Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day trip from Bangkok to see elephants

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Day trip from Bangkok to see elephants

Looking for an ethical place, saw Elephant's World.

Never been to Thailand, so I have no clue here - I did gaze/graze through the stickies are more recent posts, but haven't found much (apologies if I missed something - pointers appreciated).

Looks like something of a haul from Bangkok, but I'm willing.

But how? Tour group? Hire a taxi for all day?

Any/all advice appreciated.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Look up tour guide Chob Panma and send him an e-mail, for a private guide and their own van. I went from Bangkok to Bang Pa In, Wat Phanan Choeng and Ayutthaya and back to Nothanburi for a very fair price for just two of us. English speaking guide and proper service. I don't recall the all day cost for Ayutthaya, but it was not a whole lot vs. driving or going on a 42 tourist, one bus, dreadful kind of thing.

That said I am not sure there are many instances of ethical and elephants in Thailand tourist attractions. Perhaps the one you mention is a rehabilitator.

Here's a good article from the Guardian on ethical elephant sanctuaries and it fails to mention your choice. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...youre-visiting

And an article from a volunteer at your choice telling people not to go : Animal Abuse at ElephantsWorld in Kanchanaburi, Thailand - Don't Volunteer Here

Maybe try Bang Pa In (it has topiary elephants) and the rest towards Ayutthaya and back?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I'm trying to find at least a place that doesn't offer (or show) rides, that seems to be a bad indicator right off the bat.

They at least say they're a rehabilitator/rescue place. But hey, it's the internet, people can say anything they want.

The places that seem the most legit also seem to be at pretty far distances from Bangkok.

Overall, I don't need to interact with the elephants in any way, not looking for a ride or to feed/bathe/touch them.

Thanks for the tour guide pointer as well!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No clue where to go but I love the elephant/road videos here...

Chachoengsao (worth a visit, not so far from Bangkok but a massive province, suspect the wild elephants are in the southeastern end)

This guy, on the motorbike, wore his brown pants, and the Wai saved him? Khao Yai.

Every year a tourist or two gets trampled to death by a male in heat, or the elephant runs off with the tourist, and occasionally they are found.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by smithrh
The places that seem the most legit also seem to be at pretty far distances from Bangkok.
When you consider that Bangkok is nowhere near the remaining natural habitat areas for elephants, it should be clear that there's no way it'd be an easy day trip if you want an ethical animal sanctuary.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Haha - of course, you're right, I didn't consider natural habitat when booking!

Seems like I've got some diminishing options here unless I go to one of the less ethical places, which I'm not all that hot on, to be honest.

Someone not making the trip with me may have to wind up being disappointed. Ugh.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you consider that Bangkok is nowhere near the remaining natural habitat areas for elephants

No clue what is meant by "nowhere near" but Khao Ang Rue Nai National Wildlife sanctuary in Chachoengsao is less than 200 Km (2:45 driving time) from Bangkok. This is a large natural forest, This is where the first video I posted above is from.

That said, might be a bit like whale watching, you might see some elephants, you might not, and getting there might be a challenge?

https://goo.gl/maps/bgtfaUwFLfCgFL6o8

Khao Yai is a bit closer.

https://goo.gl/maps/MQEYUCtznPmiLTbVA
glennaa11 likes this.

Last edited by transpac; Apr 23, 2019 at 10:27 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: HH, IHG
Tagging on here because I'm curious as well. I found this place https://www.umetravel.com/thailand-e...sanctuary.html in Pattaya, about 2.5 hours from Bangkok. That may be a little much for us, since we're only doing 2 nights / 1.5 days in Bangkok before heading to Krabi (Railay).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.