Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thai vs BA vs EVA LHR-BKK Economy

Old Jan 18, 19, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone.

I know this is an oft talked about subject but it is also one that is constantly changing so here goes.

My partner and I would like to fly from London to Bangkok in mid February. We are both nervous flyers and so value a good safety record and "feelings" of safety and I am 6ft2 (189cm) so not a great start really. I was originally looking at EVA Premium Economy but at nearly twice the price and without the ability to sit in the 2 seats at the side (i checked the seat maps with EVA on dummy bookings) it hardly seems worth it.

So given that I am tall and that we are both safety and price conscious (who isn't?) which do you recommend?

I see that both BA and EVA fly the 777-300 but Thai the A380-800, does this make a significant difference? Does either "feel" like a safer or less turbulent flight?

To provide further context it would seem that Thai are about 500-550, EVA 600-700 and BA 600-800. I notice however that Thai have only 5/7 on airlineratings for safety but BA and EVA have 7/7 but how much does this actually matter?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated from you knowledgeable folk!
Old Jan 18, 19, 3:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by klang180 View Post
Hello everyone.

I know this is an oft talked about subject but it is also one that is constantly changing so here goes.

My partner and I would like to fly from London to Bangkok in mid February. We are both nervous flyers and so value a good safety record and "feelings" of safety and I am 6ft2 (189cm) so not a great start really. I was originally looking at EVA Premium Economy but at nearly twice the price and without the ability to sit in the 2 seats at the side (i checked the seat maps with EVA on dummy bookings) it hardly seems worth it.

So given that I am tall and that we are both safety and price conscious (who isn't?) which do you recommend?

I see that both BA and EVA fly the 777-300 but Thai the A380-800, does this make a significant difference? Does either "feel" like a safer or less turbulent flight?

To provide further context it would seem that Thai are about 500-550, EVA 600-700 and BA 600-800. I notice however that Thai have only 5/7 on airlineratings for safety but BA and EVA have 7/7 but how much does this actually matter?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated from you knowledgeable folk!

Well, you will be safe on any of them, so there's that .....

I think most people like the "feel" of the A380 if they are nervous flyers. It's big, so you can walk around. Can almost forget you're on a plane sometimes. Feels like a boat with the wide cabin and stairs and such.... And if you score a "side bin" at the window, that's nice! I don't pay too much attention to safety rankings, unless the airline has a history of safety-culture issues/mishaps/crashes. I enjoy flying Thai and EVA. Not so much BA, but that's not due to safety....

IME, the turbulence feels a bit "muffled" on an A380, but then again I'm not bothered by turbulence in general (unless I spill my booze). I've been rocked around a lot on other aircraft, but nothing too crazy yet on an A380 (I realize that's just my experience). Based on your post, I'd go non-stop on the Thai A380....
Old Jan 18, 19, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paella747 View Post
Well, you will be safe on any of them, so there's that .....

I think most people like the "feel" of the A380 if they are nervous flyers. It's big, so you can walk around. Can almost forget you're on a plane sometimes. Feels like a boat with the wide cabin and stairs and such.... And if you score a "side bin" at the window, that's nice! I don't pay too much attention to safety rankings, unless the airline has a history of safety-culture issues/mishaps/crashes. I enjoy flying Thai and EVA. Not so much BA, but that's not due to safety....

IME, the turbulence feels a bit "muffled" on an A380, but then again I'm not bothered by turbulence in general (unless I spill my booze). I've been rocked around a lot on other aircraft, but nothing too crazy yet on an A380 (I realize that's just my experience). Based on your post, I'd go non-stop on the Thai A380....
Thanks so much Paella that is really helpful. I love the thought of you being miffed more by spilling you drink than the turbulence, if only i had such a response!

One vote for Thai, which is handy as they are the cheapest too!
Old Jan 18, 19, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Another thought was how busy each airline will be? Nothing does more to make a flight more bearable than when it isn't full. We flew BA on this route about 6 years ago and it was rammed full and think it would be again so I think BA is probably a non-starter anyway.
Old Jan 19, 19, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by klang180 View Post
Another thought was how busy each airline will be? Nothing does more to make a flight more bearable than when it isn't full. We flew BA on this route about 6 years ago and it was rammed full and think it would be again so I think BA is probably a non-starter anyway.
A very good point. Also, are you collecting airline points, and hoping to credit to which FF program?