Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Few questions on BKK

Few questions on BKK

Old Dec 25, 19, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Few questions on BKK

Arriving and staying in Bangkok on our way / back to Cambodia. A few questions.

- Staying at the Le Meridien nearest the airport (residential / golf course. not downtown) only for one night on our way through. Probably easiest just grabbing a cab and tell him to use the meter? Maybe just use Grab for the trip back.
- We just need a few bucks for our short time and I understand their is Super Rich currency exchange on the lower level when we land? Is this also same level as taxis??
- When we return we are staying at the Sheraton Orchid ( there is nicer hotels I know but like the quieter area for a change and the river view ) only here for a few days
- Just going to book from Viator or Klook a private pick up. I will assume this will be the easiest and probably not much more? Will do the same for the trip back to the airport. We are leaving in the mid evening so curious how much time we should give ourselves to get to the airport?
- Any recommendations around the Sheraton for something casual / local for cold beers / eats. We really don't want super expensive places as we can/do that in our normal life. We love visiting the local cafes and just sitting on a chair outside and watching life go by sipping a cold beer.
- Would love to find something close by to sit along the river that is very casual and reasonable?
- Is there any tours or can you hire someone just to get on the boat and cruise the river ( not a big tourist boat ) something very small and stop when / where we want. Thought that would be fun for a few hours in the morning or afternoon if possible. Not looking to do much else as we are on the back end of our vacation. Just relax.
- Any other feedback, suggestions, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Old Dec 25, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
The taxis are pretty good at BKK airport. I presume that you are flying into BKK and not DMK.
There is a very good restaurant on the other side of the river. I forget the name. It's on the river itself like a floating dock. The hotel should know that and would help. There are water taxis crossing the River.
Old Dec 25, 19, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04 View Post
We just need a few bucks for our short time and I understand their is Super Rich currency exchange on the lower level when we land? Is this also same level as taxis??
No, the good exchanges are in the basement level, one down from the taxis.
IndoChine likes this.
Old Dec 25, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
LM has a shuttle van to/from BKK airport, cheaper than taxi. I recall 250 Baht.
Old Dec 25, 19, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
LM has a shuttle van to/from BKK airport, cheaper than taxi. I recall 250 Baht.
My experience was the opposite. The taxi was actually cheaper than the shuttle.
Old Dec 25, 19, 10:04 pm

For restaurants nearby Sheraton Orchid 80/20 is very good but I think may be a bit more upmarket than what you're looking for. Afternoon beers next to river and walking distance Samsara Cafe I think is the sort of place you're looking for. As local as somewhere selling beers next to the river can be but certainly;y not fancy.
Old Dec 26, 19, 12:58 am

Arriving and staying in Bangkok on our way / back to Cambodia. A few questions.

- Staying at the Le Meridien nearest the airport (residential / golf course. not downtown) only for one night on our way through. Probably easiest just grabbing a cab and tell him to use the meter? Maybe just use Grab for the trip back.
- We just need a few bucks for our short time and I understand their is Super Rich currency exchange on the lower level when we land? Is this also same level as taxis??
- When we return we are staying at the Sheraton Orchid ( there is nicer hotels I know but like the quieter area for a change and the river view ) only here for a few days
- Just going to book from Viator or Klook a private pick up. I will assume this will be the easiest and probably not much more? Will do the same for the trip back to the airport. We are leaving in the mid evening so curious how much time we should give ourselves to get to the airport?
- Any recommendations around the Sheraton for something casual / local for cold beers / eats. We really don't want super expensive places as we can/do that in our normal life. We love visiting the local cafes and just sitting on a chair outside and watching life go by sipping a cold beer.
- Would love to find something close by to sit along the river that is very casual and reasonable?
- Is there any tours or can you hire someone just to get on the boat and cruise the river ( not a big tourist boat ) something very small and stop when / where we want. Thought that would be fun for a few hours in the morning or afternoon if possible. Not looking to do much else as we are on the back end of our vacation. Just relax.
- Any other feedback, suggestions, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.
If you take a taxi to LeMeridien, do not take a taxi ticket from the machine. Instead look for the sign for short trips, by the taxi ticket queue.
dav662 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 19, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the feedback and info. Appreciated!

- I will check the Le Meridien shuttle prices out...…….albeit a hell of a time trying to find email addresses for the Marriott hotels now! I miss SPG.
- Thanks for the tip on the short trip Taxi Queue! I noticed on You Tube that option but wasn't sure.
- Samsara Café - will definitely give it a go!
- Will inquire about the floating restaurant across the river from the Sheraton
Old Dec 27, 19, 3:40 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
If just a small amount, by all means use a exchange booths of the Thai banks at the arrivals hall rather than going to the basement for Super Rich etc (and most likely you have to queue at Super Rich). The loss will be minimal if only a small amount, say 500-1000 THB.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Dec 27, 19, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Will do, not worried about the small loss of a few bucks from exchange booth to exchange booth.

I actually received a response from the Le Meridien of a complimentary hotel shuttle which is great! One other quick question - we are arriving on Qatar at 06:55 a.m. How long will it take us to grab our luggage and get through customs. The Le Meridien has set up the shuttle for 08:00 a.m. For some reason I think that might be pushing it too tight. I would rather wait 30-45 minutes to make sure than rush. Would it be a good idea to push that pick up time by at least 30 minutes to an hour?
CJKatl likes this.
Old Dec 27, 19, 9:00 am

If you are flying business class and if you have visa waiver then it would be fast track at immigration. What may make it longer is the walk to get to the immigration counter depending on the arrival Gate.
I have been thru in BKK within 30 mins and occasionally more than an hour too.
Old Dec 27, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm Club, AS MVP, EK Skywards Blue, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold Elite
The Never Ending Summer just across the river is quite casual. You can sit outside too. Unfortunately it is slightly set back from river but the food is very nice. There are a few other cheaper bars and restaurants nearby which are cheaper and more casual with river views but the food not so good.
Old Dec 28, 19, 6:54 am
Original Poster

We are flying business class into BKK. What do you mean a Visa waiver? We don't need a Visa for Bangkok / Thailand?
Old Dec 28, 19, 7:30 am

We are flying business class into BKK. What do you mean a Visa waiver? We don't need a Visa for Bangkok / Thailand?
Visa Waiver is for countries that do need a visa on arrival for Thailand. Canadian passport holders do not need a visa on arrival and is a visa waiver country. Since you are on business class the airline will give you fast track cards for immigration. It means you have special counters for immigration and not the normal ones. So you should be out much more quickly. Just a point in that it is better to carry USD instead of CAD.
Old Dec 28, 19, 7:41 am

What do you mean a Visa waiver? We don't need a Visa for Bangkok / Thailand?
Visa Exemption ... here's the list

http://www.consular.go.th/main/conte...rrival/VOA.pdf

Search this Thread
Search Engine: