Few questions on BKK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Few questions on BKK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thank You! We will be carrying US$$ as we are heading onto Cambodia. Albeit we might be fast tracked through I think I will let our Hotel know that 08:00 a.m. might be a little too tight since we arriving at 06:55 a.m. if of course all goes as planned. I will bump it up for 09:00 a.m.

What kind of timelines are there at BKK when leaving. Just curious how much time we should give ourselves. We will be flying out on Bangkok Airlines off to Cambodia and then returning for a bit.......then flying out on Qatar Airways. Any specific terminals etc., we should ask for based on these two departures and how quickly can we expect to get through to our gate once in the terminal checking in, security etc.,. The reason I ask is that we were in Saigon a couple of years ago and took a cab to the airport - We ended up being dropped off at the wrong terminal. It wasn't a big deal as it was walkable but.....
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
There is only one Terminal at BKK. The other airport is DMK which is Don Muang. Bangkok Airways operate into BKK and so does Qatar.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I've stayed at the adjacent Summit Windmill resort (huge rooms, pity not all the A/C units work) a few times. The two restaurants there are among the more-reasonable for Bangkok and quality is quite good. One's between the residences and clubhouse. The other is downstairs (open air course-facing) patio of the club house. If you don't want to get THB on your initial way through, Grab car works (taxis are cash IIRC).
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Flying biz I am usually landside 30 min after gate contact.
It can be a long way to immigration VIP/fast track, they are in the middle of both immigration hals, thus depending what side of airport your plane lands be sure to walk to the special entry.
Thus an 08am meet seems fine to me, no need to wait an other hour for that short ride to Le Meridien. Your shuttle will wait for you anyhow.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. So once we are deplaned, I should be looking for any sign that says "special entry?"......Will Qatar give us something special to use for this entry or just our boarding pass from the flight?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:04 pm

There's two big entries to 'normal' immigration at BKK (about 2-300m apart) and then a separate entrance called 'Priority Lane' which is between them, this is what you're heading for so no matter which direction you're coming from you should walk past the first entrance and if you get to the second something has gone wrong. Last time I travelled there they still had the separate priority lane passes that the airline would give you with the immigration forms, for latest info on this check the priority lane thread in this forum because there have been a number of changes of the pass recently.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It depends on the airline where they give it. Some give on board while others give as you deplane and end of the jetway. It's better to ask on board about the fast track or priority lane pass. You need to have it to give to the immigration counter or else they would send you back to the normal counter.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dav662
It depends on the airline where they give it. Some give on board while others give as you deplane and end of the jetway. It's better to ask on board about the fast track or priority lane pass. You need to have it to give to the immigration counter or else they would send you back to the normal counter.
For arrivals, you no longer get a fast track pass. Access to the fast track lane is obtained by presenting your J or F boarding pass.

What airlines give pass for BKK Fast Track ?

(Start reading at post number 413 of that thread.)

Edit: Can also confirm from arriving at BKK in October in J on Asiana - no fast track pass issued, just used boarding pass.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Dec 29, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:45 pm

Depatures too. No Fasttrack passes issued at check-in desks, just show a Business or First boarding pass to the entrance staff.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
FWIW, as I get to immigration I look at the regular entrance. Often it is clear and wide open, in which case I just go through it rather than moving on towards the priority lane. A few years back I got to the priority lanes and there was a tourist group there so it was crowded. By the time I went back to the previously empty regular lanes the whole plane was then in line. Now I just go to that line if it is empty rather than take the chance. When the regular lines are empty they are fast so there is no benefit to the priority lane.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again...…..what about time folks. How long should we give ourselves at the airport when departing and/or arriving? As I mentioned above if we land at 06:55 and my shuttle is leaving at 08:00 are we really o.k. or just book it for 09:00 to be on the safe side. When we are departing we are leaving around 8:45 p.m. in the evening and are staying at the Sheraton Royal Orchid - just not sure when to leave the hotel plus we want to relax in the lounge for awhile before our departure.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Thanks again...…..what about time folks. How long should we give ourselves at the airport when departing and/or arriving? As I mentioned above if we land at 06:55 and my shuttle is leaving at 08:00 are we really o.k. or just book it for 09:00 to be on the safe side. When we are departing we are leaving around 8:45 p.m. in the evening and are staying at the Sheraton Royal Orchid - just not sure when to leave the hotel plus we want to relax in the lounge for awhile before our departure.
Depending upon which gate assignment your plane receives upon arrival, it could easily take 20 mins to walk to Immigration from your gate. If your flight is late....you get the idea. I suggest the 09:00 shuttle is the wiser option for a 06:55 scheduled arrival.

Regarding departure, you'll want to leave the ROS 3-4 hours in advance of your scheduled flight departure time, esp given your stated desire to visit the lounge prior to boarding.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:46 pm

For the arrival I'd keep it as 8:00, in my 25 odd arrivals at BKK it's never taken me more than 45 minutes from landing to getting luggage and being gone (and usually 30 mins or under). Arriving in business takes a lot of pain out of things.

For the departure at that time I'd be leaving probably 3 1/2 - 4 hours before the flight, mainly for fear of traffic but I usually stay in thong lor, chitlom or Silom so I'm not sure about the traffic around royal orchid beyond knowing it's terrible trying to get to that area at that time.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by IMOA
For the arrival I'd keep it as 8:00, in my 25 odd arrivals at BKK it's never taken me more than 45 minutes from landing to getting luggage and being gone (and usually 30 mins or under). Arriving in business takes a lot of pain out of things.
What about later arrival? I’m scheduled to land at 11:55 (23:55) PM on a Monday night, in business (ANA)... 30 to 45 minutes still accurate?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by jonisflying
What about later arrival? I’m scheduled to land at 11:55 (23:55) PM on a Monday night, in business (ANA)... 30 to 45 minutes still accurate?
If you’re in business and have access to the priority queue yes, I think thats reasonable. If you don’t have access to the priority queue then it could be 30 mins. - 90 mins, I’ve landed at 1:00am and the queues have completely filled the halls and stretched down the walkway to the travelators which wasn’t a queue I’d want to be anywhere near.
jonisflying likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.