Reload this Page >

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global321
In an effort to consolidate the material information for entry into the Phuket Sandbox, the rules at present are:

Eligible travelers (both non-Thais and Thais)

A passport with at least six months validity.

A visa, if required. For U.S. citizens, no visa is required. A 45-day entry is granted on arrival.

Round-trip airline ticket to Phuket.

Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) or Ministry of Public Health of Thailand no less than 14 days before departure. Travelers must show proof of vaccination issued by a government authority. Children under the age of 18, traveling with parents, are eligible without proof of vaccination.

Must come from permitted countries/areas by the Thai Government to enter Phuket Sandbox (The U.S. is included) and travelers must have been in these eligible countries prior to travel for at least 21 consecutive days. A list of eligible countries can be found at: https://www.tatnews.org/wp-content/u...12.07.2021.jpg

Must have health insurance which covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with a minimum coverage of $100,000 USD.

Health Insurance Providers

https://covid19.tgia.org/

https://www.axa.co.th/en/

Certificate of Entry ("COE")

A COE must be obtained prior to entry into Thailand. Applications are submitted at https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ and require proof of the entry requirements listed above.

Airlines Offering Service to Phuket

No connections inside Thailand to Phuket allowed. Must fly non-stop into Phuket from an international destination.

El Al, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, and Thai Airways International (THAI) are offering flights.

Entry

A PCR test will be conducted at the airport.

You must have SHA+ transportation pre-booked from the airport to the SHA+ hotel. You must isolate in your room until the test results are obtained, which is being reported as approximately 7-hours after the sample is taken.

Once a negative test result is obtained, you are able to travel freely on the island of Phuket. The typical turn time for the first test is 6 to 8 hours.

Hotels

Must stay at a hotel that meets the “SHA+ (Safety and Health Administration Plus)” standard for at least 14 nights, unless travelers have proof of return tickets leaving Phuket (to another country) within 14 days.

Confirmation of “SHA+” hotel booking must be issued under the SHABA system (SHA Plus Booking Authentication system) or booking under http://entrythailand.go.th/

Must stay at the same hotel for at least the first 7 days and may change after that (the hotel must be on Phuket only)

After 14 nights, travelers may travel to other parts of Thailand. Departure earlier than 14 days is possible only for destinations outside of Thailand.

COVID-19 tests

Travelers must present RT-PCR negative test results issued no more than 72 hours before departure for Phuket.

Upon entry, travelers will have to undergo three COVID-19 tests during their 14-night stay in Phuket (travelers must provide receipt of COVID test appointment and payment from your hotel to apply for the COE).

Tracking application

Travelers must install and use a tracking application as prescribed by the Thai Government throughout their 14 days in Phuket, otherwise they may not be allowed to leave Phuket to other parts of Thailand after these 14 days. A local sim card can be obtained at the airport, but you must bring a sim unlocked smartphone.

Apps are Thailand Plus and Mor Chana. Only the Mor Chana app will be checked and verified installed at the Phuket airport.

Travel to Other Parts of Thailand

Allowed after 14-nights is spent in Phuket.

N.B.

Rules can change with little or no notice.

If you test positive for COVID on arrival, you will be hospitalized for 14-days.

If you arrive on an airplane and anyone close to you on the plane tests positive for COVID, you will be quarantined for 14-days at your own expense. Close has been reported as same row and/or two rows before or behind the infected person.

Masks are required when outdoors, including at the swimming pool and on the beach. Masks are not required while swimming.

Print Wikipost

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TPJ
If Thailand really wants these tourists to travel to HKT, they cannot make it too complicated.
I am of the opinion that, while the Thai government wants to make it appear to the populace that they are trying to re-open, they really don't want anyone to come.
LIH Prem and estnet like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I am of the opinion that, while the Thai government wants to make it appear to the populace that they are trying to re-open, they really don't want anyone to come.
Right .. they want to just dip their toe in the water, but not really too far.

-David
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA
Does this mean that the Sandbox plan is now close to 100% official? https://www.tatnews.org/2021/06/thai...KhBHBDTBtlAuK8

Even so, I don't think we can start booking yet because I haven't seen a list of SHA hotels.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:45 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
The TAT published an update after Friday's review.
Tatnews 18Jun

What I found interesting:
- unvaccinated Children from 6 to 18 are now out. (They were so far consistently mentioned as allowed in with vaccinated parents.)
- no word or update about getting there via BKK.
- testing is now 1 PCR test within 72h before departure / 1 PCR test on arrival / 1 more PCR test at a time which the TAT did not specify.
- New and different rules (vs Phuket) now published for Koh Samui

Not sure if the mentioned infection rate of 20-30 per day has anything to do with Phuket (and would potentially stop the sandbox or not), or if this is meant in connection with the general 120 day opening plan.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:08 am

Programs: UA
It seems like this sandbox scheme is primed for failure and frustration. I'm not convinced that the Chinese vaccines are very effective The clinical data were so-so and mixed. And countries that have primarily used the Chinese vaccines aren't doing so great Here's a link to a Forbes article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberth...h=eabd8d11444b Meanwhile, countries with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines are doing great. Same for AZ.

If the Sinovac vaccine isn't working well, and there is a lockdown trigger if the cases exceed 90/week....

