Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer in BKK on different tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Transfer in BKK on different tickets

Dear all,

arriving BKK at 11:20 from Oman (MCT), I would like to continue to Siem Reap (REP).

The leg BKK to REP isn't booked yet. There's a bunch of options, especially 14:05 or 17:40 with Bangkok Airlines seems attractive to me.

Would it be possible to make the 14:05, or better book 17:40? Not sure if we'll have to pass immigration, or if the transfer can be done airside?

Transferring 3 people, parents + one kid.

Any ideas appreciated.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the size of the group and the luggage, I'd recommend the safe connection at 17:40. You'll have to pass arriving immigration, get bags, pass Customs, go up to level 4, check in with PG then pass departing immigration.

Oman Air is a partner with PG, and with one, single ticket you may be able to check bags through BKK, and use the mid-field connection (security only).

What passport(s) are involved?

https://www.bangkokair.com/separate-ticket

Furthermore, with the revised new separate ticket policy, Bangkok Airways hold no responsibility for any mishandling or misconnect flight other than our operating flight from origin to destination reflected on Bangkok Airways’ ticket. This policy will apply to all inbound and outbound travel.

For INBOUND travel, Bangkok Airways will not accept through check both passenger and bags from International/domestic flight to connect with any PG flight in case of any two separate tickets issued. Passenger must claim the luggage and recheck in at Bangkok Airways check in counter to obtain PG boarding pass. For those traveling with International flight, passenger must also need to clear customs and immigration.
ca.funke likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If it was me I would book the 14:05 PG flight. There should be enough time to clear immigration, pick-up luggage and proceed to check-in with PG, even for a family with small children. My guess is that you will be at the PG check-in counters 1-1½ hours after your Oman air flight arrives BKK. In the unlikely event that you miss the 14:05 flight you go to the PG counters and pay to get rebooked to the next PG flight.

Anyway, it may be that Oman air will check your bags for final destination (REP) if you ask nicely and show your PG ticket at place of departure; then there is plenty of time to make it to the PG flight as you don't need to clear immigration at BKK and pick-up your luggage. Admittedly, I have no experience with Oman Air so I don't know if there is a chance that your bags will be checked to final destination or not with Oman Air.

One thing is certain, if you play it very safe and book the later PG flight and arrive BKK /the PG check-in counters with plenty of time to make it to the 14:05 flight, you will regret it/kick yourself that you didn't book the 14:05 PG flight but the later.

At the end of the day it really is up to you and what you feel most comfortable with. Admittedly, you don't need to worry and will not feel the same time pressure once arriving at BKK, if you book the later PG flight.
ca.funke likes this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jul 8, 2019 at 12:15 am
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Will use the 17:40 to be on the safe side.

Just called WY at our departure airport (ZRH) to see if they can organise check-through of bags. Answer: no.

This will add the joy of passing immigration in BKK, so with kids I don't want to risk any mess.

Originally Posted by transpac
What passport(s) are involved?
All Belgian.

We can also provide 2 German (father and kid) and one Lebanese (mother), but our experience is clear: All from one country, and then from EU, is usually easier and raises less eyebrows. Showing the Lebanese passport gets us into secondary every single time; so it's deeply burried in any case.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ca.funke
Thanks for the replies! Will use the 17:40 to be on the safe side.

Just called WY at our departure airport (ZRH) to see if they can organise check-through of bags. Answer: no.
OK. The answer is not surprising and as expected if inquiring about this in advance (and as waste of time to do it IMO - the answer was already given) - in fact I would be far more surprised if someone actually confirmed on the phone to check bags on separate tickets. Nevertheless, I deem that there is a fair chance that on the day of departure the check-in agent may feel pity on you and agree to check your bags all the way to REP if you ask nicely.

Do let us know how it turns out.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did post the PG through baggage rules for separate tickets as guidance. This was put in place a few years ago for security reasons, so I doubt that "pity" would ever allow an agent to circumvent security protocols put in place by the airline?

Posted again...

Furthermore, with the revised new separate ticket policy, Bangkok Airways hold no responsibility for any mishandling or misconnect flight other than our operating flight from origin to destination reflected on Bangkok Airways’ ticket. This policy will apply to all inbound and outbound travel.

For INBOUND travel, Bangkok Airways will not accept through check both passenger and bags from International/domestic flight to connect with any PG flight in case of any two separate tickets issued. Passenger must claim the luggage and recheck in at Bangkok Airways check in counter to obtain PG boarding pass. For those traveling with International flight, passenger must also need to clear customs and immigration.

Were this to be issued on one single ticket then the shorter connection could be ticketed as bags could be checked through, the mid-field connection utilized and protection offered on a later flight (space available).

