Wiki Posts
Search

Where to change $$ @ CNX?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Where to change $$ @ CNX?

title pretty much says it all, wheres the best place at the airport to change money where the rate is best USD to THB?

I imagine its like BKK where it didnt matter if you used an ATM or changed ca$h it was the same in the end
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:12 pm

It matters a bit and airports are usually the worst place to change money, but not if you use an ATM card that rebates all ATM fees.

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

-David
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It matters a bit and airports are usually the worst place to change money, but not if you use an ATM card that rebates all ATM fees.

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

-David
thx, but at BKK the other year thats what I did but after all was said and done I would have ended up with the same amount had I used ca$h. At BKK in the basement it ended up being where youd get a better rate, at least I got that when I exchanged back my left over THB.

@ BKK the rates were all over the place, by each counter/bank. Was hoping someone who chime in with the name and location of the best place to do the exchange @ CNX, like its detailed in another thread for BKK

Although I will have a 2 hr layover and flying in Biz, coming off a 380 I dont want to chance a line miles long as it was the last time for Passport control @ BKK just to save a couple of bucks, yet dont want to visit a bunch of counters @ CNX to find out which is a better place if I can help it, and since I was told Ca$h is needed for taxis @ CNX unlike BKK , no choice but to change at the airport. Could be my bank may offer a decent rate over here but hasnt in most cases in the past. And yes I get back all fees when using an ATM, but not all banks specify what their fee is so I end up having to wait and wait till my bank finally credits it back to me
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Despite being an "international" airport, CNX is a very small airport - you won't find a "good place" to change money. Best to just change a few dollars into THB at the airport for the taxi and change the rest after you get to town.

Since you're staying at Le Meridien, SuperRich (which on most days offers the best exchange rate in town) is within walking distance of your hotel (i.e., about 10 mins walk down the road.)
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:56 pm

Wow, that sounds overly complicated craz. Have you considered going with a free Schwab One or Fidelity CMA account?

I'm pretty sure the ATMs are after immigration and customs.

-David
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Wow, that sounds overly complicated craz. Have you considered going with a free Schwab One or Fidelity CMA account?

I'm pretty sure the ATMs are after immigration and customs.

-David

again Im fully covered with my Citi Debit Card = Citi will refund me any and all fees charged on any ATM withdrawl, but thats only 1/2 the problem, as getting a good rate is the other 1/2.

In general the places that say "No Commission Fees' usually have a worse exchange rate so youd be better off had you paid a commission
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Despite being an "international" airport, CNX is a very small airport - you won't find a "good place" to change money. Best to just change a few dollars into THB at the airport for the taxi and change the rest after you get to town.

Since you're staying at Le Meridien, SuperRich (which on most days offers the best exchange rate in town) is within walking distance of your hotel (i.e., about 10 mins walk down the road.)
Thx, do you know if Id be better off changing it during my 2 hr layover @ BKK rather then CNX?

also when you say down the road from The LeM in which direction? and if I just walked out the main door onto Chang Klan Rd do I go Right or Left?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by craz
Thx, do you know if Id be better off changing it during my 2 hr layover @ BKK rather then CNX?

also when you say down the road from The LeM in which direction? and if I just walked out the main door onto Chang Klan Rd do I go Right or Left?
If your layover is in the restricted security area of BKK (and I suspect it is) then there is no deal to be had at BKK.

The main entrance to LM faces Loi Kroh Rd (it's basically at the intersection of Loi Kroh and Changklan.)

Walk out the main door onto Loi Kroh Rd, turn right. It's about half way down the street on the way to Thapae Gate, left hand side of the street as you walk toward the moat. Address is 34/4 Loi Kroh Rd. (There's more than one location but that's the closest to your hotel.)

