Reload this Page >

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global321
In an effort to consolidate the material information for entry into the Phuket Sandbox, the rules at present are:

Eligible travelers (both non-Thais and Thais)

A passport with at least six months validity.

A visa, if required. For U.S. citizens, no visa is required. A 45-day entry is granted on arrival.

Round-trip airline ticket to Phuket.

Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) or Ministry of Public Health of Thailand no less than 14 days before departure. Travelers must show proof of vaccination issued by a government authority. Children under the age of 18, traveling with parents, are eligible without proof of vaccination.

Must come from permitted countries/areas by the Thai Government to enter Phuket Sandbox (The U.S. is included) and travelers must have been in these eligible countries prior to travel for at least 21 consecutive days. A list of eligible countries can be found at: https://www.tatnews.org/wp-content/u...12.07.2021.jpg

Must have health insurance which covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with a minimum coverage of $100,000 USD.

Health Insurance Providers

https://covid19.tgia.org/

https://www.axa.co.th/en/

Certificate of Entry ("COE")

A COE must be obtained prior to entry into Thailand. Applications are submitted at https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ and require proof of the entry requirements listed above.

Airlines Offering Service to Phuket

No connections inside Thailand to Phuket allowed. Must fly non-stop into Phuket from an international destination.

El Al, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, and Thai Airways International (THAI) are offering flights.

Entry

A PCR test will be conducted at the airport.

You must have SHA+ transportation pre-booked from the airport to the SHA+ hotel. You must isolate in your room until the test results are obtained, which is being reported as approximately 7-hours after the sample is taken.

Once a negative test result is obtained, you are able to travel freely on the island of Phuket. The typical turn time for the first test is 6 to 8 hours.

Hotels

Must stay at a hotel that meets the “SHA+ (Safety and Health Administration Plus)” standard for at least 14 nights, unless travelers have proof of return tickets leaving Phuket (to another country) within 14 days.

Confirmation of “SHA+” hotel booking must be issued under the SHABA system (SHA Plus Booking Authentication system) or booking under http://entrythailand.go.th/

Must stay at the same hotel for at least the first 7 days and may change after that (the hotel must be on Phuket only)

After 14 nights, travelers may travel to other parts of Thailand. Departure earlier than 14 days is possible only for destinations outside of Thailand.

COVID-19 tests

Travelers must present RT-PCR negative test results issued no more than 72 hours before departure for Phuket.

Upon entry, travelers will have to undergo three COVID-19 tests during their 14-night stay in Phuket (travelers must provide receipt of COVID test appointment and payment from your hotel to apply for the COE).

Tracking application

Travelers must install and use a tracking application as prescribed by the Thai Government throughout their 14 days in Phuket, otherwise they may not be allowed to leave Phuket to other parts of Thailand after these 14 days. A local sim card can be obtained at the airport, but you must bring a sim unlocked smartphone.

Apps are Thailand Plus and Mor Chana. Only the Mor Chana app will be checked and verified installed at the Phuket airport.

Travel to Other Parts of Thailand

Allowed after 14-nights is spent in Phuket.

N.B.

Rules can change with little or no notice.

If you test positive for COVID on arrival, you will be hospitalized for 14-days.

If you arrive on an airplane and anyone close to you on the plane tests positive for COVID, you will be quarantined for 14-days at your own expense. Close has been reported as same row and/or two rows before or behind the infected person.

Masks are required when outdoors, including at the swimming pool and on the beach. Masks are not required while swimming.

Print Wikipost

Phuket Sandbox 2021/2022

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
Yeah I saw that article in the Bangkok Post this morning. It kind of implies that under a revised sandbox scheme they will only be allowing in double vaccinated tourists happy to book an overpriced package in return for avoiding the need to quarantine.

I've made a refundable booking on a hotel in Kata, but haven't booked flights yet because there is zero clarity yet about getting into Phuket in July without the need for quarantine, or getting back to the UK without needing to self-isolate or even undergo hotel quarantine (if flying with Qatar or Emirates). I'd put my chances of making the trip at about 10% currently.
what's the hotel rate in Kata? full board?
currently there is also an alcohol serving ban in all hotels and restaurants in Thailand
Old May 13, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
150'000 - 200'000 THB tour package?! I am fully ready to head to Phuket in July, but not if I'm forced to buy some ridiculous tour package. They're delusional if they think they'll get 30-40k tourists per month at that price point.
Old May 13, 2021, 6:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by BinSabai
currently there is also an alcohol serving ban in all hotels and restaurants in Thailand
The alcohol ban is in all restaurants (bars are closed anyways). Hotels can serve alcohol as room service.
Old May 13, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by justforfun
150'000 - 200'000 THB tour package?! I am fully ready to head to Phuket in July, but not if I'm forced to buy some ridiculous tour package. They're delusional if they think they'll get 30-40k tourists per month at that price point.
Agreed. I am looking to go in Phuket. I won’t go if I have to be on a package tour full stop (I despise them) let alone that ridiculous price! One of the attractions of Phuket is how affordable it is. If people are spending that money they may as well go to more beautiful places in Caribbean etc.

