Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

buying a cellular tablet /phablet in Bangkok

Old Oct 7, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat

I'm thinking of buying a small tablet or a phablet that is bigger than my samsung s8+ for use while I'm out and about using google maps, etc. due to my poor eyesight. Any idea of cost (?MBK) and suggestions for low cost reliable ones?
Old Oct 7, 19, 3:00 pm

Completely depends on the specs.

Low cost = prepare to be completely frustrated at how everything is much slower than your flagship phone.
Old Oct 7, 19, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg View Post
Completely depends on the specs.

Low cost = prepare to be completely frustrated at how everything is much slower than your flagship phone.
So I'm thinking 2-3 hundred usd. Mostly just to be used for maps, maybe translation (google translate) when I'm out and about (otherwise will generally use my phone) - so with a reasonable sim card shouldn't I be able to do this with not a lot of ram or memory? (don't think tablets generally have sd card slots or do they)
Old Oct 7, 19, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
So I'm thinking 2-3 hundred usd. Mostly just to be used for maps, maybe translation (google translate) when I'm out and about (otherwise will generally use my phone) - so with a reasonable sim card shouldn't I be able to do this with not a lot of ram or memory? (don't think tablets generally have sd card slots or do they)
As you said you might be able to find a second hand one at MBK. But you will need to do some searching. There are a lot of shops.

The prices should be laid out with a small sticker but don't forget you can/must negotiate. Do you speak Thai or have someone who speaks Thai? That would certainly with this process.

Good luck!
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Buy a real new one with a warranty where you live. A new iPad isn't a lot more than the $300 price. It will be real and not fail in a week.
Old Oct 8, 19, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

I wasn't thinking of used, nor an ipad (sorry should have mentioned I'm an android type).

The reason I was thinking of buying overseas is that there seem to be a lot more choices (especially for cellular) in the small tablet/phablet world than are available in the US. Of course I'd have to contend with lack of warranty and less reliable online info (I think) regarding reviews of the product.
Old Oct 8, 19, 3:47 pm

I wasn't thinking of used, nor an ipad (sorry should have mentioned I'm an android type).

The reason I was thinking of buying overseas is that there seem to be a lot more choices (especially for cellular) in the small tablet/phablet world than are available in the US. Of course I'd have to contend with lack of warranty and less reliable online info (I think) regarding reviews of the product.
Electronics are in general not cheaper in Thailand than the US, quite the contrary. The electronics in Thailand that is cheaper is mostly junk-electronics from China that will either not work well, or will not work well for long, and which shops in the US won't import and sell because they don't want to deal with all the failures they have to handle under the warranty period. There are a few exceptions of course, but you need to know what brands are ok (e.g., Xiaomi), and even then, the savings are not big.

Regarding sim card for the tablet, if you carry your S8+ with you anyway, just enable "hotspot" mode on it and let the tablet connect to the wifi network your S8+'s hotspot creates. Cheaper and easier.
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eqeqeqx View Post
Electronics are in general not cheaper in Thailand than the US, quite the contrary. The electronics in Thailand that is cheaper is mostly junk-electronics from China that will either not work well, or will not work well for long, and which shops in the US won't import and sell because they don't want to deal with all the failures they have to handle under the warranty period. There are a few exceptions of course, but you need to know what brands are ok (e.g., Xiaomi), and even then, the savings are not big.

Regarding sim card for the tablet, if you carry your S8+ with you anyway, just enable "hotspot" mode on it and let the tablet connect to the wifi network your S8+'s hotspot creates. Cheaper and easier.
Thanks - Xiaomi isn't sold in the US AFAIK so thanks for the idea. Definetly not trying to buy an ipad (ipad mini cell I priced today was $529 usd! and only galaxy 8 inch tab was available, but not really without a contract _) so it really is slim pickings for the cell tablet area ....
Old Oct 8, 19, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Need a few basics here....

budget
screen size
Android or iOS
for use in other countries (verify 3G/4G frequencies)

Sounds like you need/want 4G (SIM for mobile data)?

