Reload this Page >

2 step verification and Schwab while living in Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 step verification and Schwab while living in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
If you download the Schwab app to your phone, you'll receive alerts directly to your phone through the app. (Looks like a text message but it isn't.) No need to worry about receiving text messages.

Works even when I have my Thai SIM card installed, which is not listed on my profile with Schwab.
LIH Prem and riclagriclag like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People, including the OP, seem to be conflating "verification" and "alerts".

Every FinServ company has different verification procedures: personal questions, SocSec, number reco, voice reco, token, OTP via SMS, email etc. For each company, it is best to research the options and plan accordingly. Drill down on any SMS procedures. And different procedures (transfers, bill payment, wire xfers, etc.) may require different verification options. ATM usage does not require verification, but it might result in some alerts.

Before moving to Thailand there is a whole checklist of items to cover, including telecoms and your various financial services companies, incl. credit cards. It may be simplest to port out an existing mobile (or fixed line) number from a post-paid service to a reliable pre-paid service. Then you don't have to change numbers at the banks. Obviously, verify international roaming partners and procedures before leaving. For now, T-Mobile seems both reliable and cost-effective (~$36/year plus local sales tax). but this plan may have some international limitations so research this well before committing. I would avoid MVNOs but that's just me. Who knows if a Ting/Verizon CDMA SIM will roam in Thailand in 2020? It should, but the transition might be rocky.

Alerts can come via various means: email, SMS, app. Some of these simply require a data connection (WiFi or mobile data) while SMS requires a roaming signal (unless your provider supports WiFi calling - some in the U.S. do, DTAC supports WiFi calling here, and it works well for me when traveling). Apps, and other mobile devices (tablets, notebook PCs), should be registered on the device before leaving the U.S.

Also, remember to set up standing wire transfer orders in person before leaving. AFAIK, Schwab offers fee-free SWIFT transfers, but not sure how these are initiated? I'd recommend a Bangkok Bank account be set up in the foreigner's name ONLY, but this does some present some logistics issues as the account must be set up first. Open the account in a branch closest to where you think you might reside, and consider a mall branch as these are open extended days/hours, even on some holidays.

You will probably need a VPN in order to access some/all of the sites so make sure you sort that out as well.

Just recently even T-Mobile requires an SMS OTP just to manage my account, although they do offer the 3-question option, but set that up before you leave.

Definitely get a Google Voice number before leaving. I'd also recommend Talkatone, free as well.
riclagriclag likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My Schwab withdrawal strategy is to use ATMs; my default limit is $1,000 per day, but if I need to raise it for a 24 hour period, a 2 minute phone call is all it takes. I withdraw from ICBC CDM machines, and instantly deposit into my ICBC account; the entire drill takes less than a minute (unless I'm moving a lot of money). While it's true that Schwab does free SWIFT wires, receiving foreign currency in a Chinese bank account is a major pita (i.e. requires a branch visit, a boatload of forms, and sometimes a justification for the wire). I wouldn't be surprised if other countries in Asia had similar hurdles.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
While it's true that Schwab does free SWIFT wires, receiving foreign currency in a Chinese bank account is a major pita (i.e. requires a branch visit, a boatload of forms, and sometimes a justification for the wire). I wouldn't be surprised if other countries in Asia had similar hurdles.

I was specifically addressing the OP, and Thailand, which is, of course, relevant to this thread/sub-forum, while circumstances in China are not.

There are no hurdles when transferring funds from the U.S. to Thailand. Some forms of extensions of stay (based on retirement, or marriage) may require monthly qualifying foreign transfers (or lump-sum cash on deposit).
riclagriclag likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

I would require $2k per month and at times 2.5 per month. It looks like I would be going to the atm, either twice or on occasion three times.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac

Every FinServ company has different verification procedures: personal questions, SocSec, number reco, voice reco, token, OTP via SMS, email etc. For each company, it is best to research the options and plan accordingly. Drill down on any SMS procedures. And different procedures (transfers, bill payment, wire xfers, etc.) may require different verification options. ATM usage does not require verification, but it might result in some alerts.

