Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Transfer time SGN-BKK-RGN on seperate PNR's

Old Sep 23, 19, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold

Hi! I booked an OW from RGN back home after spending a week in Vietnam. I pieced together an itinerary leaving SGN on VietJet Air from SGN-BKK arriving 7:05 p.m. Next flight to RGN is the latest direct flight I could find @ 8:30 p.m. on PG 705 (Bangkok Airways).

I know it's pushing it at 1 hr 25 min - do I have any shot at making my connection? No checked bags, I can run, flying economy. My OW from RGN is not until 6:35 p.m. the next day - I wanted to leave plenty of time for an early morning flight from BKK-RGN in case I misconnect. I probably should have booked the 8:45 a.m. flight the next day on Bangkok Airways, but I thought it was worth a shot to try and make it all the way to RGN the day before, just in case...

Any tips on connecting on two separate tickets with 1.25 hour connection time with a US passport? I'm NOT checking any bags, and flying solo. I can run pretty quickly if need be. I'm flying economy for both of these short flights (SGN-BKK and BKK-RGN) but J on JAL the next day. Bummer that I couldn't originate in BKK, but that's the game.

Oh - this is a Saturday in November. I'd imagine it would be busier. Pay for fastrack service? See if I can get PAL to change to the 8:45 a.m. flight the next morning? Not sure if I have a chance of making connection with no checked baggage or not. I assume I can check in online for Bangkok Airways to provide to security when I transit, which might be a bad assumption.

Last edited by pdxparse; Sep 23, 19 at 7:56 pm
Old Sep 24, 19, 2:19 am

https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html

will give you a chance.
Old Sep 24, 19, 5:17 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
There is no reason to stress/worry too much. Without luggage you will make it to the PG flight with plenty of time. 7-8 PM is a few hours before the midnight rush at BKK so I expect the airport to be calm and no significant lines for transfer security check. It is very easy and often quick to transfer at BKK like you are going to do.

There are PG transfer counters before the escalators leading you upstairs to document and security checks so get your BP there unless you already have it on your mobile phone.

Relax - you will be fine. I would have booked that PG flight without hesitation.
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:40 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Fairly sure you won't be able to do online check in for the BKK-RGN flight with PG (documentation, ie visa or e-visa approval, needs to be sighted)
I have done a similar transfer on a Saturday through to Yangon with the evening PG flight and made it.
As other suggestion consider a fast track meet and greet but hit the mid-concourse transit desk on arrival.

If you need any info on Yangon PM me (I live here)

Good luck
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by seavisionburma View Post
Fairly sure you won't be able to do online check in for the BKK-RGN flight with PG (documentation, ie visa or e-visa approval, needs to be sighted)
I have done a similar transfer on a Saturday through to Yangon with the evening PG flight and made it.
As other suggestion consider a fast track meet and greet but hit the mid-concourse transit desk on arrival.

If you need any info on Yangon PM me (I live here)

Good luck
Thanks for the advice! I actually changed my ticket to the 8:45 a.m. flight the next morning with PG. My return is actually on PG at 6:30 p.m. that same day, so I figure given the timing and multiple flights it shouldn't be much of an issue making the same day turn from BKK-RGN (Check in for JAL) - BKK-HND.

I get into RGN at 10 a.m. or so in the morning and flight isn't until 6:30 p.m. - any advice and spending they day or lounge access? I would be nice to be able to take a shower before my 6 p.m. flight. I have Priority Pass and am flyng J on PG/JAL on my return.
Old Sep 25, 19, 2:04 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
The main lounge (only lounge) at Mingalardon Airport (RGN) is the Mingalar Sky Lounge.
For Yangon, its pretty good. Only a couple of years old. Priority Pass accepted.

Good freshly cooked food options, basic bar with wines by the glass and basic spirits, beers etc. Lots of seating, plenty of power points, and a spa down the other end.
Can't recall if they have showers - do you want me to find out? As I can call them to check.

For arrival at 10.00am and a late afternoon check in - I'd suggest going downtown. Have lunch at one of the better heritage restaurants.

To kill an hour or two - find the nearest major shopping mall (eg Junction City, Myanmar Plaza, etc) and find the "Tony Tun Tun" chain beauty salon. Get a hairwash with head, arm, shoulder massage and relax for less than $6. Or similar for a full foot/leg massage. The whole lot for around $10 and a relaxing couple of hours - bargain.

So you have nothing else on for the half day in Yangon - just arriving morning and departing evening? Let me know what kind of things you are interested in and I'll give you more specific suggestions

Cheers
Old Sep 25, 19, 2:59 am

Just checked with the lounge. They have showers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: