Search

2 step verification and Schwab while living in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by riclagriclag
Didn't I just tell you to google it !
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/30/...-app-shut-down
I actually read that article last December, but it isn't remotely definitive or official. Furthermore, if Google does kill Hangouts, I'd be willing to bet that they replace it with something useful. Retreating from the market is illogical.
riclagriclag likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like I will be giving them permission to txt me. . I asked the Ting network rep. about the prefix the banks must use to send a txt.He said they have to add a 1 in front of my number.,I heard of some banks totally anal about sending txt internationally.
Honestly, you're all over the map, so much so that I can't follow you.

You need to research each finserv company's (which you use: Schwab, Cap1, BofA, et al) security methods and then set up the channel(s) for those, which will work from Thailand.

Ting might work, who knows? I think they're an MVNO, but now exclusive to Verizon, so who knows what that means? Their phone may not even work here. T-Mobile definitely will. If you use T-Mo, or Ting, or whatever, the bank will not be sending an SMS internationally - they will be sending it to your 10-digit U.S. number. The provider will deliver the SMS to you while you are roaming.

BofA offers the SecureID card, and they support SMS, which gets delivered here in Thailand roaming on T-Mobile. Just recently I was able to get two-step SMS from BofA on GV, where previously this never worked.

Good luck.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Honestly, you're all over the map, so much so that I can't follow you.

You need to research each finserv company's (which you use: Schwab, Cap1, BofA, et al) security methods and then set up the channel(s) for those, which will work from Thailand.

Ting might work, who knows? I think they're an MVNO, but now exclusive to Verizon, so who knows what that means? Their phone may not even work here. T-Mobile definitely will. If you use T-Mo, or Ting, or whatever, the bank will not be sending an SMS internationally - they will be sending it to your 10-digit U.S. number. The provider will deliver the SMS to you while you are roaming.

BofA offers the SecureID card, and they support SMS, which gets delivered here in Thailand roaming on T-Mobile. Just recently I was able to get two-step SMS from BofA on GV, where previously this never worked.

Good luck.
I have the B of A safepass card to transfer money but using them is expensive compared to free with the Schwab ATM access,Cap One is free except the other bank fee,you must pay for their A.TM. .. I have a old TMobile flip phone which Ting guaranties will work with their sim card in Thailand.,its ,GSM, unlocked... You have said that the Bank will use my number and the Ting network will deliver the txt., I didn't know that was they way it worked.. The Ting guy said the bank had to put the 1 in front of the 10 digits. . Hopefully your right. . I have been researching this for many months.Looks like I will be giving Schwab and Capital One permission to send txt alerts. .I'm not sure why they would txt other than to send a code to verify who they are communicating with ,correct me if I'm wrong
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a old TMobile flip phone which Ting guaranties will work with their sim card in Thailand.,its ,GSM, unlocked...

Ting dropped T-Mo this week, so who knows what might work? Maybe until Dec. 19, 2020? So perhaps plan accordingly.

Ting is dropping support for GSM-only phones and T-Mobile, switching to Verizon

Ting Mobile has been a popular MVNO carrier for years. Much like Google Fi, it's oriented towards people who don't use a lot of cellular data, with the option to mix-and-match tiers for minutes, texts, and data usage. A major strength for Ting has been the ability to use either a GSM or CDMA network, but that will soon go away.

Ting currently allows customers to use either GSM or CDMA SIM cards, even across different lines on the same account. GSM cards use T-Mobile's network, while CDMA cards use Sprint. However, Ting today announced that it's ending its partnership with T-Mobile, and all existing GSM SIM cards will stop working by December 19th, 2020.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...ng-to-verizon/
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Ting dropped T-Mo this week, so who knows what might work? Maybe until Dec. 19, 2020? So perhaps plan accordingly.

Ting is dropping support for GSM-only phones and T-Mobile, switching to Verizon

Ting Mobile has been a popular MVNO carrier for years. Much like Google Fi, it's oriented towards people who don't use a lot of cellular data, with the option to mix-and-match tiers for minutes, texts, and data usage. A major strength for Ting has been the ability to use either a GSM or CDMA network, but that will soon go away.