Also I want to book business on a cheap revenue fare or using miles.. not be forced to pay some extortionate business class surcharge on a package deal.

Looks like they are trying to treat this as a big money making exercise to help with covid debts rather than thinking of the big picture/long term regrowth of the tourism sector
Old May 13, 2021, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I've booked The Boathouse, which used to be owned, I think, by Mom Tri's Villa Royale, but no longer. The B&B rate for one of the better rooms with full sea view was about £150 per night with a free dinner one night thrown in.

I can't imagine that Phuket will be opening up to vaccinated tourists if things are still such that they have an alcohol ban in restaurants, so I don't see that as an additional potential downside.
GalaxyChris and BinSabai like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Originally Posted by justforfun
Yep, but with the current government in Thailand delusion is a frequently achieved state of mind.

The Phuket sandbox opening in July will probably be revised numerous times before July 1st and I suspect that if it does ever get off the ground, it will not be on the basis of all inclusive packages, but ....
Old May 13, 2021, 1:43 pm

It's getting over the top in Phuket. Today the Phuket Gov announced a ban on having even one friend over for food or a drink and possible deportation for any foreigner breaching these rules.

This comes after 6 westerners/Brits received a 6000 fine each a few days ago for having drinks together outside at a private residence after someone called the police.

For context, Phuket had 19 new cases yesterday.
Old May 13, 2021, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The alcohol ban is in all restaurants (bars are closed anyways). Hotels can serve alcohol as room service.
some do, some don't...

I certainly would not pay 150'000-200'000 THB for 7 days to only dine in my room...
Old May 13, 2021, 11:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
some do, some don't...

I certainly would not pay 150'000-200'000 THB for 7 days to only dine in my room...
Of course not every hotel has alcohol for room service (they never did), but none are banned because of a Covid law. There's no need to over-complicate things.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:33 am

Of course not every hotel has alcohol for room service (they never did), but none are banned because of a Covid law. There's no need to over-complicate things.
but as a matter of fact, you can't drink in the hotel restaurant (not in whole Thailand)...and in the room you can either drink from room service or buy it from a supermarket or convenience store nearby, so my statement is correct...
SKT-DK likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
I've made a refundable booking on a hotel in Kata, but haven't booked flights yet because there is zero clarity yet about getting into Phuket in July without the need for quarantine
And that is likely to remain the case. The rules change all the time, and what's worse, no one can get any clarity on what they actually are until they've already been implemented.

We were planning on flying to Phuket today (changed plans for other reasons), and the lack of certainty as to whether the rules would change for foreigners inbound from Bangkok effective May14, or May 15, and if so, how, was just unbelievable.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The alcohol ban is in all restaurants (bars are closed anyways).
Thailand blocks alcohol sales every time someone blinks. No alcohol sales on Buddhist holidays; none on election day; and now it somehow helps with depressing COVID.

The government is full of a bunch of teetotalers.

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
Phuket had 19 new cases yesterday.
I think you mean the government, that controls the release of all COVID data, reported 19 new cases yesterday.

Let's just say the government's release of information utterly lacks credibility.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Thailand blocks alcohol sales every time someone blinks. No alcohol sales on Buddhist holidays; none on election day; and now it somehow helps with depressing COVID.

The government is full of a bunch of teetotalers.
there are not few politicians and influential people from the conservative wing, who would prefer complete prohibition in Thailand.

but 3 out of the 6 most rich people in Thailand gain their wealth from alcohol...so this creates a natural balance
Always Flyin and Kacee like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flight passengers to Phuket without documents to be refused boarding

The directive was issued by the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) just before 8pm last night.

The directive came into effect today (May 19).

“Airline passengers will be refused travel to Phuket if their vaccination is incomplete or they do not have a test document for COVID-19,” the directive said.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/flight...ding-80056.php
Old May 19, 2021, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flip-flop in matter of hours...who can keep up.

OK to go self-quarantine.

NNT- National News Bureau of Thailand

Phuket has announced it will ease travel restrictions and allow visitors, who have not received COVID-19 vaccines, to enter the province by land.
Deputy provincial governor Piyapong Chuwong said the provincial communicable diseases committee agreed to allow travelers, who have yet to receive two vaccine doses or who have a COVID-19-free test certificate, to visit Phuket by land. However, they will still have to comply with self-quarantine measures for 14 days or throughout the period of their stay in Phuket, whichever is the shorter.
Meanwhile, travelers who enter the province by air still need to register their arrival via the "www.gophuket.com" website and on the Mor Chana mobile application, to show evidence of COVID-19 vaccination or a Rapid Antigen test (RT-PCR) within 72 hours prior to arriving in Phuket.
In order to enter Phuket without a vaccine certificate or a COVID-19 test result, travelers will have to be quarantined and disease control officers will issue a so-called “quarantine ticket” and submit it to the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) to oversee the quarantine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.