Before moving to Thailand there is a whole checklist of items to cover, including telecoms and your various financial services companies, incl. credit cards. It may be simplest to port out an existing mobile (or fixed line) number from a post-paid service to a reliable pre-paid service. Then you don't have to change numbers at the banks. Obviously, verify international roaming partners and procedures before leaving. For now, T-Mobile seems both reliable and cost-effective (~$36/year plus local sales tax). but this plan may have some international limitations so research this well before committing. I would avoid MVNOs but that's just me. Who knows if a Ting/Verizon CDMA SIM will roam in Thailand in 2020? It should, but the transition might be rocky.

Alerts can come via various means: email, SMS, app. Some of these simply require a data connection (WiFi or mobile data) while SMS requires a roaming signal (unless your provider supports WiFi calling - some in the U.S. do, DTAC supports WiFi calling here, and it works well for me when traveling). Apps, and other mobile devices (tablets, notebook PCs), should be registered on the device before leaving the U.S.

Also, remember to set up standing wire transfer orders in person before leaving. AFAIK, Schwab offers fee-free SWIFT transfers, but not sure how these are initiated? I'd recommend a Bangkok Bank account be set up in the foreigner's name ONLY, but this does some present some logistics issues as the account must be set up first. Open the account in a branch closest to where you think you might reside, and consider a mall branch as these are open extended days/hours, even on some holidays.

You will probably need a VPN in order to access some/all of the sites so make sure you sort that out as well.

Just recently even T-Mobile requires an SMS OTP just to manage my account, although they do offer the 3-question option, but set that up before you leave.

Definitely get a Google Voice number before leaving. I'd also recommend Talkatone, free as well.
.Can you explain this better
Thanks
"It may be simplest to port out an existing mobile (or fixed line) number from a post-paid service to a reliable pre-paid service. Then you don't have to change numbers at the banks".
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riclagriclag
I would require $2k per month and at times 2.5 per month. It looks like I would be going to the atm, either twice or on occasion three times.
Yeah, or just make one single monthly SWIFT transfer.

Do you know if you have any financial requirements for your extension of stay? For marriage, I think it is 40,000 THB in monthly income locally ( or qualifying foreign transfers ) or 400,000 THB on deposit for some period. I assume you have arranged the proper visa?

You can familiarize yourself with the porting process, but simply put, you can "move" an existing number from one service provider to another.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

I also have DTac sim . I use it when I'm there as well.I have the Bangkok bank account. In the past I set up my BofA checking account(with a safepass card) to send money to the New York branch of Bangkok Bank ,which was great,it was considered a domestic transfer(ach) even though it ends up in the Thai branch in three days.and cheap$15..Now soon,they want it changed to a swift and it will be over $30 with fees between the two banks,too expensive.I have the google voice and have used that in the past but like I said some of my banks (B of A and Synchrony won't honor a VoIP network.I will take your advise on the set up of Schwab and Cap One wire transfers. .
The Ting guy is sending a CDMA sim to me for when it switches over ,he said I'll be able to keep the same number.... Looking forward to your advise on the porting
Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Yeah, or just make one single monthly SWIFT transfer.

Do you know if you have any financial requirements for your extension of stay? For marriage, I think it is 40,000 THB in monthly income locally ( or qualifying foreign transfers ) or 400,000 THB on deposit for some period. I assume you have arranged the proper visa?