The Belgian passports are a plus, Tourist Visa Exemption.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Oman Air tags the bags all the way to REP I fail to see how PG can enforce "we don't accept incoming bags on separate ticket" - PG will refuse to load the bags or put the bags on the luggage carousels for delivery at BKK? (in clear violation of the destination written on the tag). My guess is that this is just another bla.bla.bla and PG will not be able to tell if incoming bags tagged to final destination (with PG as a subsequent carrier) are on 1 ticket or separate tickets. So if Oman Air tags the bags to REP PG will have little choice than to load the bags as all other checked luggage tagged to final destination.

Any first hand experience with PG refusing to load bags tagged to final destination? I doubt it..
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: DL Plat
Hi All,

Similar question... I am considering a domestic to international connection at BKK with separate tickets...

Inbound flight from USM on PG
-exactly 3 hours from arrival to next departure-
Outbound flight from BKK on LX

We are 2 able bodied adults with checked bags... I assume based on the baggage rules of PG that we will have to claim bags from PG at BKK, and check in again with LX.

Thoughts? Is it doable?

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: UA/AA
Three hours should be plenty of time.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Three hours is doable unless you get caught in one of those once-every-so-often very long immigration lines, which, of course, is not likely. In the off chance that happens, you might want to have a printed copy of your second itinerary. If you ask nicely, others will likely allow you to move up the line so you can make your flight. Again, you likely will not need to do that but better to have the written evidence and not need it than have others not believe you and not allow you to make your connecting flight.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Three hours is doable unless you get caught in one of those once-every-so-often very long immigration lines, which, of course, is not likely. In the off chance that happens, you might want to have a printed copy of your second itinerary. If you ask nicely, others will likely allow you to move up the line so you can make your flight. Again, you likely will not need to do that but better to have the written evidence and not need it than have others not believe you and not allow you to make your connecting flight.
The mention of 3 hours makes me believe you're replying to Continited's thread hijack rather than the OP. Continited will have no immigration inbound and a boarding pass outbound so I don't see the benefit of the itinerary printout.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

? No Continited will have to pick-up the luggage at BKK and proceed to check-in with LX. PG at USM is unlikely to tag the bags all the way to ZRH and immigration will be at BKK rather than USM (no CIQ stickers in this situation)

Long immigration lines could be an issue (after check-in with LX of course, so the OP will be fine) but is unlikely as LX departs at noon rather than at midnight. 3 hours is plenty of time and there is nothing to worry about.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Similar situation but wanted to know if this is doable:

Flying KIX-BKK on JL in J class arriving at 440am. Large group of 4 adults and 4 kids, and 1 in stroller. Check in bags for everyone and all USA passports. Wanted to connect to PG onward to Siem Rep at 8am but don't know if that would be possible. There is also a 1035am flight. Which would you guys recommend?

We would be coming back to Thailand the next day in the evening to stay in Bangkok for a few days before our flight back to the States. Will this cause an issue with immigration?

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
You will not have an immigration issue. Many of us have gone through Thai immigration many times within a day or two without issue. It is extremely common.

As for which flight to take, I would opt for the later flight given it is less than three hours later, you have a large group, which might be harder to rebook on the next flight should you run into an issue, and you have kids, which can slow you down. The earlier flight is probably doable but why add the stress of trying to make it? Assuming you are visiting the UNESCO sites the second day you really lose nothing by getting into Cambodia a little later. Walk around the town in the afternoon, visit a few Wats, eat dinner around Pub Street... no need to be there before noon.

One more suggestion: Pack what you need for your one night in Cambodia and check the extra bags at the BKK Left Luggage office. It is fast, inexpensive, safe and easy. I have done this many times when I do not want to cart extra bags around nor pay to fly unnecessary luggage. My dirty underwear and winter sweater can live without seeing Cambodia.
anaggie and dav662 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anaggie
Similar situation but wanted to know if this is doable:

Flying KIX-BKK on JL in J class arriving at 440am. Large group of 4 adults and 4 kids, and 1 in stroller. Check in bags for everyone and all USA passports. Wanted to connect to PG onward to Siem Rep at 8am but don't know if that would be possible. There is also a 1035am flight. Which would you guys recommend?
It is certainly possible. You have more than 3 hours at BKK to pass immigration, collect your bags and proceed upstairs to the PG check-in counters. Nothing to worry about. Your incoming flight needs to be seriously late before you will not make it to the PG check-in counters in time. With less than 36 hours in Cambodia I wouldn't want to waste 2½ hours waiting for the 10:35AM flight

If JL would be prepared to check bags to final destination it would this BKK transfer a whole lot easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.