Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: exp
Thailand Reopening: Exemption from Quarantine (TEST & GO)

Required Documents:

• A Certificate of Vaccination (fully vaccinated) with an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Those previously infected within 3 months must have received 1 dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Travelers under 12 years of age, travelling with parents or guardians, are exempt from the vaccination requirement.
  • A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling (all travelers).
  • A confirmed payment for a 1-night stay at SHA+, AQ, OQ, or AHQ accommodation, and 1 RT-PCR test.
  • An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$50,000.
https://tp.consular.go.th/

Properties for day-one quarantine: https://asq.in.th/asq-bangkok-thaila...ctedItem=1+Day

TG's "rules"/form
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ne...e-covid19.page

Form for health cert.
https://www.thaiairways.com/static/c...ificate_TG.jpg

Thai inbound covid insurance comparison site:

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Thanks to transpac

Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2021, 8:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by freed0m
Are all COVID cases put in hospital beds? This is a genuine question as I am not on the ground to see it, which can support 160,000 beds available in Thailand. However, that will be a waste of resources as a hospital bed do little to help those asymptomatic or with mild symptoms while those in urgent need of a hospital bed await.
No, definitely not - but I suspect far too many are.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
No, definitely not - but I suspect far too many are.
use UK as an example. UK has 160+ K beds and similar population 60+ million.

The peak of active cases in UK was nearly 2 million. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

If bed is in shortage now in Thailand with less than 170K active cases, how would Thailand handle 2 million active cases?

I seriously doubt the 160,000 beds in Thailand. It does not make sense.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by freed0m
I seriously doubt the 160,000 beds in Thailand. It does not make sense.
you should not doubt, you should COUNT!
List of hospitals in Thailand - Wikipedia
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by BinSabai
by postponement of all non urgent treatments and surgeries like they did in Europe and Americas...
Sorry as an MD myself you don't just "shift" one specialty for another - ICU care is a VERY specialized area and you don't just learn it in a day or two. Plus the Thai idea of "treating" some early symptoms is just laughable
Who is supervising the "care" of the thousands in field hospitals, etc.? Sure you can train someone to take temps, measure O2, etc but there are finer evaluations that take more training.
Not to mention the idea of putting many infected together so that variant strains can combine into a new one in addition to normal mutation (is this what happened in India simply b/c so many were infected and lived in close proximity - possible I think)
Sadly I have no idea how competent their treatment of more advanced disease is - don't even know if they have access to some of the more effective tx.
Every day I just get sadder and sadder about the situation......
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
you should not doubt, you should COUNT!
List of hospitals in Thailand - Wikipedia
then tell me what’s going on in Thailand now?

160,000 beds and 170,000 active cases and people can’t get a bed.

The health minister should start to kick people out of hospital bed long ago.

first world facility with third world management?

Last edited by freed0m; Jul 26, 2021 at 6:02 pm
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Sorry as an MD myself you don't just "shift" one specialty for another - ICU care is a VERY specialized area and you don't just learn it in a day or two. Plus the Thai idea of "treating" some early symptoms is just laughable
Who is supervising the "care" of the thousands in field hospitals, etc.? Sure you can train someone to take temps, measure O2, etc but there are finer evaluations that take more training.
Not to mention the idea of putting many infected together so that variant strains can combine into a new one in addition to normal mutation (is this what happened in India simply b/c so many were infected and lived in close proximity - possible I think)
Sadly I have no idea how competent their treatment of more advanced disease is - don't even know if they have access to some of the more effective tx.
Every day I just get sadder and sadder about the situation......
this is just the beginning.

if Thailand goes to anywhere like Malaysia, you could see as many as 3x current number of cases.

Thailand vaccination is behind Malaysia.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Not to mention the idea of putting many infected together so that variant strains can combine into a new one in addition to normal mutation ......
huh ?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
huh ?
People have been found to be infected with 2 different strains at the same time so it seems logical that with 2 strains in one host the chance for new mutations would increase. In any case grouping sick people together in large groups is never a good idea - eg I have variant A, person next to me has variant B - now I'm more likely to get doubly infected than if I was not in close proximity to them.
Of course this doesn't even include my susceptibility to other diseases they may be carrying.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Source: MoPH

Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13% of People in High-density Communities in Bangkok Are Infected with COVID-19

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Rural Doctors’ Society (RDS) reports that over 13% of people in 40 high-density communities in Bangkok were found to be infected during proactive COVID-19 screening.

According to the RDS, its medical teams and staff from hospitals from various provinces carried out two COVID-19 testing rounds in Bangkok, the first between July 14th and 16th and the latest between July 21st and 23rd, targeting crowded urban communities.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/d...10726130340565
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mongkut Wattana hospital to reject COVID patients “dumped” on the doorstep

The director of Bangkok’s Mongkut Wattana Hospital has issued a stern warning to those who attempt to jump the admissions queue by dumping COVID-19 infected people at the hospital without advance coordination, in hope of being admitted, saying he means business and will not tolerate such a practice.

In the wake of the surge in patients needing admission for medical treatment and the acute shortage of hospital beds, Maj-Gen Rianthong Nanna explained in his Facebook post today about the need to enforce order in the management of hospital beds and to prioritise of patients, to prevent chaos over hospital beds among the sick and their relatives.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/mongkut...-the-doorstep/
Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:17 pm

from the bangkok post

I just find this scary

"Although the treatment by the herbal medicine went well, the credibility was not high because it lacked scientific proof. The patients did not pass another Covid-19 test after the treatment. Dr Kwanchai explained that they followed a new protocol recommended by the Infectious Disease Association of Thailand that if patients did not show any symptoms after the quarantine period, they can be discharged without taking a second Covid-19 test."It is because there is no further indication relating to the sickness, it means the level of disease is too low to transmit to others," he said."

So don't test and hope for the best???
"Another reason is to save costs.

"Our research budget is quite limited so we only have a Google form for doctors to evaluate each patient's conditions during Covid-19 treatment with fah talai jone. But if we could have RT-PCR test results after the treatment, the research would have more credibility," he said.

For those who are anxious and worry if they get the infection during the present outbreak, Dr Kulthanit advised taking fah talai jone only when they have fever-like symptoms."
There are warnings further on about when to not take it, etc.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I just find this scary

"Our research budget is quite limited so we only have a Google form for doctors to evaluate each patient's conditions during Covid-19 treatment with fah talai jone. But if we could have RT-PCR test results after the treatment, the research would have more credibility," he said.

For those who are anxious and worry if they get the infection during the present outbreak, Dr Kulthanit advised taking fah talai jone only when they have fever-like symptoms."

There are warnings further on about when to not take it, etc.
Wow, just WOW

Obviously agreeing with OP, this IS scary (I am currently safely in Canada planning my next visit to LoS to visit friends there).

Though I can sort of see the logic of not testing if there are no symptoms after two weeks ..... BUT .... A big but, as there is NO scientific evidence that infection has resolved, and there is a very good possibility that these people will spread Covid when set loose.

NB, I am NOT editing OP's post, just the quote of Dr Kwanchai .... not an MD myself, but having spent over two decades in Medical Field including NIH clinical trials, I like to think I have some insight into scientific method.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:32 pm

Here is the actual article
https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/soc...-against-covid

The idea that if you don't have symptoms you don't need a test b/c you are no longer contagious is soooo scary, but if I'm vac and have no sx and test positive I have to go into quarantine for 14 days??? Not even any internal consistency
No idea what a scientific study is apparently and now they are basing their "treatment" on this!
Not to mention that people who have contraindications who might not read all the details:"Fah talai jone is a cooling herb. It should not be consumed for more than five to seven days otherwise it may cause numbness in the hands and feet, lowering blood pressure and also impact the kidneys, he added.

Not everyone can take fah talai jone. Those who should avoid the medicine are pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, those who have kidney and liver problems and people who regularly take high blood pressure pills and blood thinners."
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Source: @thaiNewsReports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.