Search

Street food ban in Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by northsideguy
I live in Bangkok, and in my opinion food courts in Tesco are better than Big C. Do you want know 3 obscure food court locations in the Chidlom area? An inexpensive one is on the 4th floor of the Amarin Building, located near the west exit of ChiIdlom Station. The other two are in Central Embassy at east exit of the station. The first one is Central Food Hall on the 7floor. This is an upscale version where you order at the food station, and they deliver it to you table. The real gem is in Cemtral Embassy LG level. It is called Eathai and it is a symphony of different styles and types of Thai foods.

Is it a particular Tesco location?

Or are they all mega stores with food courts?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't swing a dead cat here without hitting a food court or three. Every mall, office building, gas station, market has one.

Why eat on the street (cats, rats, dogs, fumes, rain, general khlong stench) when you can get food indoors? Yes, there are a few exceptions (Lumpini, Yaowarat, Ratchada, Petchaburi).

Food courts have a dozen, often more options, all in one location, with aircon. Mostly with stored-value/prepaid cards.

My favorites: Food Republic (Singapore food court chain with outlets in Siam Center, Central Rama 9, Mega Bang Na), Central World, Siam Paragon (Thip Samai outlet here). For me, it depends on where I am, and what dish(es) I want. For visitors, food courts are ideal, just get them a card and let them loose.

Regarding food-borne illnesses, Thai people get sick all the time. For me, I haven't been sick in a few years, at least since I stopped eating street food.

My definition of street food is limited to outlets which are temporary, mobile, cart-based, mostly take-away, but some with up to 5 tables. I think that's what the OP refers to?

Want to go here but just never make it... https://www.google.de/maps/place/Rua...7!4d100.561745

Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Is it a particular Tesco location?

Or are they all mega stores with food courts?
Every full service Tesco store I have been to in Thailand, had a food court. There are different sizes of Tesco (not including Tesco Express, which is like a 7-11) with small or large food court areas. For example the Tesco at Onnut BTS station has a large food court. Today I had lunch at Tesco Bang Kaeo on Bang Na Road which had a smaller food court but tasty food. But English is not often spoken. If you find yourself and have a difficult time ordering, use your phone to take a picture of the item on the menu board, and then show it to the person at the counter. Works every time.,
estnet likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been to this one twice, go early (~ 11:00 AM).

https://goo.gl/maps/2VLu14sZomPhJ23AA

Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Street food has no exclusive claim on food borne illness

https://boingboing.net/2020/01/17/yo...ns-guests.html
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Street food has no exclusive claim on food borne illness
True that.

Here we have what seems like daily mass school food poisonings...

(This week)

Nearly 130 Chiang Mai Students Hospitalized for Food Poisoning

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thail...ood-poisoning/

Stay away from the pickled bamboo shoots?

(An oldie)

The need for global planned mobilization of essential medicine: lessons from a massive Thai botulism outbreak

https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/85/3/06-039545/en/
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Knock on the wood, I haven't got food poisoning during any of my trips to Thailand over the years, and I've been eating street food every day.
On the other hand, 7 of us went to very nice all you can eat seafood restaurant near BKK Airport https://www.facebook.com/SuvarnabhumiSeafoodBuffet399/
You pretty much catch your own shrimp and grill it in front of you. Two people from our party got sick for 2 weeks after eating there.
We were thinking what did they ate that we didn't and the conclusion was raw oysters.

I have 2 items that I will not eat while in Thailand. Crabs and oysters. Other than these two items, I've been eating pretty much everything and I'm yet to get sick.

We had a dinner two nights in a row at a pop up street food restaurant on a side walk by Ibis hotel on Sukhumvit. One of the best street food we had on our last trip to BKK. After finishing our dinner on a last night we went to see what's behind that 'blue tarp'. Apparently there was a dish-washing room Big basin with standing water, and a guy washing the plates. I can tell you that if we saw it before we ordered the food, we probably wouldn't be eating there. But the food was delicious. Each of us had at least two plates of food.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
This Corona virus scare out of China, with victims found in other Asian countries including Thailand, makes you wonder about these live food markets.

They suspect it originated in markets where live animals and animal parts and seafood were being hawked.

Remember the bird flu was suspected of similar original, where they kept live fowl and then killed then right before preparation.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
This Corona virus scare out of China, with victims found in other Asian countries including Thailand,

One of the two reported cases, Ash Sorley (Koh Phi Phi, evacuated to Phuket) has been confirmed as NOT having the Corona Virus. Not sure about the second reported case.

That said, given the arrivals for CNY (16,000 per day, from China and/or southern China per authorities), Thai authorities are expressing concern. Passengers are being screened and some are quarantined.

Last edited by transpac; Jan 21, 2020 at 6:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.