I'd narrow down your requirements a bit, then look on Lazada (can order COD for delivery to a hotel or condo), or GearBest (Chuwi or Teclast: China).

I use Xiaomi phones (Android One: Mi A1 and Mi A2: purchased here); I have a Teclast T10 tablet (purchased from GearBest.

Tablets really aren't a thing here anymore.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sa...2h6Jd&search=1

https://www.gearbest.com/tablets/pp_...ml?wid=2000001

https://www.jaymartstore.com/Product...10039928--9245

I wouldn't "go to MBK" (although Jaymart do have shops there), or purchase a 2nd hand tablet.

Yes, electronics here (PC/phone) are more expensive here than in the U.S., Very generally speaking +25%.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks, the issue isn't that I think it's cheaper it is that basically there is almost no choice here only 1 apple (which I don't want) and 1 android I can find - and basically have to be attached to a carrier.

I was looking at 8" android just to use for maps, etc. while I'm out b/c even a 6" screen phone is sometimes a problem for my eyes without enlarging it so much that there is very little on the screen, so Ladaza has a Samsung A tab that is similiar in price to one I could buy here, but the Thai one has a SD card and the US one does not.
I'll be in a condo so if I have it delivered there COD does that have to be cash or could I use a credit card? Since you said not to use MBK I guess the shops there that sell new tablets might not be so honest????

I'll check out your other links too. I really appreciate the help.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
What is a phablet?
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
What is a phablet?
Basically a very large phone that is in between a phone and a tablet.
Old Oct 9, 19, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

COD means Cash on delivery. Cash. (IME, deliveries are made by an assortment of services: Kerry, LexExpress, ThaiPost. They don't accept credit cards for COD deliveries.)

You can order on Lazada using a credit card. Up to you.

Brand retailers' shops in MBK, and elsewhere are trustworthy. So Jaymart or Samsung, or Powerbuy, shops in MBK would be fine. Don't go to one of the counter/box shops - these are fine for the lowest price, as long as you know what you're doing.

Using your S8+ as a hotspot to facilitate mobile connectivity to a WiFi-only tablet is an option. Kludgy, but an option.

That Samsung Tab A8 LTE is available for 4,690-4,990 THB, but it does have some limitations (2 GB ROM for one). But given your relatively light-weight application requirements it should suffice.

https://www.samsung.com/th/tablets/g...M-T295NZKATHL/

Frequency-wise it is fine for Thailand, even supports LTE/Band 4 so would work in the U.S. on T-Mo.
Old Oct 9, 19, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Basically a very large phone that is in between a phone and a tablet.
I remember that word in print a few years ago, but have never heard it spoken!
estnet likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac View Post
COD means Cash on delivery. Cash. (IME, deliveries are made by an assortment of services: Kerry, LexExpress, ThaiPost. They don't accept credit cards for COD deliveries.)

You can order on Lazada using a credit card. Up to you.

Brand retailers' shops in MBK, and elsewhere are trustworthy. So Jaymart or Samsung, or Powerbuy, shops in MBK would be fine. Don't go to one of the counter/box shops - these are fine for the lowest price, as long as you know what you're doing.

Using your S8+ as a hotspot to facilitate mobile connectivity to a WiFi-only tablet is an option. Kludgy, but an option.

That Samsung Tab A8 LTE is available for 4,690-4,990 THB, but it does have some limitations (2 GB ROM for one). But given your relatively light-weight application requirements it should suffice.

https://www.samsung.com/th/tablets/g...M-T295NZKATHL/

Frequency-wise it is fine for Thailand, even supports LTE/Band 4 so would work in the U.S. on T-Mo.
Thank you again for such complete info -
I basically travel to Thailand, Malaysia, Japan sometimes Vietnam (where sim cards were very cheap for data) so I can check the bands - I've used tmo and fi in the past but each have their own issues so I'm looking at alternatives like just using local sim (or continue using fi if I wish).

Search this Thread