I suppose the worst case scenarios are...
(1) you go to a lot of trouble to make plans, then your COE is cancelled at the last minute. You've wasted a lot of time and now you have to fight to get refunds (nothing is guaranteed).
(2) you make the trip, but you're not allowed to leave the hotel.
(3) you make the trip, but test positive for COVID (because many locals have it), and then get stuck in a hospital or tent (despite having no symptoms).
?
LoungeLizzard and Global321 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by skyflyer99
Does this mean that the Sandbox plan is now close to 100% official? https://www.tatnews.org/2021/06/thai...KhBHBDTBtlAuK8

Even so, I don't think we can start booking yet because I haven't seen a list of SHA hotels.
SHA+ hotels are easy to find.
For example this site which seems to link to Agoda for the reservation.
I have no idea if this site is as official as it looks, but it does seem to have up to date info on the FAQ page.

I would still not even dream of booking anything now. The speed and magnitude of changes is far too big for me to rely on what is currently published by the TAT.

Last edited by LoungeLizzard; Jun 19, 2021 at 4:22 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:15 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS) TK Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
The TAT published an update after Friday's review.
Tatnews 18Jun

What I found interesting:
- unvaccinated Children from 6 to 18 are now out. (They were so far consistently mentioned as allowed in with vaccinated parents.)
- no word or update about getting there via BKK.
- testing is now 1 PCR test within 72h before departure / 1 PCR test on arrival / 1 more PCR test at a time which the TAT did not specify.
- New and different rules (vs Phuket) now published for Koh Samui

Not sure if the mentioned infection rate of 20-30 per day has anything to do with Phuket (and would potentially stop the sandbox or not), or if this is meant in connection with the general 120 day opening plan.

I read the TAT article and I think that as long as the on arrival PCR-test (then going to some specified hotel waiting for test answer), insurance policy and applying for some type entry paper online, this Sandbox thing won´t be any kind of success. Too many steps, too many things that might go wrong and with many other options around for tourists to choose from I don´t think for a second that this will draw any crowds, sadly.
Fully vaccinated and pre departure negative test is the maximum the "common" tourist is willing to do I think. The sooner Thai officials understand that, the sooner they will actually start making money on tourism again, if that is what they aim for.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:22 am

...and then, there's the problem with the Oil Spill
estnet likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:47 pm

I have no idea if this site is as official as it looks, but it does seem to have up to date info on the FAQ page.
Reposting the official (TAT) SHA+ website (See post 125, upthread)

https://www.thailandsha.com/shalists...ince=83-Phuket

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jun 19, 2021 at 10:54 pm
Old Jun 20, 2021, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I really want to get back to Thailand this fall, but the 3 in-country COVID tests are still the limiting factor for me, especially with the prospect of "field hospitals" being mentioned in Phuket.

I would likely do the Bangkok ASQ scheme instead of risking it, but not sure I am up for either again. Another pointless 10-day hospital stay is a strong deterrent. Especially if it comes at the end of the 14 day quarantine.
estnet likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I really want to get back to Thailand this fall, but the 3 in-country COVID tests are still the limiting factor for me, especially with the prospect of "field hospitals" being mentioned in Phuket.

I would likely do the Bangkok ASQ scheme instead of risking it, but not sure I am up for either again. Another pointless 10-day hospital stay is a strong deterrent. Especially if it comes at the end of the 14 day quarantine.
Similar situation here. I'd really like to go to Thailand, but the options to do that are getting worse, not better.
- They killed Phuket for me because they took away the option that unvaccinated children can enter - and there is no way here to have them vaccinated.
- Bangkok ASQ rules are currently 14 or 15 nights (depending on arrival time), and they also include 3 PCR tests. (Now on day 2, 7 and 12).
The Bangkok ASQ hotel & their hospital partner where I asked could not guarantee a space in the proper hospital in case of a positive test without symptoms, so the possibility of ending up in a field hospital exists also in Bangkok.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Similar situation here. I'd really like to go to Thailand, but the options to do that are getting worse, not better.
- They killed Phuket for me because they took away the option that unvaccinated children can enter - and there is no way here to have them vaccinated.
- Bangkok ASQ rules are currently 14 or 15 nights (depending on arrival time), and they also include 3 PCR tests. (Now on day 2, 7 and 12).
The Bangkok ASQ hotel & their hospital partner where I asked could not guarantee a space in the proper hospital in case of a positive test without symptoms, so the possibility of ending up in a field hospital exists also in Bangkok.
Ah, thanks for mentioning this. I hadn't heard Bangkok was doing the field hospital thing as well. If I decide to keep looking, this is definitely something for me to check before confirming plans. I did the Bangkok ASQ thing once before, including a positive test (false positive) at day 5 with 10 day hospital stay.

I am OK with 14 day ASQ. Even better with 14 days to roam Phuket.
The uncertainty of test results and impacts is what is stopping me from coming back.
estnet and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Can you tell me any example of a foreigner with insurance and money ending up in a field hospital?
Those who know the private hospital industry in Thailand, know, that this will simply NOT happen! so nothing to worry about...
Always Flyin and SKT-DK like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I did the Bangkok ASQ thing once before, including a positive test (false positive) at day 5 with 10 day hospital stay.
Not starting another off topic discussion about PCR tests, but probably you should say, that you assume the test was false positive or the test was presumably false positive. The only way to prove it was false positive would be to do one or several other tests and that was not done...
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
Not starting another off topic discussion about PCR tests, but probably you should say, that you assume the test was false positive or the test was presumably false positive. The only way to prove it was false positive would be to do one or several other tests and that was not done...
Semantics, I guess. I had blood work done while at the Thai hospital that showed high level of anti-bodies. I had confirmed COVID (with symptoms) 3 months prior.
If not a false positive, very unusual set of circumstances...

The lack of any discretion by medical staff is also a troubling facet. Once a positive test, you are in some type of hospital for 10 days.
estnet likes this.

Last edited by goodeats21; Jun 20, 2021 at 9:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.