Super Rich Money Exchange (Chiang Mai)
Akazeus likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:41 am

. . . and since I was told Ca$h is needed for taxis @ CNX unlike BKK , no choice but to change at the airport.
Grab is available in Chiang Mai (although I wasn't at the airport) with no cash required, so that could be an option.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If you have a credit card where the issuer of the card will refund the exorbitant Thai ATM fees, by all means just withdraw cash from an ATM at BKK airport or wait until you get to CNX. The difference in exchange rate is negligible and hardly worth bringing cash amounts to Thailand for, let alone searching for the "best" currency exchange booth.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
If you have a credit card where the issuer of the card will refund the exorbitant Thai ATM fees, by all means just withdraw cash from an ATM at BKK airport or wait until you get to CNX. The difference in exchange rate is negligible and hardly worth bringing cash amounts to Thailand for, let alone searching for the "best" currency exchange booth.
As I said above my DC will cover me but it will take awhile till its refunded and I hate having to keep track to make sute it was refunded, since from previous history at times I had to keep reminding them and it took over a month till it was finally taken care of. (eg Im still waiting well over a week for that same bank to refund me for Robbing me, yes an actual Bank Robbery = the bank robbed me = the ATM deducted the amount I wanted to get in cash w/o having given me the cash and yes the ATM was counted and found to have an extra $600, yes I will eventually get the money that the bank stole from me back but who needs to keep keeping track)

If a gal of gas is say 5 cents cheaper a mile or so away Im not gonna drive out of my way to get it there, however if Im gonna be driving by that station anyways why not get the gas there and save what I can? Thats also why I said its not worth it to me to leave airside in order to get the best rate @ BKK. Some airports its known you get a much better rate once thru C&I, others airside is a complete rip-off, so why not if theres no skin off my back get a better rate if possible
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If your layover is in the restricted security area of BKK (and I suspect it is) then there is no deal to be had at BKK.

The main entrance to LM faces Loi Kroh Rd (it's basically at the intersection of Loi Kroh and Changklan.)

Walk out the main door onto Loi Kroh Rd, turn right. It's about half way down the street on the way to Thapae Gate, left hand side of the street as you walk toward the moat. Address is 34/4 Loi Kroh Rd. (There's more than one location but that's the closest to your hotel.)

Super Rich Money Exchange (Chiang Mai)
Just wanted to say Thanks for the info, turns out I have to be on Changklan about a 10 min walk near The Shangri-la so Id go to Super 1st then back track of cause after checking out the Gate area
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:51 pm

again Im fully covered with my Citi Debit Card = Citi will refund me any and all fees charged on any ATM withdrawl, but thats only 1/2 the problem, as getting a good rate is the other 1/2.
I don't think I've heard anybody mention that the Citi debit card has those features. Does it depend on your account type with Citibank?

The only thing I can find is a notice that they waive ATM fees for Citi Gold accounts but that forex fees may apply. If the exchange rates are bad or this hidden fees buried in the rates, you might consider one of the two accounts I mentioned previously. They have zero minimums, zero account fees and offer reasonable exchange rates, You won't suck out every last salung with them, but they are hassle free and not rip offs.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 11, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I don't think I've heard anybody mention that the Citi debit card has those features. Does it depend on your account type with Citibank?

The only thing I can find is a notice that they waive ATM fees for Citi Gold accounts but that forex fees may apply. If the exchange rates are bad or this hidden fees buried in the rates, you might consider one of the two accounts I mentioned previously. They have zero minimums, zero account fees and offer reasonable exchange rates, You won't suck out every last salung with them, but they are hassle free and not rip offs.

-David

yes Im a Citi Gold l. So theres $0 fees for me no matter what ATM I use or where its located and I get 100% refund on any all fees that are assessed = that the ATM issuer hits me with and not any % that MC or VISA tags on. But Id say close to everytime I used an ATM for ca$h I got almost the rate that XE.com was showing, of cause if the charge doesnt go right thru it can be more or less then what XE was at the time I got the ca$h

So to be clear Citi doesnt charge me anything on their end and they refund any and all fees that the ATM issuing bank charged and I always found using my CCs that MC and VISA were usually spot on with the rate as long as the charge went right thru to my CC

I was in PRG,LJU,BUD,WAW,TLV the past couple of months and used an ATM just once @ TLV since I had to repay someone there in sheks, everything else went onto my CCs. Yes I used public transport in all (except TLV had a car rental) and was always able to get tkts with my CC, sometimes it wasnt so easy but ended up getting it

Last edited by craz; Nov 12, 2019 at 5:20 am
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both local bank FX and ATMs at CNX.

The 220 thb on 15,000 thb seems minor, esp. if you get it refunded. Exchange rates are up to Visa or MC via ATM debit card usage. Otherwise, just change $100 USD, spread is ~ 40 satang these days: 30.07/30.47 (BBL).

You could add your CC to your Grab account and use GrabCar to get into the city, then change money there.

https://www.thai.lt/blog/1033-curren...al-airport-cnx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.