Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Suvarnabhumi BKK Airport restaurants charge VAT at 7%,

Old Feb 17, 19, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Had a meal at the Sushi Restaurant after immigration exiting, and in departure hall, and
when bill came, there was a VAT charge of 7% of the meal cost. How can the restaurant, and
I guess all the other restaurants do as well, satisfy this VAT charge when we are technically no
longer in Thailand. Where is this VAT charge going -- kept by restaurant, airport, or Thai government.

Of course, when I questioned the wait staff, they all look puzzled and said I was still in Thailand, and
therefore VAT should be paid. The fact that there's Duty Free made no impression on them.
Old Feb 17, 19, 8:12 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I think your premise is flawed. You're still in Thailand and subject to Thai law as long as you're on Thai soil. Passing exit control merely means that you aren't allowed out of the contained area.

Suppose you committed a crime after exit control. Would Thai police arrest you?
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, you're confusing VAT and Duty/Excise/Ad Valorem etc, completely different "taxes".

It is a bit weird here though, some/most things have VAT already included in the published price - pretty much everything (yes, detailed receipts show the lower "price" and associated VAT broken out), except some restaurants. And more and more restaurants also charge another 10% Service Charge.

VAT is collected and passed to the government.

Last edited by transpac; Feb 17, 19 at 3:26 pm
Old Feb 17, 19, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac View Post
Yeah, you're confusing VAT and Duty/Excise/Ad Valorem etc, completely different "taxes".

It is a bit weird here though, some/most things have VAT already included in the published price - pretty much everything (yes, detailed receipts show the lower "price" and associated VAT broken out), except some restaurants. And more and more restaurants also charge another 10% Service Charge.

VAT is collected and passed to the government.
I disagree that my premise is flawed. On purchases made in-country, per store per day exceeding 2,000 baht, items being exported and confirmed by Customs Dept at airport, pax is entitled to VAT refunded at about a computed rate of 4% (representing the 7% VAT being charged) collectible in Departure Hall at VAT Refund counter. This is because I'm already considered "out of country".

I'm not sure if VAT is charged on items purchased at a store inside the Departure Hall after Immigration exit. If you ask at a retail shop, I'm sure the staff would say VAT is not included, even though the price shown may actually include a VAT charge.

As for a crime committed inside the Departure Hall or within the territorial limits, Thai law would apply but that's because of int'l maritime law governing things like marriages, birth, death, etc?
Old Feb 17, 19, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by tangoll View Post
How can the restaurant, and I guess all the other restaurants do as well, satisfy this VAT charge when we are technically no
longer in Thailand.
Originally Posted by tangoll View Post
I disagree that my premise is flawed. ... As for a crime committed inside the Departure Hall or within the territorial limits, Thai law would apply but that's because of int'l maritime law governing things like marriages, birth, death, etc?
Your premise and analysis are both flawed. The area after Immigration is not outside of Thailand in the same way that an Embassy is. When your plane lands, you're in Thailand; you just haven't been processed through Immigration yet.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:28 pm

In addition, in a restaurant, you are clearly consuming the items in Thailand, as opposed to making a duty free purchase for export.

-David
ajGoes and joy16 like this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 18, 19 at 7:39 pm
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Titanium UA Gold NEXUS
This is consistently true in all countries. In Canada in US preclearance (ie you have already cleared US Immigration and so have "left" Canada and entered the United States) you pay HST (the equivalent of VAT) , in Toronto the rate is 13%. Similarly in Australia post immigration GST at 10% is still applied. So your premise isn't the correct interpretation of tax law, both in Thailand and other places.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 9:14 pm

Also note that the goods that are sold duty free are often sold in bond which means they never enter the Thailand for tax registration purposes.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:31 am

[QUOTE=tangoll;30790419]I disagree that my premise is flawed. On purchases made in-country, per store per day exceeding 2,000 baht, items being exported and confirmed by Customs Dept at airport, .....

So your premise is that the sushi you consumed is going to be exported in your stomach?
Old Feb 22, 19, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People seem to be confusing/conflating VAT with Duty, Excise, Ad Valorem. VAT is a sales tax - still at the "temporary" reduced level of 7 %.

In some cases, tourists can reclaim VAT, in town (Siam Paragon, Central World) or at the airport.

The Revenue Department

IME here, VAT is almost always included in the price of anything, so a Samsung 55" UHD/4K TV at 14,490 includes VAT (~947.94) in the advertised price. Only in the case of food in some restaurants, is it added on top of the menu price. IMO, adding it to menu items in a restaurant air-side seems consistent. Obviously, the OP is free to take the matter up with the various elements of the Thai "government", whom I'm sure will no doubt address his concerns.
Old Feb 23, 19, 1:47 am

Just wait until the poster finds out about leaving a tip on a restuarant bill that already charged a 10% service charge! 😂😂

Last edited by northsideguy; Feb 23, 19 at 10:29 pm
Old Feb 23, 19, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My broadband service (AIS Fiber, 200/50) is priced ex-VAT, so 699/month, but in total 748. My post-paid mobile phone service is also priced ex-VAT, so 599/month, but 643 all in.

So maybe it's more of a hodge-podge than I thought?

Search this Thread