You can familiarize yourself with the porting process, but simply put, you can "move" an existing number from one service provider to another.
Yup I have the 400k in there seasoning almost 2 months now.Even though its off topic I will go on a SETV not a Non O . I will stop at the US embassy,get the affidavid have it translated and brought over to the Thai ministry. I will get married at the Amphor(city office) .Once thats done I will go to the IO to apply for a marriage visa at the same time converting the SETV(single entry tourist visa)

Last edited by riclagriclag; Jul 15, 2019 at 12:34 am
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:57 am
Original Poster

My Schwab withdrawal strategy is to use ATMs; my default limit is $1,000 per day, but if I need to raise it for a 24 hour period, a 2 minute phone call is all it takes. I withdraw from ICBC CDM machines, and instantly deposit into my ICBC account; the entire drill takes less than a minute (unless I'm moving a lot of money). While it's true that Schwab does free SWIFT wires, receiving foreign currency in a Chinese bank account is a major pita (i.e. requires a branch visit, a boatload of forms, and sometimes a justification for the wire). I wouldn't be surprised if other countries in Asia had similar hurdles.
I just looked on CS site(request a wire transfer form) the fee is $25 to a use swift
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just looked on CS site(request a wire transfer form) the fee is $25 to a use swift

Maybe call Schwab to verify SWIFT fees? I'm not a Schwab customer but have been led to believe by friends who are that SWIFT fees are zero, at least for them. YMMV. If so, then the ATM strategy might be best for you.

The BBL/NYC/ACH transfer option was supposed to go away on 1 April 2019, but it was extended month-month while the SocSec IDD and IAT programs are implemented. It was extended by BBL until 1 July 2019, and given that transfers are still going through as of yesterday, maybe until 1 August 2019?

Establishing a standing wire transfer order, in person before you leave, is still a good idea, even if you never use it. Setting one up remotely can be challenging.

One final note, make sure you, or someone, has filed a valid TM30 for you BEFORE going to Immigration for any sort of service, like the Extension of Stay based on Marriage. This is a requirement which has only been more universally enforced.
riclagriclag likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Maybe call Schwab to verify SWIFT fees? I'm not a Schwab customer but have been led to believe by friends who are that SWIFT fees are zero, at least for them. YMMV. If so, then the ATM strategy might be best for you.

The BBL/NYC/ACH transfer option was supposed to go away on 1 April 2019, but it was extended month-month while the SocSec IDD and IAT programs are implemented. It was extended by BBL until 1 July 2019, and given that transfers are still going through as of yesterday, maybe until 1 August 2019?

Establishing a standing wire transfer order, in person before you leave, is still a good idea, even if you never use it. Setting one up remotely can be challenging.

One final note, make sure you, or someone, has filed a valid TM30 for you BEFORE going to Immigration for any sort of service, like the Extension of Stay based on Marriage. This is a requirement which has only been more universally enforced.
That tm 30 is for reporting where your staying I' believe ! I usually go the next day when I arrive in Sakon Nakhon
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

I use a combination of:

Google Voice
T-Mobile ($3/month)
Talkatone
SecureID Card
Fingerprint
email

For T-Mo, you'll have to enable international roaming. I connect here on AIS/2G for T-Mo purposes, and SMSes are delivered reliably.

You should consider porting some of your current numbers out to T-Mo, GV, etc.

You may have to use a VPN to access your accounts.

Some entities, like CPB.GOV, deliver OTP SMSes to Thai mobiles.
I called Tmobile that $3 plan is only domestic the rep said. The cheapest plan is $60
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I called Tmobile that $3 plan is only domestic the rep said. The cheapest plan is $60
Why do you want a roaming plan? If roaming is important to you, Fi is a pretty good deal, but as I mentioned above, data is so cheap these days that you can probably come in at under $20 on your own.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Why do you want a roaming plan? If roaming is important to you, Fi is a pretty good deal, but as I mentioned above, data is so cheap these days that you can probably come in at under $20 on your own.
Don't ya have to have roaming if your only using it out of the country? I don;t want data I can use wifi ! I just want the phone# attached to a real network and not a voiP.. On several occations I had issues with banks and credit card companies while out of the country,,locking my card and one blocking access to their website( to many attempt to log in). I also lost my Viber of two years because they coudn't connect to the phone number I signed up with..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.