FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Street food ban in Bangkok? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1999943-street-food-ban-bangkok.html)

wco81 Dec 15, 2019 11:44 am

Street food ban in Bangkok?

Not an outright ban but a big reduction.

Already, the number of areas designated for street food has decreased from 683 three years ago to 175, according to the Network of Thai Street Vendors for Sustainable Development.

Sakoltee Phattiyakul, the deputy governor of Bangkok, dismissed fears that street food would be gone from Bangkok this year.

“No, no, no, we’re not going to ban to zero,” he said, stressing that a local government initiative to clear the city’s sidewalks of clutter was “just a plan that we have had for years.”

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ers-see-a-mess

bwiadca Dec 17, 2019 6:50 am

I think this applies only to individuals selling food at random places. If you go to any market you will still have plenty of "street food" vendors.

estnet Dec 18, 2019 12:50 am

There are fewer independent places and some that used to be on the sidewalk now have moved to steps outside a building - definitely a change but lots can still be found on side streets, food courts in most malls, etc.
The character has changed but I quite enjoy being able to walk on the sidewalk instead of having to go into traffic (to avoid the food stalls) and being able to walk on the sidewalk without being run over by motorcycles - not a fan of all the changes the gov has made but now at least some people (on crutches maybe not wheel chairs b/c the sidewalks are still broken)can use the streets as a place to walk from one place to another.
Nevertheless it does look like it is harder for working Thai's to just get their lunch on the street near where they work.
For tourists - pretty easy to find street food, though.

Diplomatico Dec 18, 2019 1:18 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 31851784)
There are fewer independent places and some that used to be on the sidewalk now have moved to steps outside a building - definitely a change but lots can still be found on side streets, food courts in most malls, etc.

Dishes sold by small restaurants set up in mall food courts can hardly be classified as street food.

transpac Dec 18, 2019 5:08 pm

An article from the Bangkok Post the week before the OP article...

Reprieve for footpath traders

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has promised it will allow vendors back on footpaths under certain restrictions next year, senator Sungsidh Piriyarangsan says.

The BMA has banned footpath trading and handed street vendors a deadline of Dec 31 to clear their stalls off pavements. Temporary permission to trade at more than 900 locations has been cancelled, affecting more than 200,000 vendors, Mr Sungsidh said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...otpath-traders

"Street food" means so many things to many different people.For the most part it is quite annoying when trying to walk, as soon as you step into the street you're fair game for a motorbike, but my biggest beef is with the recycling of waste cooking oil down the sewer. But people have to eat, including the ~ 3 million foreign manual laborers building Bangkok so what can you do.

There is a city-wide ban on footpath trading (everything, not just food) on Mondays.

In related news, the "government" has turned sections of Silom, Yaowarat and Khao San Roads into walking streets, during certain days/times.

Walking streets to open Sunday in Bangkok

After Sunday's event, Yaowarat Road will be closed for pedestrians every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 7pm to midnight.

Silom Road will go car-free on the third Sunday of the month from noon to 10pm, while Khao San Road will be wide open to pedestrians every Monday from 5pm to midnight.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...day-in-bangkok

estnet Dec 18, 2019 11:47 pm

I'm still wondering what they are going to do about the buses when Silom becomes a "pedestrian" street :confused:

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 31854464)
An article from the Bangkok Post the week before the OP article...

Reprieve for footpath traders

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has promised it will allow vendors back on footpaths under certain restrictions next year, senator Sungsidh Piriyarangsan says.

The BMA has banned footpath trading and handed street vendors a deadline of Dec 31 to clear their stalls off pavements. Temporary permission to trade at more than 900 locations has been cancelled, affecting more than 200,000 vendors, Mr Sungsidh said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...otpath-traders

"Street food" means so many things to many different people.For the most part it is quite annoying when trying to walk, as soon as you step into the street you're fair game for a motorbike, but my biggest beef is with the recycling of waste cooking oil down the sewer. But people have to eat, including the ~ 3 million foreign manual laborers building Bangkok so what can you do.

There is a city-wide ban on footpath trading (everything, not just food) on Mondays.

In related news, the "government" has turned sections of Silom, Yaowarat and Khao San Roads into walking streets, during certain days/times.

Walking streets to open Sunday in Bangkok

After Sunday's event, Yaowarat Road will be closed for pedestrians every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 7pm to midnight.

Silom Road will go car-free on the third Sunday of the month from noon to 10pm, while Khao San Road will be wide open to pedestrians every Monday from 5pm to midnight.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...day-in-bangkok

Solivagant Jan 14, 2020 7:42 pm

Maybe this will cut down on the many times I've gotten food poisoning.

BuildingMyBento Jan 16, 2020 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Solivagant (Post 31951594)
Maybe this will cut down on the many times I've gotten food poisoning.

In the case of street food, you can see almost exactly what and how the cooks are preparing...try snoping around a restaurant kitchen.

Those stomach bugs can strike anywhere.

Diplomatico Jan 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 31958237)
In the case of street food, you can see almost exactly what and how the cooks are preparing...try snoping around a restaurant kitchen.

Those stomach bugs can strike anywhere.

Sometimes. In many cases, the food is already prepared and packaged in small plastic bags tied with rubber bands. Those are a hard "pass" for me.

wco81 Jan 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Heard people talk up the food courts at these big shopping malls.

Thumbs up or down?

estnet Jan 16, 2020 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 31960567)

Thumbs up or down?

Thumbs up for sure - but each one is different it's not like the US where the restaurants are basically the same no matter where you go.

Terminal 21. MBK, Big C across from Central, Central World , etc. all are different but have lots of choices and u can see how food is prepared.
Most are good value and have reasonable-good sanitary conditions!!!

northsideguy Jan 17, 2020 12:59 am

I live in Bangkok, and in my opinion food courts in Tesco are better than Big C. Do you want know 3 obscure food court locations in the Chidlom area? An inexpensive one is on the 4th floor of the Amarin Building, located near the west exit of ChiIdlom Station. The other two are in Central Embassy at east exit of the station. The first one is Central Food Hall on the 7floor. This is an upscale version where you order at the food station, and they deliver it to you table. The real gem is in Cemtral Embassy LG level. It is called Eathai and it is a symphony of different styles and types of Thai foods.

On a different note, you can get a viral gastroenteritis illness from other sources besides food. One of the most common transmissions is contact with contaminated surfaces. That is why I never touch a door handle when exiting the public bathroom, as many people open the door to leave without washing their hands. The next time you are in a public restroom in Bangkok, watch how many people really wash their hands before leaving and opening the door. You be surprised. I have never come down with viral gastroenteritis or food poisoning in the 6 years I have lived here by taking basic precautions. I have eaten from street vendors not only in Bangkok, but also in small towns and villages. So don’t blame all the street vendors for the nasty stomach viruses because you may have contracted elsewhere.

Jaimito Cartero Jan 17, 2020 1:05 am

I can’t recall ever getting sick from eating street food in BKK. I wish I could say the same with food in TG.

Never had a problem with packaged fruits, like mango, watermelon, etc. For other foods, have it cooked fresh in front of you. If it looks dirty, move along to somewhere else.

CrazyInteg Jan 17, 2020 9:48 am

Thumbs up or down?

Big thumb up.

Side note, it's nice being able to walk on the sidewalks easier.

Diplomatico Jan 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Thumbs up or down?

In addition to the locations mentioned, the basement of the EmQuartier shopping mall (Phrom Phong BTS stop) is a huge food court area. One side is a variety of Western style food establishments and the other side contains a variety of Thai style food establishments.