Ting currently allows customers to use either GSM or CDMA SIM cards, even across different lines on the same account. GSM cards use T-Mobile's network, while CDMA cards use Sprint. However, Ting today announced that it's ending its partnership with T-Mobile, and all existing GSM SIM cards will stop working by December 19th, 2020.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...ng-to-verizon/
I must call Ting ! Thanks for the info
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:36 am

Speaking of Schwab only, this topic seems to be "much ado about nothing". In 10+ years of managing my account overseas, I've never once been confronted with issues that I couldn't easily solve. One great thing about Schwab is that when technology breaks down, they reliably work wonders over the phone.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

double post

Last edited by riclagriclag; Jul 13, 2019 at 9:31 am
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:27 am
Original Poster

I just got off the phone with Ting and they are switching over to Verizon 12/20. The Ting guy said my model GSM flip phone will stop functioning .. He did offer a plan B.. He would send me a CDMA sim that I could put in my Iphone before the switch over and I can keep my phone number. Good news! I was planning on upgrading to a Iphone 7 .I'll use my 5s in place of the flip phone

Last edited by riclagriclag; Jul 13, 2019 at 9:33 am
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:46 am

No need for SMS with Schwab (or Capital One, or many other service providers).

Get a physical token, such as a YubiKey (www.yubico.com).

Or get a software token (i.e., an app on your phone).

Or use email.

From what I've read, physical or software tokens are more secure.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
You guys are missing my point ! Look at my post. It's asking about giving Schwab permission to txt me or any other bank,for that matter., Should I keep txt alerts off or on?
In the past I have been using GV but those days are coming to a end.. I would much prefer having the codes to verify who you are ,that are sent by email but thats changing as well . Look at Apple now , they are pushing a 2 step along with other institutions.. Schwab has voice verification, a device called a security token that you press and it gives you a number to add to your password.,secret questions and txt codes only sent through your registered phone. The only reason I like is that Schwab is Atm free they pay your fees domestic and international..My whole discussion is not being subjected to unnecessary scrutiny by the verification gods. .
ok look if you have an alternate way to get logged in to Schwab then you have your answer. And you don’t need a text message to log in to schwab. I you can use a call And not text to get the verification code.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Interesting topic as I plan to spend more time in SE Asia. I have an iPhone 7 Plus on T-Mobile and a Pixel 3XL on Fi.

Google Voice and Hangouts are separate apps. Google Voice isn't going anywhere. (yet)
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:21 pm

Just looked at Schwab's web site, they allow use of a software app (symantec VIP) for generating the token, which you append to your password when logging in.

No SMS needed at all there.

I've never had any difficulty accessing Schwab in Thailand or elsewhere. I use a normal US based t-mobile account. (transpec, what is the $3 a month plan you mentioned?)

Google Voice isn't going away. The hangouts app is going away at some point, the hangouts dialer replicates functionality in the google voice app. (though not sure about android, which used to require a separate dialer app, but I'm sure the functionality will still exist for GV.)

-David
riclagriclag likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Google Voice isn't going away. The hangouts app is going away at some point, the hangouts dialer replicates functionality in the google voice app. (though not sure about android, which used to require a separate dialer app, but I'm sure the functionality will still exist for GV.)
As I've noted upthread, I am curious about Google's voice chat aspirations and plans. Having 3 separate product teams performing overlapping functions is a recipe for chaos, but however it plays out, I can't imagine Google simply throwing in the towel (i.e. whatever they call it, we'll always have a viable solution...that works with our own phone numbers).

In any event, the following Quora response is one of the better explanations I've seen:

https://www.quora.com/Do-you-know-wh...e-to-the-other

Several posters have mentioned Fi. I used to be a fan, but I dropped it because it was hard (though not impossible) to get 4G data in China/HK/Macau, and I soon found that using my phone number with Hangouts Dialer on Wifi or Unicom 4G data was every bit as good as Fi for voice.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Just looked at Schwab's web site, they allow use of a software app (symantec VIP) for generating the token, which you append to your password when logging in.

No SMS needed at all there.

I've never had any difficulty accessing Schwab in Thailand or elsewhere. I use a normal US based t-mobile account. (transpec, what is the $3 a month plan you mentioned?)

-David
I have that device to log in.
Getting back to your no need to sms.So I can uncheck alerts by txt message? Also have you experienced having to contact Schwab by phone and having them txt you a code to verify who you are? I have

Last edited by riclagriclag; Jul 14, 2019 at 6:24 am
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:15 am

Also have you experienced having to contact Schwab by phone and having them txt you a code to verify who you are
Their phone people have NEVER asked me to play SMS games (they simply ask a few security questions). SMS and callbacks only seem to happen when using their automated system.
riclagriclag likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.