positive rate of 0.15%. That's lower than the false positive rate of the test, which I've heard is between .2% and 1.0%. In other words, almost all of the 16 positives could be false positives.

A possible flaw in this reasoning is that, as someone noted above, they might be double-checking all positives and then not counting them as a positive if not confirmed by the follow-up. That would reduce the false positive rate to near zero (e.g., .01 x .01 = .0001, which is only 0.01%), assuming the two tests are independent.
They are performing a second test at the hospital. AFAIK all have remained positive.

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
For now they just announced that domestic flights in and out of BKK and DMK would be suspended as part of the latest restriction on movement, so I would expect any progress made on this to be back to square one now..
Not entirely accurate. Sandbox flights are allowed. Whether any airlines choose to fly the route with empty planes one way is a different story.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Global321
Not entirely accurate. Sandbox flights are allowed. Whether any airlines choose to fly the route with empty planes one way is a different story.
Well I guess it is as ambiguous as ever, but:
Dr Taweesilp confirmed the announcement of the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand that domestic flights out of Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airport would stop from Wednesday.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ovinces-curbed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.