Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Is it worth doing Phuket and Krabi or all phuket

Old Jul 8, 19, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum | HH Diamond | SPG Gold

Doing 7 days in Thailand as part of our honeymoon asia trip.
Did some research but it seems like all the previous threads are asking which one is better. We have decided on Phuket but is there any real reason to visit both ?

I can't decide if all 7 days in Phuket would be better or if Phuket 4 days and Krabi 3 days would be more ideal.

Looking to relax sit on the beach, island hop and have things to do like sightsee etc which is why we decided on Phuket over Krabi if it came down to a either or situation. Both Im curious if there's any real reason to visit both ?

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA DL HH
If you want to relax on the beach then why both? Stay in Phuket, it will save you a lot of nerves during the Krabi transit. One thing that I don't like about Thailand is the ground transportation. Always lottery if you get to your next destination.
Old Jul 8, 19, 3:01 pm

It would be silly to visit both on a 7 day trip.

I think a lot of honeymooners do a few days up in the mountains of Chiang Mai then a few days at the beaches in Phuket. One cool thing about that is that you can skip Bangkok entirely.
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg View Post
It would be silly to visit both on a 7 day trip.

I think a lot of honeymooners do a few days up in the mountains of Chiang Mai then a few days at the beaches in Phuket. One cool thing about that is that you can skip Bangkok entirely.
given all the other cities we will be visiting during the 20 days in Asia. I think it would be too much traveling for only 3 days in Chiang mai.

Thats part of the reason I considered both Krabi and Phuket as they are close but seem to be a little different.

Old Jul 9, 19, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
They're both overcrowded, especially in high season, but cocooning at a high-end place is still do-able. The really famous beaches like Hat Rai Leh or Maya Bay get a real stream of tour groups. Patong has lots of hotels in the vicinity but isn't bad now that the military government has cracked down on all the vendor encroachments (BTW, DO NOT rent a jet ski while there).
Old Jul 9, 19, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor View Post
given all the other cities we will be visiting during the 20 days in Asia. I think it would be too much traveling for only 3 days in Chiang mai.

Thats part of the reason I considered both Krabi and Phuket as they are close but seem to be a little different.
We have no idea what your travel plans are, but I just want to make sure that you know Chiang Mai has an international airport, Phuket has an international airport and the two cities are connected by non-stop flights. Krabi also has an international airport. So your flight options are pretty good. Again, we have no idea where you will be before Thailand and after Thailand.
Old Jul 9, 19, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg View Post
We have no idea what your travel plans are, but I just want to make sure that you know Chiang Mai has an international airport, Phuket has an international airport and the two cities are connected by non-stop flights. Krabi also has an international airport. So your flight options are pretty good. Again, we have no idea where you will be before Thailand and after Thailand.

Debating the best use of my time in Thailand in June. I understand itís the rainy season and can only hope for the best.

this is my rough itinerary. I have the long haul flights booked in ANA F awards and the SIN-NRT-IAD with a stopover in Tokyo. Nothing else hasnít been booked. The return is 21 days after departure.

JFK-HND-KUL (ANA)
4 days in KUL
KUL-HKT
7 days in Thailand
HKT - SIN
4 nights in Singapore
SIN-NRT (ANA)
3 nights in Tokyo
NRT-IAD (ANA)
Old Jul 9, 19, 9:48 am

Ko Samui should have less rain in June and also has an international airport. Flights might cost a bit more though due to Bangkok airways (good airline though).
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Is Krabi it Phuket a better base for island hopping ?

which would be better for sightseeing as well ?
Old Jul 9, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS - MVP, Star Citizen - Concierge/Subscriber
I went to Railay in April 2018 and was a huge fan. It has dramatic cliffs and a nice beach one the western side but requires a boat to get to from Krabi.
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
I think you can get to Ko Phi Phi from either, assuming the water is not too choppy. OTOH, some of it can get really jammed during high season.

Here's Maya Bay on a day in Feb. 2015

And another. Probably even more crowded now

My Krabi trip was pre-digital cameras and I'm so glad I saw it then, but you have the same dynamic over at Hat Rai Leh, i.e. a real conveyor belt of groups. Maybe you can shell out for your own boat and go early or late to avoid the groups as best you can, but these places are "found" (as is Phi Phi Don, another rude jolt from the same 2015 trip that I'm glad I saw and hiked in 1995).

The beach chase has moved on through Ko Chang and Ko Lanta and well out into Trang province and a few spots on the eastern seaboard. They can't even keep the national parks like Ko Samui from getting overdeveloped.

With Patong you got more sand, thanks in part to the military government

Sorry to be the Simon Cowell here, but it's not totally like it is in the postcards or "The Beach."

Last edited by RustyC; Jul 10, 19 at 1:55 am
Old Jul 10, 19, 10:52 pm

Stick to Phuket, as said the transport is nerve racking and plenty of options to visit the outlying islands from Phuket, either north or south of the island.

Phi Phi is not what is was and Maya Bay is closed for a few years, think they just take you on a boat to the entrance now.

Patong is the worst place to stay on Phuket, north west is more upmarket and good for boats out to Phang Nga or Koh Yai Noi (bike nature tour). Going south Karon and Kata more family orientated but longer journey to get to the marinas/piers. Nai Harn has a nice beach and you can catch the boats from Chalong Pier.

Other sightseeing on Phuket - Elephant sanctuary (there are only 2 ethical ones), Phuket Town, Big Buddha, Wat Chalong.

Rain - had a fair few short heavy storms beginning of June but now back to lack of rain for a few weeks.
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cyan123 View Post
Stick to Phuket, as said the transport is nerve racking and plenty of options to visit the outlying islands from Phuket, either north or south of the island.

Phi Phi is not what is was and Maya Bay is closed for a few years, think they just take you on a boat to the entrance now.

Patong is the worst place to stay on Phuket, north west is more upmarket and good for boats out to Phang Nga or Koh Yai Noi (bike nature tour). Going south Karon and Kata more family orientated but longer journey to get to the marinas/piers. Nai Harn has a nice beach and you can catch the boats from Chalong Pier.

Other sightseeing on Phuket - Elephant sanctuary (there are only 2 ethical ones), Phuket Town, Big Buddha, Wat Chalong.

Rain - had a fair few short heavy storms beginning of June but now back to lack of rain for a few weeks.
we wanted to stay at Amanpuri but itís June so the resort is closed.
so we decided on Rawai area ? You didnít mention that area ? Is it okay for honeymooners ? The articles Iíve read on google make it seem pretty good for what we want.

Likely would avoid patong all together unless theres some reason to go see it during the day. Everything Iíve read about it, just not our scene at all.
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:56 am

Likely would avoid patong all together unless theres some reason to go see it during the day. Everything Iíve read about it, just not our scene at all.
No reason to visit Patong during the day.
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:24 am

we wanted to stay at Amanpuri but itís June so the resort is closed.
so we decided on Rawai area ? You didnít mention that area ? Is it okay for honeymooners ? The articles Iíve read on google make it seem pretty good for what we want.

Nai Harn and Rawai are now really just one big area. Best hotel would be The Nai Harn but not up to Amanpuri level, the beach is nice and few shops and local restaurants within walking distance. Better hotels are north of Patong.