Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: exp
Thailand Reopening: Exemption from Quarantine (TEST & GO)

Required Documents:

• A Certificate of Vaccination (fully vaccinated) with an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Those previously infected within 3 months must have received 1 dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Travelers under 12 years of age, travelling with parents or guardians, are exempt from the vaccination requirement.
  • A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling (all travelers).
  • A confirmed payment for a 1-night stay at SHA+, AQ, OQ, or AHQ accommodation, and 1 RT-PCR test.
  • An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$50,000.
https://tp.consular.go.th/

Properties for day-one quarantine: https://asq.in.th/asq-bangkok-thaila...ctedItem=1+Day

TG's "rules"/form
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ne...e-covid19.page

Form for health cert.
https://www.thaiairways.com/static/c...ificate_TG.jpg

Thai inbound covid insurance comparison site:

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Thanks to transpac

Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2020, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by transpac
Meh. <snip>
Agreed, just the post I quoted seemed to be unaware of this development.
Old May 31, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DELee
Wow. Sounds like a royal pain.
David
Whilst I am certain it is a cumbersome procedure (as paperwork and permissions usually are) I would suggest bringing yourself in potential lese majeste issues is to be avoided Even if his royalness is cycling around in Germany.
DELee likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I have business reasons for wanting to go sometime September/Octoberish, but I couldn't do the 14 days if it came to that. The U.S. could be a real black-sheep country for trying to go to many countries. Proving I'm not infected may be a part of it but a mechanism may not be in place by then, and if there's any screening-on-arrival then airlines could want to push it to before departure to avoid having to bring the person back as they'd be obligated to. There's also the possibility of a second wave that could just mess everything up. I wish I could be more optimistic.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by RustyC
I have business reasons for wanting to go sometime September/Octoberish, but I couldn't do the 14 days if it came to that. The U.S. could be a real black-sheep country for trying to go to many countries. Proving I'm not infected may be a part of it but a mechanism may not be in place by then, and if there's any screening-on-arrival then airlines could want to push it to before departure to avoid having to bring the person back as they'd be obligated to. There's also the possibility of a second wave that could just mess everything up. I wish I could be more optimistic.
Probably a good idea to figure out how you can achieve your business outcome without traveling physically. Maybe find someone already in country to help you complete whatever business you have or see how it can be accomplished remotely. Singapore is exploring a travel bubble which will start with essential business travel between 6 provinces in China and Singapore. They are exploring some additional countries as well. Thailand is not on the list. Between corporate and Singapore restrictions, assume I won't be able to travel to Thailand for business the rest of the year, and I can only hope that leisure travel to Thailand for those of us living in Singapore resumes after Songkran next year.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by RustyC
If you are working with a Thai business, you can get a waiver for quarantine on arrival. I am being recruited to go and do a job in late July and my way has been officially cleared. I already have airline tickets, a visa and a contract, but I am leaning against going because of the Thailand residents here warning me about the likely continued closure of the tourist infrastructure (i.e. nice resorts and restaurants).
Old Jun 2, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
If you are working with a Thai business, you can get a waiver for quarantine on arrival.
While anything is possible, especially if you are some sort of VIP, I have not heard of anyone (other than Royalty obviously, and friends of the "government") being granted a waiver for quarantine.

Thousands of Thais, including champion PGA and LPGA golfers, being re-patriated need to go into quarantine. Hundreds have arrived just in the last two days.

Exempting foreigners and VIPs from quarantine might not go over so well with the regular folks?

Can you share what type of visa you obtained? And did you have to purchase insurance? And what does this "waiver of quarantine" look like?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:27 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Order extended untl June 30th!

Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Order extended untl June 30th!

FYI - That came from Bangkok Governor. I don't think that has applicability across all of Thailand.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:14 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Where is there bull fighting and fish fighting in BKK or Thailand?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I was wondering the same thing. According to Barrow's twitter post, there is some bullfighting in the South of Thailand.
Curious that it is listed as a prohibition in Bangkok.

No idea on the Fish Fighting arenas.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:44 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by yosithezet
That goes into "Only in Thailand" files ... I think they were referring to Crocodile farms and such and confusing them with fish!

Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I was wondering the same thing. According to Barrow's twitter post, there is some bullfighting in the South of Thailand.
Curious that it is listed as a prohibition in Bangkok.

No idea on the Fish Fighting arenas.
Back in 1995 on Ko Samui I saw one of those fights where two water buffalo, I think it was, lock horns. I forgot how they determined the winner (no matador there).
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously it's more about the gambling than the actual animals fighting.

Large crowds, everyone screaming, money passing hands. It was no surprise that the biggest COVID-19 outbreak started at a muay thai boxing arena (owned and operated by the Royal Thai Army).

Cockfighting and fish fighting don't require a lot of space. These activities occur throughout Thailand. Now getting those tiny gloves on the fish is surprisingly challenging. Siamese fighting fish (Plakat Thai) are small, look like goldfish to me.

Never heard about bullfighting here. Suspect that if it occurs it's bull on bull, no matador involved.

yosithezet likes this.

Last edited by transpac; Jun 3, 2020 at 9:18 pm
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
The Bangkok Post caused a lot of confusion with their article on May 28, which led many people to conclude that tourists could freely travel to Thailand after from July 1.
I agree with both transpac and Richard Barrow that this is highly unlikely.

Bangkok Post this week mentioned the more realistic creation of "travel bubbles", saying that such a list of countries and conditions does not yet exist.

The Tourist Authority of Thailand published their three part strategy for tourism recovery this week.
Not much news, and I can only hope that a lot of it was "lost in translation".
If this is really all there is, then it's awkward, given that this is a multi billion $ industry.
Slogan, situation assessment, measures, connection to reality, economic assessment and proposals... none of it convinced me.

To summarise, they (TAT) claim in their strategy (without giving a source of this information), that:
- International tourists coming to Thailand should not travel from or have lived in ongoing local transmission areas.
- (on arrival) A medical certificate is also required to be presented.
- Once arriving in Thailand, tourists are required to undergo the COVID-19 rapid test screening process for reconfirmation, and then depart for a sealed area without making any stops.
- Tourists are required to install and use a tracking application on their smartphone for the safety and protection of travelling in and out of sealed areas.

They then go on making some economic suggestions.
Really wild. But it's rather entertaining and fun to read who they want to see in the country and how to shuffle (mostly non-existent) money forth and back.
Example: "Extend the night-time curfew in areas with international tourists to stimulate the night-time economy." - Whatever that means.

Last edited by LoungeLizzard; Jun 7, 2020 at 10:20 am
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
The Nation has also picked up the travel bubble topic in this article.

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha recently instructed the Tourism and Sports Ministry to prepare for bilateral negotiations on travel bubble agreements.
Earlier Tourism and Sports Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan said that such talks might happen in the second half of this year."

Not sure if this means that the prime minister told the Tourism minister to start the negotiations now, or if "talks might happen in the second half of the year" is still the timeline.

I was confused about who the TAT expects to visit:
"Yuthasak (TAT governor) expected that the first groups of travellers to Thailand would be from the Meetings, Incentive Travel, Conventions, Exhibitions segment and health conscious travellers."
Really?
- That looks to me like a list of high risk transmission areas.
- "Health conscious travellers"? - Maybe not.
- What happened to the strategy of moving tourists to sealed areas?

Transpac will easily take all this information this in his stride.
I'm just wondering about all of it, and I have to admit that I obviously understand nothing about Thailand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.