Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 10, 20, 11:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: yosithezet
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old May 17, 20, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
CN/HK/MO/KR to be taken off list of countries/territories whose arrivals are no longer required to make health declaration https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se...gerous-disease

No immediate impact given international flights grounded; not even sure what it means when flights operate again (CN/HK/MO/KR no longer subject to quarantine on arrival?!)

This was a curious announcement/gazetting, perhaps done more for publicity and "good-will", rather than with any sort of practical application? Subsequent efforts to "explain" this action were muddled. Maybe just another stunt by A-Nut-in charge? No one really understands what this means.

Thai people being repatriated from these countries do need a fit-to-fly cert, and are subject to 14-day quarantine, pre-departure, and on arrival at government-selected sites. Not applying similar rules to tourists might not go over so well?

Maybe best to wait for various Thai "authorities" (CAAT, MoPH, MoI, MoFA) to announce the rules, retract them, change them, issue new ones, issue conflicting rules...?

Can't see a lot of tourists coming if there are undue paperwork restrictions or a quarantine. It would have to be as before: Visa Exemption or VoA, maybe a temp check, then onto the bus and head off to the hotel and buffet.
LoungeLizzard likes this.
Old May 17, 20, 5:28 am

Programs: M&M, LHW, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
CN/HK/MO/KR to be taken off list of countries/territories whose arrivals are no longer required to make health declaration
Maybe the article in the Straits Times was edited, because I don't see the reference to the need of a health declaration. But maybe that comes with being on that list.
I also think the article says the opposite of what you wrote, so maybe you'd like to edit that for clarity.
Old May 17, 20, 5:35 am

Programs: M&M, LHW, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by transpac View Post
Maybe best to wait for various Thai "authorities" (CAAT, MoPH, MoI, MoFA) to announce the rules, retract them, change them, issue new ones, issue conflicting rules...?
I completely agree with you, transpac.
This is Thailand.
Nothing is ever as it seems.
Old May 17, 20, 7:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
This was a curious announcement/gazetting, perhaps done more for publicity and "good-will", rather than with any sort of practical application? Subsequent efforts to "explain" this action were muddled. Maybe just another stunt by A-Nut-in charge? No one really understands what this means.
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard View Post
Maybe the article in the Straits Times was edited, because I don't see the reference to the need of a health declaration. But maybe that comes with being on that list.
I also think the article says the opposite of what you wrote, so maybe you'd like to edit that for clarity.
My bad.
I was also reading Hong Kong newspaper (Ming Pao) that said going off list would mean no more health declaration https://news.mingpao.com/ins/%e5%9c%...90%8d%e5%96%ae

I thought it was in Straits Times too
I reread it, it wasn't, apologies.
Old May 19, 20, 8:52 am
Suspended
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I am thinking of flying in sometime in August. But I guess the restaurant industry can't wait for international visitors. I got a message from the Park Hyatt Bangkok Penthouse Bar & Grill announcing their reopening on May 20th.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and have used this time to dedicate our efforts to ensure the well-being of our guests and colleagues. Here are just a few of the many measures we have put in place:

• An all-new spacious seating layout to ensure appropriate social distancing
• Safety stations with hand sanitizer and temperature checks for all of our guests and colleagues
• Masks, face shields, and gloves for colleagues
• QR Payment as an available option to minimize contact

Join us for a variety of offerings from lunch, afternoon tea, to small plates and dinner.
Old May 19, 20, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Can you socially distance at the food halls in Bangkok or where the street food vendors set up?
Old May 19, 20, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I am thinking of flying in sometime in August. But I guess the restaurant industry can't wait for international visitors. I got a message from the Park Hyatt Bangkok Penthouse Bar & Grill announcing their reopening on May 20th.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back ...
One wonders how busy hotels such as the Park Hyatt will be, considering that the government has extended its ban on passenger flights until at least June 30.
Old May 19, 20, 11:57 am
Suspended
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Can you socially distance at the food halls in Bangkok or where the street food vendors set up?
Street food is outside. No worries about virus transmissions unless it is a very dense crowd standing there. Not to mention the fire on the grill is burning up any virus that might have been on the hands of the person cooking. Like it has always been, street food is the safest!
Kalboz likes this.
Old May 19, 20, 8:25 pm

Food halls have reduced seating density/blocked off every other seat and some reportedly installed perspex screens between diners.
Old May 19, 20, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Social distancing seems to be flexibly organized here. A bit in the bank, post office, government offices. Less so elsewhere.

Not a lot of street food, reasons: curfew, fresh markets had been closed, no customers.

Malls re-opened on Sunday, supposedly with strict guidelines. Here's a shot at Mega Bang Na...
Old May 19, 20, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What's going on there? Seems like there's room to spread out more but some event?
Old May 19, 20, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's going on there? Seems like there's room to spread out more but some event?
I think this was the queue to enter the mall.

So, in order to maintain safe distances inside the mall by limiting the number of patrons, the solution is to get them packed tightly into a queue for upwards of two hours.

I think the filter point is in the lower-right corner, in front of IKEA, funneling everyone up the stairs to the second floor?
restlessinRNO likes this.

Last edited by transpac; May 19, 20 at 11:28 pm
Old May 20, 20, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the virus know it's not supposed to cross the filter point?
Old May 22, 20, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

State of Emergency proposed to be extended for another month, to 30 June 2020. Suspect this will be invoked.

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) meeting approved on Friday (May 22) extension of the state of emergency for a month until June 30, as proposed by the National Security Council (NSC).

The NSC on Thursday (May 21) decided to propose the emergency matter as well as those related to the next phase of relaxation of the lockdown and curfew to the CCSA. It invited representatives from related agencies like national security, public health and economy to hold a meeting in order to discuss the state of emergency, which has been enforced since March 26.

After approval by the CCSA, the NSC will propose this matter again to the Cabinet next Tuesday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/...ernal_referral
Old May 22, 20, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I think this was the queue to enter the mall.

So, in order to maintain safe distances inside the mall by limiting the number of patrons, the solution is to get them packed tightly into a queue for upwards of two hours.

I think the filter point is in the lower-right corner, in front of IKEA, funneling everyone up the stairs to the second floor?
TiT

Search this Thread
Search Engine: