Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: exp
Thailand Reopening: Exemption from Quarantine (TEST & GO)

Required Documents:

• A Certificate of Vaccination (fully vaccinated) with an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Those previously infected within 3 months must have received 1 dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Travelers under 12 years of age, travelling with parents or guardians, are exempt from the vaccination requirement.
  • A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling (all travelers).
  • A confirmed payment for a 1-night stay at SHA+, AQ, OQ, or AHQ accommodation, and 1 RT-PCR test.
  • An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$50,000.
https://tp.consular.go.th/

Properties for day-one quarantine: https://asq.in.th/asq-bangkok-thaila...ctedItem=1+Day

TG's "rules"/form
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ne...e-covid19.page

Form for health cert.
https://www.thaiairways.com/static/c...ificate_TG.jpg

Thai inbound covid insurance comparison site:

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Thanks to transpac

Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the.wandering.aengus
This is clearly not the case as I cleared immigration this morning (March 12) and no health declaration was needed.
Why am I not surprised?

Did you have to complete the T.8 form?

If not, then I can only assume that:

it is not required unless you are coming from countries listed in the two "danger zone" documents, or

the Thai authorities at the airport this morning chose not to require it of you, or passengers on your flight.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 11, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
This is interesting.

Would love to hear more detail...what were you told was the reason for the DB? "Apparently" makes it sound like you were not given specific reason(s). What did they suggest you do? Were you starting an LHR-DOH-BKK return trip?

This sounds more like a Qatar/QR issue than a Thailand issue but without more detail, it's hard to assess.

In any event, the situation is not going to improve here (in Thailand) anytime soon. Things will get much more confusing, as if that is possible, with various ministries issuing countervailing "orders" as an incompetent military dictatorship grapples with a crisis they are wholly unfit to deal with. Tanks and bullets work on pesky citizens, not so much on a virus.

All the sites, temples, food, entertainment, and hopefully the bulk of the population, will still be here after this crisis has abated. The Grand Palace is no less magnificent with thousands of other tourists. While you might think the locals will appreciate your money I can't say that this is the best time to visit the Land of Smiles. Foreigners (non-Asian looking), are somewhat subtly being portrayed as bringing the disease to Thailand. Sort of the inverse xenophobia Asians are experiencing elsewhere. That said, Thai's are sharing their resentment for other Thais returning from Korea, where they have been living and working illegally. So there's a lot of fear and hatred in the air.

The "tipping point" in public fear amongst Thais was roughly yesterday, in my completely unqualified observation.
The guidance is ambiguous:
1. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a Health Certificate to prove they are free from Coronavirus (COVID-19). They must be under doctor's observation 14 days before issuing date. The Health Certificate must be valid for not more than 2 days prior to departure.

My trip was booked as follows: HKG-BKK-DOH-LHR (1 week) -DOH-BKK (2 days) - HKG

I had to move the last HK segment earlier to make it a legal connection so I was able to board in LHR.

QR agents believed that this meant anyone being in these places in the past 14 days - but if you read closely it only says 'arriving from'. I arrived from DOH. The guidance is pretty poorly written and I get why QR would err on the cautious side here. However, I never actually believed that I would have an issue clearing immigration.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:58 pm

I didn't have to fill in the T.8 form.

Why am I not surprised?

Did you have to complete the T.8 form?

If not, then I can only assume that:

it is not required if coming from countries listed in the two "danger zone" documents, or

the Thai authorities at the airport this morning chose not to require it of you, or passengers on your flight.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the.wandering.aengus
My trip was booked as follows: HKG-BKK-DOH-LHR (1 week) -DOH-BKK (2 days) - HKG
OK, so not a POOT issue.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 11, 2020 at 10:08 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+11 today.

11 CONTRACT CORONAVIRUS AFTER SHARING CUP, CIGARETTE AT PARTY

BANGKOK — Eleven Thais were diagnosed with the coronavirus after they shared a glass for drinks and passed around the same cigarette at a recent party, the health ministry said Thursday.

The eleven were part of a group of 15 people at the gathering, which also includes a Chinese national from Hong Kong, health ministry sec-gen Sukhum Kanchanapimai said at a news conference. The announcement brought the total number of confirmed infection in Thailand to 70.

It is unclear whether the Hong Konger also had the coronavirus because the person already returned to their country, though the person did show signs of illness at the party, Sukhum said.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/...ette-at-party/

They were at Central World/Groove and Commons/Thong Lor.
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 12, 2020 at 12:02 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:10 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Post Deleted

Last edited by Oldtiger; Apr 10, 2020 at 9:22 pm Reason: Add app details
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
12 March 2020 .... The Thai Government has mandated that all inbound foreign travellers must provide their personal contact information through a mobile app developed by Airports of Thailand (AoT) starting today (12 March 2020) as part of measures to combat the spread of coronavirus. The information required includes name, passport number, phone number, email address and address in Thailand.
The app "requirement" has been brought up a few posts up-thread and already shown to be a nonsense in that it's not being asked for either via the app version or the paper version of the T8 form. The app opens this web page in a browser if anyone wants to preview it without downloading the app.

https://pandemic.kdlab.ai/
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazing Thailand.

Visa on arrival, visa-free entry cancellation on hold

The government has put on hold its plan to suspend visa on arrival (VoA) for 18 countries and visa-free entry from high-risk areas (South Korea, Hong Kong and Italy) after an urgent meeting on Thursday (March 12).The Department of Consular Affairs director-general, Chatree Atchananant, said that the matter will be discussed further at a Cabinet meeting on March 17.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383919
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Post Deleted

Last edited by Oldtiger; Apr 10, 2020 at 9:21 pm
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plan to scrap visa causes confusion

Confusion abounds after the government gave out conflicting information pertaining to the cancellation of visa exemptions and visa-on-arrival services for 18 countries and three other territories, as it seeks contain the Covid-19 outbreak in Thailand.

The cancellation was announced on Wednesday by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, after he met with Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob to discuss measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus in the country.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...uses-confusion
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:28 am

Plan to scrap visa causes confusion

Confusion abounds after the government gave out conflicting information pertaining to the cancellation of visa exemptions and visa-on-arrival services for 18 countries and three other territories, as it seeks contain the Covid-19 outbreak in Thailand.

The cancellation was announced on Wednesday by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, after he met with Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob to discuss measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus in the country.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...uses-confusion
It's on Timatic now, whether the Thai government think it's cancelled or suspended or whatever, so rightly or wrongly, the airlines should be enforcing it.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by ft101
It's on Timatic now, whether the Thai government think it's cancelled or suspended or whatever, so rightly or wrongly, the airlines should be enforcing it.
Edit 22:57: they've withdrawn it

And updated Timatic accordingly https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 13, 2020 at 8:58 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:47 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Can anyone offer clarification to the MoPH statement 'For travelers from ongoing local transmission areas' (https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumoni...index_more.php). The statement is:

For travelers from ongoing local transmission areas, recommended to implement control for observation (meaning supervision without quarantine with permission to transit upon the condition that they follow the stipulations under the law) in order to ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days until the end of the infectious period or the reason for suspicion. They may obtain permission to go to certain places where deemed necessary and a surveillance officer will closely monitor symptoms.

I'm from the UK and booked to fly to BKK via AMS in three weeks. KL will not refund me since the flight has not been cancelled so I am hoping that I can get refunds for my hotel reservations and get a KLM rebooking voucher, but if I cannot get hotel refunds then I guess I'll take the trip. I'll be in Thailand for 9 days (arrive Day 1, Days 2-8, depart Day 9). I was initially going to have Day 2-7 in Chiang Mai and the other days in Bangkok. I've omitted Chiang Mai from my plan due to the very bad air quality, so I'll stay in Bangkok for the entire trip. Since I am there for less than 14 days. How does the self-monitoring work? Do I have to report to the MoPH etc.? The statement is not clear to me.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by siw
Can anyone offer clarification to the MoPH statement 'For travelers from ongoing local transmission areas' (https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumoni...index_more.php). The statement is:

For travelers from ongoing local transmission areas, recommended to implement control for observation (meaning supervision without quarantine with permission to transit upon the condition that they follow the stipulations under the law) in order to ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days until the end of the infectious period or the reason for suspicion. They may obtain permission to go to certain places where deemed necessary and a surveillance officer will closely monitor symptoms.

I'm from the UK and booked to fly to BKK via AMS in three weeks. KL will not refund me since the flight has not been cancelled so I am hoping that I can get refunds for my hotel reservations and get a KLM rebooking voucher, but if I cannot get hotel refunds then I guess I'll take the trip. I'll be in Thailand for 9 days (arrive Day 1, Days 2-8, depart Day 9). I was initially going to have Day 2-7 in Chiang Mai and the other days in Bangkok. I've omitted Chiang Mai from my plan due to the very bad air quality, so I'll stay in Bangkok for the entire trip. Since I am there for less than 14 days. How does the self-monitoring work? Do I have to report to the MoPH etc.? The statement is not clear to me.
This app, and the SIM card

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.